Best crankbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Notaclue
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Best crankbait rod

Post by Notaclue » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:50 am

Need help, took my glass cb w/old style BBIN out yesterday and found out it's heavy. Looking for litewt 7'1" to 7'4" for med to lg cranks. Does anyone know the wt of the old BBIN's, have 2 and hate to retire them. Setup was Phenix XG2 7'4"w/lews BBIN made in Japan. Thought of switching to curado E-5 I am not using but don't know if wt diff. would help very much. thanks

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best crankbait rod

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:21 am

My bb-1mb (bb1n with mag brakes) weighs 9.71oz. So I'm guessing yours weighs 9oz-9.5oz. I can't get to my bb1n to weigh it atm. Not really that heavy imo, not for a deep cranking reel.

Listen. Forget retiring them- breathe new life into them! Slap a 100mm carbon handle on there & send em to e_bassfisher for supertuning.
Old lews are the sh*t for cranking. Don't get blinded by the new weight weenie light reels. Old tanks still have their place in a lineup & will perform dependably. You wouldn't throw out you're old balsa cranks for new plastic ones would ya?
Its like muscle cars. New cars beat them on paper & specs, but a 69 chevelle will always make people drool. It's timeless. it will never be obsolete.
I'm telling ya- let Ian(e_bassfisher) get a hold of them and do his magic on em, you'll fall in love with them all over again. Kinda like restoring an old muscle car and giving it a performance upgrade.
Last edited by spookybaits on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:25 am

Doing some quick google work, it seems the old BB1N came in at 9.8 oz. Rod weight will add a fair amount to that. What's your rod budget look like? Would you like to stick with glass or are you open to blended or even all graphite rods? The graphite rods will be much lighter, but some who are used to glass don't like the action of graphite for cranks.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:37 am

Welcome to TT btw!
As for rods- look into dobyns champion cranking rods. They have glass & graphite (I've owned both & prefer graphite myself). Imo dobyns has the best crankbait rods on the market, with the exception of high dollar stuff.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:38 am

The old Lew's are great for cranking but on the heavy side. I'm not a weight weenie myself but I have switched my cranking reels to the Tatula 5.4:1. I do have one Lew's speed spool that I can't let go of. It's my understanding that e_bassfisher does some great work.

As for cranking rods I use both the Tatula and Phenix cranking rods. No offense to the Dobyn's die hards but I wouldn't spend my money on one. You could probably get a desecent price on a Crucial as well.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:55 am

spookybaits wrote:Welcome to TT btw!
As for rods- look into dobyns champion cranking rods. They have glass & graphite (I've owned both & prefer graphite myself). Imo dobyns has the best crankbait rods on the market, with the exception of high dollar stuff.
Agree. My 765CB Graphite is an insane crank rod. Super sensitive. Tip is soft enough for buttoning fish up, but stiff enough to keep pressure. Plenty of backbone.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:28 am

Take a look at a ALX Crank. Great blank for depths between 8-15FOW, besides being light weight the blank just as that IT factor as a cranking sitck.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:26 am

My experience has been that Dobyns makes the best crankbait rod in their price range.

I thought Powell made a pretty good rod with the 706CB, but haven't tried the others.

Was never impressed with any of the Shimanos (Clarus, Crucial, Cumara).

Didn't like the Phoenix; thought it was too soft and the early X-10 had some pretty poor quality control.

Didn't get a chance to fish a Loomis though...everyone loves a Loomis.

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:51 pm

The BB1N came in at 9.8 ounces and 4:7 gear ratio. I have 6 of them and they set the standard in the day and still have a legitimate place in cranking. I would suggest you look at any of the Dobyns crankers. I think they have the most comprehensive line up available. I just ordered the 705CB and 684CB yesterday. I already have the 705CB glass, 704CB glass, 764CBRM and 704CB.

Good shopping