St.Croix Punching Rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

St.Croix Punching Rod?

Post by joeim8 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:41 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted to get a new st.croix rod for punching but I'm not sure exactly which one to get get so I'm looking for helpful advice.

I was looking at the legend xtreme series which is what most of my other rods are but I noticed in the legend tournament series they have a model specifically for punching. Should I go with the legend tournament punching rod which is a (7'9 Heavy ModFast) or should I go with the Legend xtreme flipping rod which is a (7'11 Heavy Mod/Fast)? I guess I the legend tournament flipping rod is also an option with the same exact (7'11 Heavy Mod/Fast) as the xtreme if anyone doesnt think the xtremes are worth the exta $150 or so. The only difference I notice between the two legend tournament series besides that the flipping rod is 2 inches longer is also that the the handle on the punching rod is about 1 inch longer. Also most guys I talk to prefer a 7'10 to 8' rod length so that kind of was one of my concerns with the legend tournament specific punching rod but then again they did design the rod specifically for pitching lol.

Anyway I don't know guys I have really only used a 7'6 rod for light pitching/flipping so I don't have much experience anyway I really appreciate any insight on this as these rods are getting so expensive I want to make sure I get the best one for the application.

Thanks