No more Lifetime Warranty- Shimano Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

No more Lifetime Warranty- Shimano Rods

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:33 pm

I was at my local tackle shop yesterday and overheard a conversation with another customer. The customer had a broken Compre spin rod. This is what I heard and was told after enquiring:

- All shimano rods with lifetime warranties will be honored IF you have original proof of purchase
- ALL Shimano rods moving forward will have a 1-year warranty
- There will be NO over the counter exchanges anymore, all rods must be shipped to Shimano and replacements will be mailed

This could be incorrect, but I have good authority this dealer knows his stuff. He was mentioning it will be a big blow to the saltwater guys who love the Terez and other deck rods that get beat-up good. The lifetime warranty and over the counter replacement was his main selling point. He now feels Phenix will be his #1 brand, they have a $50 no questions asked replacement policy.

Before we get deffensive and claim that a lot of warranty claims are bogus, understand I know this. However, if this is the case, I will deffinately be more tempted to try other brands of rods. Heck, I already have been doing so. Personally, I have over 25+ shimano rods and have used the warranty two times. Sadly, both rods were a let down over previous models. The brown Clarus with cork handle was awesome and a Cumulus that even the Expride replacement doesn't do justice.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: No more Lifetime Warranty- Shimano Rods

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:29 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:I was at my local tackle shop yesterday and overheard a conversation with another customer. The customer had a broken Compre spin rod. This is what I heard and was told after enquiring:

- All shimano rods with lifetime warranties will be honored IF you have original proof of purchase
- There will be NO over the counter exchanges anymore, all rods must be shipped to Shimano and replacements will be mailed

This could be incorrect, but I have good authority this dealer knows his stuff. He was mentioning it will be a big blow to the saltwater guys who love the Terez and other deck rods that get beat-up good. The lifetime warranty and over the counter replacement was his main selling point. He now feels Phenix will be his #1 brand, they have a $50 no questions asked replacement policy.

Before we get deffensive and claim that a lot of warranty claims are bogus, understand I know this. However, if this is the case, I will deffinately be more tempted to try other brands of rods. Heck, I already have been doing so. Personally, I have over 25+ shimano rods and have used the warranty two times. Sadly, both rods were a let down over previous models. The brown Clarus with cork handle was awesome and a Cumulus that even the Expride replacement doesn't do justice.

Sad but true...

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:57 am

Yup...Instead of giving the customer a replacement on the spot. The Dealer had to ask the customer to pay for shipping the rod to Shimano, wait the two-three weeks, and have a rod sent to his house. I believe the store owner said it would be $15-20 to ship the rod. Customer was less than pleased.

I must say, the Shimano rods themselves have been hit or miss as of late. I will always say that Shimano rod are a great value with the added security the provided warranty. Being in CA and close to Shimano corporate it was always a no-brainier.

The new Crucial looks very promising. But I look at mid level JDM rods under $200 with amazing style, great tapers, Fuji K SIC guides, cork, and solid fit and finish. If I am assuming all the risk with no replacement options after 1 year (even a on-time fee $50-100 type deal would be cool), I might take the chance on some sweet JDM toys. As for the "regular Joe" fisherman, I am not sure what he will think.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:34 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:I was at my local tackle shop yesterday and overheard a conversation with another customer. The customer had a broken Compre spin rod. This is what I heard and was told after enquiring:

Dobyns has a wicked good warranty as well.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:55 am

what a shame but i can def understand...i'm sure people have abused this privilege throughout the yrs but y just 1 yr...y not do 5 or some kind of a fee like $50 or $75...i think anything like this will somewhat deter consumers from either being careless/carefree or deliberate in their attempt to capitalize on warranty

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:23 am

One could easily take this as a sign that new shimano/Loomis rods will be of lesser quality...

I mean... when every company with a competing product has a 3,5,10 year or lifetime warranty, and one company has a 1 year warranty... I stay away from the product with 1 year warranty.
Not because I think I'll break it, but to me- it says the company doesn't stand behind the product.

Just something worth considering imo.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:33 am

spookybaits wrote:One could easily take this as a sign that new shimano/Loomis rods will be of lesser quality...

I mean... when every company with a competing product has a 3,5,10 year or lifetime warranty, and one company has a 1 year warranty... I stay away from the product with 1 year warranty.
Not because I think I'll break it, but to me- it says the company doesn't stand behind the product.

I would actually disagree...not with your purchasing choices but with the warranty theory. It's is simply a financial/business decision to control costs, and come closer to fixing future expenses. The unfortunate truth is, regarding rod blanks, less expensive rods are often more difficult to break...which it usually the basis of a rod failure (blank), as opposed to components.

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 am

Definitely sad to hear about this. However, I figured it would come to an end sometime. Good thing I've been switching over to Loomis and St. Croix rods :D

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:22 am

I broke my Cumulus rod last month.. I called them yesterday and they are warrantying it with the new Shimano/Jackall adrena.. this was confirmed yesterday and they are sending me the model i like.. I had a PP receipt..

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:54 am

JerryC wrote:I broke my Cumulus rod last month.. I called them yesterday and they are warrantying it with the new Shimano/Jackall adrena.. this was confirmed yesterday and they are sending me the model i like.. I had a PP receipt..
Wow. That's good to hear as I have a Cumulus too. But no receipt.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:16 am

bassninja wrote:
JerryC wrote:I broke my Cumulus rod last month.. I called them yesterday and they are warrantying it with the new Shimano/Jackall adrena.. this was confirmed yesterday and they are sending me the model i like.. I had a PP receipt..
Wow. That's good to hear as I have a Cumulus too. But no receipt.
PM ME when you are available..

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:13 pm

From what I hear July 15th was the official cutoff date. The new rods will no longer have a date sticker, but the date code will be printed on the rod proper. This change will anger a lot of customers out there that bought Shimano primarily for the warranty. The tough thing about this change is that they are doing an inline warranty transition on active rods. The result will be that the same model rods will exist with older date codes having the lifetime and newer ones without. Hard to explain that to a weekend warrior...

Overall, I support the change (the concept of a lifetime limited is a bit silly imo - if it has a warranty defect it should present itself in he first year, anything beyond that is wear and tear and not covered anyway), I just wish it was being implemented on new models moving forward...Phase out the current stuff with lifetimes and have the replacement models becoming the one year. Then as the old brokens come in, give a upgrade to the new one year rods...In its institution this new policy is not bait and switch, but many anglers with broken rods will see it as this and likely switch brands on their next purchase.

Additionally, I have looked on Shimano's website for a press release and have found nothing. Way to get out in front of this team Shimano. =D>
Guess who gets to deal with significant quantities of these angry customers? The retailers... way to go Shimano. :-({|=

Finally, if you think about it; this came out hard and quick, which is troubling. The fact that this was not done more smoothly really has me questioning Shimano's well-being. They didn't WANT to implement this over a year or more with model changes...they decided to get this thing done NOW...

New Chronarch CI4 b/c is still teh awesome.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:53 pm

steve1206 wrote:
spookybaits wrote:One could easily take this as a sign that new shimano/Loomis rods will be of lesser quality...

I would actually disagree...not with your purchasing choices but with the warranty theory. It's is simply a financial/business decision to control costs, and come closer to fixing future expenses. The unfortunate truth is, regarding rod blanks, less expensive rods are often more difficult to break...which it usually the basis of a rod failure (blank), as opposed to components.

I could agree more. If people would actually look at it from a business standpoint, it all makes sense. Many people feel that since Shimano is a big company, they are able to swallow costs by customers abusing the warranty. People who are just consumers will never understand. I'm not saying I'm a business expert but it's quite clear that customers feel like they are "entitled" to perks because they are customers. The customer is not always right.

I do understand though that a bottle will shut a crying baby up at times.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:35 pm

At the same time, how many of you have actually broken a rod?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:At the same time, how many of you have actually broken a rod?
I broke one over my cousin's face about 15 years ago. Otherwise, the only issues I've had were manufacturing defects that showed up early. If a rod doesn't break within the first few hours of use, it was manufactured properly.