Help deciding Dobyns Champion 735c vs. 765 Flip

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Help deciding Dobyns Champion 735c vs. 765 Flip

Post by Backlash Picker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:17 am

Hello,

I am trying to decide between the Champion 735c and the Champion 765 Flip. I am leaning toward the 735c because it might be more versatile. I plan to use it for a few, somewhat different, applications: (a) pitching 1/4 to 1 oz. weighted texas rigged plastics and jigs into moderate to heavy pads and grass, (b) casting 1 to 1.5 oz. topwaters and swim baits, such as Mattlures U2 Gill, Deps Buzzjet, and the Blackdog small Shell Cracker and (c) frogging - which I am just starting to learn about. I'll use braid.

Both rods have the same line rating and similar lure ratings (735c is 1/4 ti 1 1/2 oz. and 765fip is 1/4 to 2 oz.)

I already own a Champion 734c and love it. But it seemed a bit under-powered when a bass buried itself into heavier slop (application "a" noted above) and it also isn't designed to cast lures like the U2 Gill (application "b"). I think the 736c would be much more powerful rod than I need. So a 5-power looks right.

Price-wise, the Champion series are the very tops that I can afford, so rods in the DX series or Megabass rods are out of my price range. And for the same reasons, I can't really afford to buy different rods for each application. I like Dobyns, but would be open to other rods.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Backlash Picker

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Help deciding Dobyns Champion 735c vs. 765 Flip

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:49 am

I would lean towards the flip. If it fishes like my 765 DX then I would pick it over my 735 for the weights your planning on throwing

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:32 am

For the weights you have listed, I would go with the 765 Flip.

Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Post by Backlash Picker » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:18 am

Thanks for the advice. You are getting me to rethink things, which brings up two more questions: Why do you think the Champ 765 Flip would be better than the 735 ... and ... how do the tip action of the rods differ?

Thanks again,

Backlash

patrickatryon
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickatryon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:52 am

765 hands down. It will flip better due to the slightly longer length. The 735 is an awesome pitching stick, but the 765 is a good compromise between an 8 foot flipping stick, and 7 to 7'3" pitching stick. Especially with your listed weights, I think the 765 will actually more versatile for you. I also find the 765 to be the most sensitive of the champion fliping rods

You noted that you will sometimes use it to frog, but that it is a new technique for you. The 765 is currently my frogging rod, and I'm really liking the extra length for hooksets. It is longer than a traditional frog stick, but certainly capable considering you would only use it periodically for frogging. My recommendation is that you go with the 765 now and come back for a 735 or 736 when you want a dedicated frog rod.

As for the tips, to me are fairly similar, though the 735 is slightly softer, which is why it excels as a frog rod. The biggest difference is the 765 has more backbone. You won't have many bass bury themselves on the 765, and if they do, you'd have to go get them using any rod. If they are so far down that you can't get them out with a 765, pulling them harder with a more powerful stick means it's more likely that you'll just rip the hook out. Using the more powerful flipping sticks really just aids you in getting their head turned quicker so they don't have the chance to bury you, not necessarily so you can pull them out of anything.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:25 pm

patrickatryon wrote:765 hands down. It will flip better due to the slightly longer length. The 735 is an awesome pitching stick, but the 765 is a good compromise between an 8 foot flipping stick, and 7 to 7'3" pitching stick. Especially with your listed weights, I think the 765 will actually more versatile for you. I also find the 765 to be the most sensitive of the champion fliping rods

You noted that you will sometimes use it to frog, but that it is a new technique for you. The 765 is currently my frogging rod, and I'm really liking the extra length for hooksets. It is longer than a traditional frog stick, but certainly capable considering you would only use it periodically for frogging. My recommendation is that you go with the 765 now and come back for a 735 or 736 when you want a dedicated frog rod.

As for the tips, to me are fairly similar, though the 735 is slightly softer, which is why it excels as a frog rod. The biggest difference is the 765 has more backbone. You won't have many bass bury themselves on the 765, and if they do, you'd have to go get them using any rod. If they are so far down that you can't get them out with a 765, pulling them harder with a more powerful stick means it's more likely that you'll just rip the hook out. Using the more powerful flipping sticks really just aids you in getting their head turned quicker so they don't have the chance to bury you, not necessarily so you can pull them out of anything.
Agree.

I would feel very uncomfortable pitching 1oz weight + plastic /w the 735. I haven't used the 765 but I have used the 766. The 766 has a tad more power than what you are wanting for 1/4oz+ plastic, though it will handle the larger topwaters and swim baits, which would lead me to the 765. If you are pitching heavy 1oz + weights into heavy junk, i'd prefer the 766 but that's just me. The 765 will work for 1oz + plastic from what I've read though.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:31 am

patrickatryon wrote:765 hands down. It will flip better due to the slightly longer length. The 735 is an awesome pitching stick, but the 765 is a good compromise between an 8 foot flipping stick, and 7 to 7'3" pitching stick. Especially with your listed weights, I think the 765 will actually more versatile for you. I also find the 765 to be the most sensitive of the champion fliping rods

^^^^ What he said

Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Post by Backlash Picker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks for your advice. I couldn't decide so I bought both. Bought the Champ 765 Flip and then got 40% off the Coalition 735. Seemed like a good compromise. Got a good price from Valley Sports. Can't wait until they are delivered.

Backlash

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:34 am

Sweet! Use the 735 for your frog rod & the 765 for everything else. :D