Finesse Rod med or med hvy?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
suprteck
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Finesse Rod med or med hvy?

Post by suprteck » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:35 pm

I have a daiwa px type r and want to throw weightless flukes and worms and wonder will a med rod have enough backbone to set the hook through the plastic? Was thinking about getting a Kistler KLX Finesse worm, tube and jig rod Med hvy 1/8-3/8 oz

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Finesse Rod med or med hvy?

Post by CaptBob » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:59 am

for finesse I I prefer the Med over a Med Heavy, but for good hookset's or fishing deeper water whichever I am using I want and Extra Fast action! MXF is what I use.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:23 am

I'm in for a Medium also. Fast of XF would be my choice also. Medium will be softer overall than a MH and a medium with a F or XF tip lets you get into the backbone of the rod quicker on soft plastic hooksets. Moving baits it's not as important , so you can move south of the Fast action if you prefer (moderate fast/Moderate, etc,).

Just my opinion.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:10 pm

suprteck wrote:I have a daiwa px type r and want to throw weightless flukes and worms and wonder will a med rod have enough backbone to set the hook through the plastic? Was thinking about getting a Kistler KLX Finesse worm, tube and jig rod Med hvy 1/8-3/8 oz
The KLX f/w/j MH is a perfect rod for what you want to do. It's not really a MH, definitely more towards medium. I have one, its a lighter rod in action and application than the Powell 683. If Powell made a 682 in fast instead of x-fast, this is what it would be. The rod does fish longer than it's 6'9" spec would suggest as it has a very short grip - love the semi micro guides, too! The rod will cast a 4" Senko on a 2/0 hook without additional weight. A 5" Senko will load perfectly but I wouldn't go any higher. I like it with 1/4 oz finesse jigs with small trailers, 3" grubs on a 3/16 spinner bait and with 5" kut tail worms or 3.5" tubes texas rigged w/ 1/8, 3/16 or 1/4 bullet, also. The KLX (6'9" with a CH50e and 8lb Tatsu) is my smallmouth river/creek rod and I use it for 3/8 jerks and other small stuff on stillwater for LM, too.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Medium will work. I like a fast action and not an xfast as the tip is too fast. The two rods I use are a DX742 and a Megabass X4 Super Mirage. Both throw weightless flukes and 4" senkos well. I have used a PX68 on both and like 10lb fluoro.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:42 am

njbasscat wrote:Medium will work. I like a fast action and not an xfast as the tip is too fast. The two rods I use are a DX742 and a Megabass X4 Super Mirage. Both throw weightless flukes and 4" senkos well. I have used a PX68 on both and like 10lb fluoro.
Compared to the DX742, how's the sensitivity of the Super Mirage?

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:46 am

I use a Dobyns Champ 683SF spinning rod Medium Power Fast action for the techniques you mentioned. It works great for the weightless flukes and 4" Senkos, a bit under gunned for a 5" senko IMO.

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:56 am

I use a DX743, for weightless flukes. . .the 743 loads nice and you can detect those subtle, "swimming at you" bites. The rod has the length and power to pull fish away from cover.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:04 am

Schlag wrote:
njbasscat wrote:Medium will work. I like a fast action and not an xfast as the tip is too fast. The two rods I use are a DX742 and a Megabass X4 Super Mirage. Both throw weightless flukes and 4" senkos well. I have used a PX68 on both and like 10lb fluoro.
Compared to the DX742, how's the sensitivity of the Super Mirage?
In my hands it's a little more sensitive but the Dobyns is balanced better. The Mirage seems to have a medium tip and medium heavy backbone and I've pulled some decent size bass out of cover. I have been fishing the Super Mirage for a couple months and like it a lot. Im getting my broken 742 replaced and plan on selling it.

suprteck
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by suprteck » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:32 pm

cornmuse wrote:
suprteck wrote:I have a daiwa px type r and want to throw weightless flukes and worms and wonder will a med rod have enough backbone to set the hook through the plastic? Was thinking about getting a Kistler KLX Finesse worm, tube and jig rod Med hvy 1/8-3/8 oz
The KLX f/w/j MH is a perfect rod for what you want to do. It's not really a MH, definitely more towards medium. I have one, its a lighter rod in action and application than the Powell 683. If Powell made a 682 in fast instead of x-fast, this is what it would be. The rod does fish longer than it's 6'9" spec would suggest as it has a very short grip - love the semi micro guides, too! The rod will cast a 4" Senko on a 2/0 hook without additional weight. A 5" Senko will load perfectly but I wouldn't go any higher. I like it with 1/4 oz finesse jigs with small trailers, 3" grubs on a 3/16 spinner bait and with 5" kut tail worms or 3.5" tubes texas rigged w/ 1/8, 3/16 or 1/4 bullet, also. The KLX (6'9" with a CH50e and 8lb Tatsu) is my smallmouth river/creek rod and I use it for 3/8 jerks and other small stuff on stillwater for LM, too.
I see only a 7' KLX finesse worm and jig KLXFWTJ70MH. They are out of stock of that model too. Was also thinking about getting a Helium 3 med extra fast. 1/8-1/2 oz 8-12lb test