No more Lifetime Warranty- Shimano Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: No more Lifetime Warranty- Shimano Rods

Post by jeb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:45 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:I could agree more. If people would actually look at it from a business standpoint, it all makes sense. Many people feel that since Shimano is a big company, they are able to swallow costs by customers abusing the warranty. People who are just consumers will never understand. I'm not saying I'm a business expert but it's quite clear that customers feel like they are "entitled" to perks because they are customers.
I don't see it that way. It's not a "perk" when the company advertised it as something that came with the rod. It was very likely part of the reason a given customer bought that rod over a different one. IMO, it's just wrong to jerk that rug out from under them like that. Smacks of bait and switch. I agree with the others that feel the older rods should have been grandfathered in.

This is similar to what Shimano did with the Loomis line a while back, it seems. They eventually rescinded all of most of those changes. Hard to say why, but I'd guess sales had to have something to do with it. Maybe the same will happen with the Shimano branded rods too.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:24 pm

tywithay wrote:
i_am_R2 wrote:At the same time, how many of you have actually broken a rod?
I broke one over my cousin's face about 15 years ago. Otherwise, the only issues I've had were manufacturing defects that showed up early. If a rod doesn't break within the first few hours of use, it was manufactured properly.
Within the first few uses under duress of all day work and fighting fish within line/weight limits and without any high-sticking or any other general abuse of the rod...

Then it is most likely defect free.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:10 am

jeb wrote:
legendaryyaj wrote:I could agree more. If people would actually look at it from a business standpoint, it all makes sense. Many people feel that since Shimano is a big company, they are able to swallow costs by customers abusing the warranty. People who are just consumers will never understand. I'm not saying I'm a business expert but it's quite clear that customers feel like they are "entitled" to perks because they are customers.
I don't see it that way. It's not a "perk" when the company advertised it as something that came with the rod. It was very likely part of the reason a given customer bought that rod over a different one. IMO, it's just wrong to jerk that rug out from under them like that. Smacks of bait and switch. I agree with the others that feel the older rods should have been grandfathered in.

This is similar to what Shimano did with the Loomis line a while back, it seems. They eventually rescinded all of most of those changes. Hard to say why, but I'd guess sales had to have something to do with it. Maybe the same will happen with the Shimano branded rods too.
I would agree that older rods should've been grandfathered in but this discussion of going to one year doesn't seem to bother me. I use to be all about lifetime warranty too as I myself own Shimano rods but what's the point of having lifetime if the rod you break is a older model that doesn't exist anymore? Sure, they'll give you a newer model or different model but it's not the one I want. I have the older crucial and surely didn't want a black as a replacement. I have the black Cumara's and don't want a red. Nothing wrong with a new rod but this is why I could care less now. It's to the point where I want to go custom so I can get the same rod again if ever I needed to. I use to stay from customs because of warranty.

Loomis rods barely changed much over the years, ignorant statement from short observation, til recently so they were well justified to have lifetime but most rod companies don't keep rod models for that long. The black crucials came and went so fast. I'm not at all saying lifetime warranty isn't nice, but it just doesn't matter as much anymore to me because your replacement rod won't likely be the rod you loved for 15yrs.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:26 am

The new model rods will be covered by a one year warranty. We still have existing rods in the market with the lifetime warranty cards attached to the handle. These will be covered by the lifetime warranty. As new rods enter the market they will have the 1 year warranty cards attached.

The over the counter replacement program has gone away. There were several rods being replaced that were not warranty failures. In order to eliminate this we have taken warranty back in house. The rods will need to be sent in for warranty evaluation.

The official start date is August 1, 2014. The over the counter policy started on July 15, 2014. I apologize as I was at ICAST and had a lap top failure. I was not able to post anything during that time.

The quality of the rods will not suffer with the warranty changes. As most of us know a true bad rod will fail within the first few uses. If a rod fails 2,3,5 years later the chances are the blank was damaged at some point. There is also a misconception that the lifetime warranty covers the rod against everything. It covers the rod against material and manufacturer defects only.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:30 am

Bantam1 wrote:The new model rods will be covered by a one year warranty. We still have existing rods in the market with the lifetime warranty cards attached to the handle. These will be covered by the lifetime warranty. As new rods enter the market they will have the 1 year warranty cards attached.

The over the counter replacement program has gone away. There were several rods being replaced that were not warranty failures. In order to eliminate this we have taken warranty back in house. The rods will need to be sent in for warranty evaluation.

The official start date is August 1, 2014. The over the counter policy started on July 15, 2014. I apologize as I was at ICAST and had a lap top failure. I was not able to post anything during that time.

The quality of the rods will not suffer with the warranty changes. As most of us know a true bad rod will fail within the first few uses. If a rod fails 2,3,5 years later the chances are the blank was damaged at some point. There is also a misconception that the lifetime warranty covers the rod against everything. It covers the rod against material and manufacturer defects only.
Hey Bantam, i recieved my new Adrena casting rod yesterday from Shimano direct, a replacement from my broken Cumulus rod. It did not come with a 1 year warranty card attached to the guides, just 2 cards, 1 about the SiC guides and the other was a long black one i believe about the spiral wrapping on the rod or something like that. What should i do since it didnt come with teh 1 year warranty card?

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:43 am

lemme get this straight...the 1 yr warranty isn't crucial specific? it's across the board?

dusty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dusty » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06 am

legendaryyaj wrote:
steve1206 wrote:
spookybaits wrote:One could easily take this as a sign that new shimano/Loomis rods will be of lesser quality...

I mean... when every company with a competing product has a 3,5,10 year or lifetime warranty, and one company has a 1 year warranty... I stay away from the product with 1 year warranty.
Not because I think I'll break it, but to me- it says the company doesn't stand behind the product.

Just something worth considering imo.
I would actually disagree...not with your purchasing choices but with the warranty theory. It's is simply a financial/business decision to control costs, and come closer to fixing future expenses. The unfortunate truth is, regarding rod blanks, less expensive rods are often more difficult to break...which it usually the basis of a rod failure (blank), as opposed to components.

I could agree more. If people would actually look at it from a business standpoint, it all makes sense. Many people feel that since Shimano is a big company, they are able to swallow costs by customers abusing the warranty. People who are just consumers will never understand. I'm not saying I'm a business expert but it's quite clear that customers feel like they are "entitled" to perks because they are customers. The customer is not always right.

I do understand though that a bottle will shut a crying baby up at times.
A lot of arm chair entrepreneurs here

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:20 am

The object and goal of any business is to grow and make money. Shimano USDM/JDM are one in the same now. Nationwide warranty coverage for all sorts of claims are not profitable. All of you know that most, if not all, rods will break within the first few outings if there are defects. If you owned a company and were trying to increase profit, what would you do? I love America as much as the next guy but this idea that we Americans have to have long extended warranties for it to be good customer service is kind of stupid. Nothing last forever and it was good while it lasted but it the lifetime warranty had to end. For every one of you that were honest about claims I would bet through my experiences that there are at least 2 if not a lot more dishonest people wanting their stuff replaced for free or the price of shipping.

Sidenote: If Shimano offered extended warranties like on TV's and Computers would you buy one or would that be a ripoff?

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:26 pm

Bantam1 wrote:The new model rods will be covered by a one year warranty. We still have existing rods in the market with the lifetime warranty cards attached to the handle. These will be covered by the lifetime warranty. As new rods enter the market they will have the 1 year warranty cards attached.

Thanks for the details, Bantam1. Good to hear the older rods are indeed grandfathered in. =D>

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Finnz922 wrote:The object and goal of any business is to grow and make money. Shimano USDM/JDM are one in the same now. Nationwide warranty coverage for all sorts of claims are not profitable. All of you know that most, if not all, rods will break within the first few outings if there are defects. If you owned a company and were trying to increase profit, what would you do? I love America as much as the next guy but this idea that we Americans have to have long extended warranties for it to be good customer service is kind of stupid.
It is the rod companies that gave us this expectation, though. It's kind of like if GM decided to go back to a 12 month/12k miles bumper to bumper warranty, which was the standard program not that many years ago. Yeah, they can do that, but they will have trouble competing for sales compared to folks with longer programs.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:08 pm

dragon1 wrote:
tywithay wrote:
i_am_R2 wrote:At the same time, how many of you have actually broken a rod?
I broke one over my cousin's face about 15 years ago. Otherwise, the only issues I've had were manufacturing defects that showed up early. If a rod doesn't break within the first few hours of use, it was manufactured properly.
Within the first few uses under duress of all day work and fighting fish within line/weight limits and without any high-sticking or any other general abuse of the rod...

Then it is most likely defect free.
Yes, but what about the epoxy issues that some rods have. I didn't notice a lock down nut that had broken loose on two of my rods until the end of the season. I suppose that issue would show up in the first year but not always. My Destruction was 13 months old when this happened. MB did replace the rod so no harm done. Would Shimano do the same?

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:46 am

a good company meets the needs of their customers, not just their pocket books.

after being told over and over that Shimano is unable to deliver on left handed reel customer needs, now making their warranty on new rods the worst in the business, my decision regarding future shimano products is clear.

I own 39 shimano rods and 36 shimano reels, but it's time for a change.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:29 am

Chode wrote:lemme get this straight...the 1 yr warranty isn't crucial specific? it's across the board?
Yes

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:33 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:a good company meets the needs of their customers, not just their pocket books.

after being told over and over that Shimano is unable to deliver on left handed reel customer needs, now making their warranty on new rods the worst in the business, my decision regarding future shimano products is clear.

Pics please Steve :) All this negativity is not good, I thought I had a lot of Shimloomis rods/reels. I have like 24 total. Do you have low to high end? Ever have a warranty issue in all these years? I have not, but liked the thought of the great warranty. Thanks.

Rick

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:11 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:a good company meets the needs of their customers, not just their pocket books.

How many left handers are up in arms? Keep in mind that TT is a very small group compared to the large mass of anglers that don't participate online; most of whom don't spend over $100 on a reel, let alone have the wherewithal to pinpoint a specific need in a certain reel. I'm sure if enough people were asking, it'd be done. Obviously, it hasn't reached that number.