Who is the sensitivity king for 2014?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Who is the sensitivity king for 2014?

Post by joeyblackwood » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:11 pm

In the old tackletour forum I remember seeing a list many put together of rods and rod companies based on sensitivity. At the time I remember Gloomis GLX being either top dog or tied for most sensitive rod on the market. What about today, 2014? Has Megabass knocked them down a notch? Are nrx rods really THAT much more sensitive than a GLX? What say you? What rod is the king of sensitivity for 2014?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Who is the sensitivity king for 2014?

Post by tywithay » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:53 pm

The two most sensitive rods I have used are the NRX and Edge 705. I haven't used any of the high end Megabass, but I know those two are far more sensitive than the Orochi XX. They beat the GLX rods I've had in the past too. I prefer the Legend Elite/Extreme over the GLX too.

dusty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dusty » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:24 pm

There is loomis and then there is everyone else. Beliee dat.

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Phenix K2 > Loomis

Fattygreens
Angler
Angler

Post by Fattygreens » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:27 am

^^^ This guy must be smokin that good stuff.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:04 am

k2> bearing down> edge (real loomis)>nrx (shimloomis)

Sensitivity is in the hand of the holder... These are my picks, yours will differ

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:18 pm

I have fished the K2, the NRX and the DX. I would rate them in that order, BUT I think the DX and K2 are better values as the difference between them is not that great for the price difference of an NRX.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:30 pm

I can't tell a difference in sensitivity between my K2's, NFC HM's and Legend Xtremes (what I currently use). Trying to find the right action/power in the high end rods for what I want to fish is the tricky part. The right rod paired with the right reel wt, line, and technique can have that "it" factor that's hard to find…I wish experimenting wasn't so expensive!

jtrotter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jtrotter » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:02 am

Kistler ZBone... I fished the LE 7'3" MH4 ZBone vs the NRX 843 CCR and after almost a year on the water I leaned toward the ZBone. I had the exact reels, line and lures on each rod... both are excellent and one can not go wrong with either, but there was something different about the Zbone...it just felt better... I caught more fish ... especially on the lite-bite days. as the Kistler tag line says: fishing never felt so good.

Jt

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:01 am

I personally still believe that Loomis rods have the greatest sensitivity. However, it might because I use the Loomis rods more often than my other rods so I am accustomed to the sensitivity.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:18 am

Hi joeyblackwood,

Sensitivity is basically a subjective opinion of the user. I see opinions all the time about how sensitive or not sensitive a certain rod is and my experience may be entirely different. There is no true sensitivity test that I know about except to fish the rod and form your own opinion. I think that your line plays a bigger role in knowing what is going on at the end of your line than the rod. There are not many graphite rods today that is not sensitive enough to catch fish and paying top dollar for a rod doesn't guarantee you will be getting the best sensitivity. When I buy a rod sensitivity is low on my criteria. I am always cautious when someone raves about the sensitivity of a rod. I am much more interested in how tip heavy a rod is, how light it is, what guides it has and how fast the tip is. Sensitivity will take care of its self if I use the correct line.

Frank

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:33 am

Nice points, I recently switched back to gloomis rods from dobyns, with the exception of my 735 champion frog stick. I find I enjoy the loomis rods more due to their more sensitive feel. Don't get me wrong, I liked my all my dobyns and recommend them to people just getting into higher end gear, but I feel loomis rods sensitivity is a better value as GLX Loomis rods are now easily obtainable used for less than the price of the champion series rods. The dx rods are extremely close to a glx sensitivity wise but less versatile overall IMO.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:45 am

Out of all the rods I've fished the Kistler Z Bone ranks #1 in sensitivity. I have 3 customs and they're all killer. I've fished Dobyns DX, Loomis GLX and Megabass X4 and Orochi XX and I think it easily bests them all. The NFC blanks are really special.

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Hands down St. Croix Legend Elite, Extreme is as sensitive just hate the handle, the NRX is right there with them, and like the handle better than the Extreme, but the Elite beats em both in that department. Forget the GLX when you say MOST SENSITIVE, it's good but nowhere even close to these three rods. As far as being in the individuals hand, if one of these rods haven't put that feeling there,,,,,you have no idea what your hand is missing!!! There may be those that rate most sesative by cost, or better buy, but I rate Most Sensitive without restricting price, most is most,,,,period!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:37 pm

Run the line over your index finger and you have ultimate sensitivity, no matter what setup you're using.
If you are asking the rod to tell you when you're bit, you're sleep walking.