Ultra Finesse Baitcasting rods.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
emfry821
Angler
Angler

Ultra Finesse Baitcasting rods.

Post by emfry821 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:14 am

I have tried to find a USDM finesse baitcasting rod. I have come acrosss the Dobyns DX701 and 702 but even those are not quite the ultra finesse I want. Outside of those two rods I have been unsuccessful at finding any other decent finesse rods. I am looking for one with the 1/32 to 1/4 oz. Through all my search I only find decent ultra finesse baitcasters in the JDM. I noticed a trend of the USDM selling more Finesse baitcasters and would like to think the rods will be coming in droves to fill the void. Kistler does have a medium light rod at 1/16 to 3/8. But still to my knowledge I can not find an under 250 ultra light baitcasting rod in the USDM. If there is any information others have to help in my search I would greatly appreciate it. I will be using a Daiwa SS air. The major craft volkey 65UL will be my main reference point.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ultra Finesse Baitcasting rods.

Post by Schlag » Thu May 08, 2014 2:23 am

Congrats on getting the SS Air.

I would love to have a USDM option, but I can't see that happening. There's not enough demand. It would be like asking Ford or GM to develope/build/market a car in America, which would only appeal to 1% of US population. As you already know, large companies build for the masses. People get fired for developing/marketing a dog.

With that weight range, you're in a very nitch market of casting rods, which are only offered in Japan. Other than the PX Type R, none of the finesse casting reels or aftermarket BFS spools are marketed to the United States. Even Shimano USA knew they wouldn't sell enough Jackall Adrena BFS rods to make it worth while (I would have bought one). If you don't want to go the JDM route, then you're forced to go custom (NFC, St. Croix, Batson, Lami or Phenix blank).

Other than Major Craft, here are two more JDM options in your price range.

http://www.jackson.jp/quon/products/r_trickster.html

http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/molla/

Good luck on your search!

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Thu May 08, 2014 5:10 am

St. Croix does have a rod with those ratings in the Legend Inshore series. It has been mentioned before in some other posts. I have no experience with it and I don't recall anyone posting their experiences with it either. It does not meet your criteria as far as price.

Good luck with your search.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu May 08, 2014 7:33 am

Here's my solution, for now:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 433678.uts

Many here would turn up their noses at it: IM6, 2-piece 7-footer with aluminum oxide guides, $49.99. The cork grips are of low-grade cork.

But it has 9 well-aligned guides plus a tip-top and, most importantly for your quest, casts light lures very well. I recently used mine for about an hour and, with a stock Revo LTX spooled with .0092" stiffish mono, repeatedly casted a 1/32 oz ballhead jig with a 1 3/4" Crappie Slider jig 40-50 feet. A 1/16 oz. Roostertail spinner sailed about 55 feet.

It weighs 4.3 oz. I only hooked panfish and a wee catfish, so can't confirm my suspicion that this rod will be overmatched by any bass over two pounds; I think one would need open water and patience to subdue larger fish with this rod. But the lures I bought this rod for are far more likely to be struck by frisky young'ns than lunkers. (It is rated up to 5/8 oz., but that is absurdly high; 1/4 oz. tops.)

If you'd consider trying a $50 rod while continuing your search for the best one you can afford, this is the best option I was able to find.

emfry821
Angler
Angler

Post by emfry821 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:36 am

Thanks for the information. It looks like I got a couple choices.

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jlb » Thu May 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Kistler he 3 also offers a special order light action

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:07 am

http://www.stcroixrods.com/products/sal ... nd-inshore

Here are the St. Croix rods, one of which is rated down to 1/32.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Fri May 09, 2014 5:23 am

I'd give a JS Company Bixod a shot.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Having a custom casting rod made using a light action spinning blank would be an option too.