Need help choosing rod for Shimano Calais DC!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Need help choosing rod for Shimano Calais DC!

Post by fishingman88 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:59 pm

So I've been using a custom G. Loomis GL2 rod (7', 10-17lb line rating, 1/4-3/4oz lure weight) with my Shimano Calais DC. However, I'm not satisfied with the distance I get when throwing 1/2 oz lures. Anybody out there throw lures in the 1/2 oz range and find a rod that they think pairs well with the Shimano Calais DC?

*FYI I am using this rod to throw 1/2 oz plugs off a high pier near the beaches. I currently have 20lb Sufix 832 on my Calais DC as well.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need help choosing rod for Shimano Calais DC!

Post by tywithay » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:10 am

What's the price range you're looking at? There's several good options, but they might run everywhere from $100 up to $500+.

Just as a blind guess, I think the 7'7" MH 13 Fishing Omen Green would be a fantastic choice for launching those plugs into orbit. However, any rod should be able to cast them extremely far with a Calais DC attached. Have you tried changing the internal settings to long cast mode, or even extreme mode (assuming you have an educated thumb and good conditions)?

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:45 am

St Croix Legend Extreme LXC78MHM

http://stcroixrods.com/products/freshwater/legendxtreme

I have this same combo & it will cast effortlessly.

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:19 pm

tywithay wrote:What's the price range you're looking at? There's several good options, but they might run everywhere from $100 up to $500+.

Just as a blind guess, I think the 7'7" MH 13 Fishing Omen Green would be a fantastic choice for launching those plugs into orbit. However, any rod should be able to cast them extremely far with a Calais DC attached. Have you tried changing the internal settings to long cast mode, or even extreme mode (assuming you have an educated thumb and good conditions)?
My price range is up to $500, but if the benefits of spending $200 more don't get me but 10% better performance, then I'd rather save that money.

I've been looking at the Omen Green series, but I can't seem to pull the trigger since I can't handle one in person.

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:23 pm

dhottle wrote:St Croix Legend Extreme LXC78MHM

dhottle,

Thanks for the great recommendation. I really like the specifications of the rod (especially since it can toss up to 1oz if needed.

Just curious, but have you tried the Avid or Avid Inshore series rods? The Avid AVC76MHMF throws 3/8 - 1.25 oz and costs almost $200 less so I am wondering if the Legend Xtreme offers that much of a performance difference.

I've been looking at additional G. Loomis rods and the GWR 901 C looks tempting as well? Says it will throw 1/4 - 1.25 oz and the price is about right as well.

Still looking for additional input, so thanks in advance.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:04 am

fishingman88 wrote:

dhottle,

Thanks for the great recommendation. I really like the specifications of the rod (especially since it can toss up to 1oz if needed.

Just curious, but have you tried the Avid or Avid Inshore series rods? The Avid AVC76MHMF throws 3/8 - 1.25 oz and costs almost $200 less so I am wondering if the Legend Xtreme offers that much of a performance difference.

I've been looking at additional G. Loomis rods and the GWR 901 C looks tempting as well? Says it will throw 1/4 - 1.25 oz and the price is about right as well.

I have the Avid AVC70MM & the Avid AVC70HM both 7' long. The advantage to the legend extreme is the increased sensitivity over the avid line. I also have a custom Otterod built on the 5C72MHM blank at 7'2" long. I personally use the legend extreme & custom blank for jerkbait fishing and yes it is worth the extra $200 to me. If I was only using them for crankbaits then the cost savings of the avid would probably prevail.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:55 pm

The Megabass X4 Destruction is definitely worth a look. I have fished 1/2oz baits on mine, and I have been very pleased with the results.

I have a Calcutta 201DC on mine, and it is a thing of beauty...so much fun to fish.

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:24 pm

dhottle wrote:
fishingman88 wrote:

dhottle,

I have the Avid AVC70MM & the Avid AVC70HM both 7' long. The advantage to the legend extreme is the increased sensitivity over the avid line. I also have a custom Otterod built on the 5C72MHM blank at 7'2" long. I personally use the legend extreme & custom blank for jerkbait fishing and yes it is worth the extra $200 to me. If I was only using them for crankbaits then the cost savings of the avid would probably prevail.
Thanks dhottle. That information is really great to know. I'll have to handle them in person next weekend, but this definitely narrows down my search for a rod to pair with my Calais DC. Appreciate everything.

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:The Megabass X4 Destruction is definitely worth a look. I have fished 1/2oz baits on mine, and I have been very pleased with the results.

I have a Calcutta 201DC on mine, and it is a thing of beauty...so much fun to fish.

I REALLY want to try out the Megabass X4 rods, but to be honest, I'm a little disappointed in the 3 year warranty :( Paying $300+ for a rod should come with better than 3 years IMHO. Maybe the performance will change my mind, but not being able to try one in person makes me quite hesitant as well.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:37 am

fishingman88 wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:The Megabass X4 Destruction is definitely worth a look. I have fished 1/2oz baits on mine, and I have been very pleased with the results.

I REALLY want to try out the Megabass X4 rods, but to be honest, I'm a little disappointed in the 3 year warranty :( Paying $300+ for a rod should come with better than 3 years IMHO. Maybe the performance will change my mind, but not being able to try one in person makes me quite hesitant as well.
I thought the same thing myself...then I fished this sweet stick and I couldn't be happier. 8-)

As Homer Simpson would say, Dooo ittt! :lol: :evil22:

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:57 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
fishingman88 wrote:

I thought the same thing myself...then I fished this sweet stick and I couldn't be happier. 8-)

As Homer Simpson would say, Dooo ittt! :lol: :evil22:

Haha, you're like the gambling side of my mind which screams at me to buy new gear without touching it :D I'm considering it now.