Taking the plunge: 1st time NRX buyer

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Taking the plunge: 1st time NRX buyer

Post by _diggy_ » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:51 am

Need some quick advice on the casting model to order. Is the 893 the most recommended model? I'll be using a rod for bottom contact and weights up to 1/2 oz. I recently bought a lamiglas infinity bass that I can use for heavier weights if needed. I thought I was set on the 895 then 854 and 873 were mentioned and now I'm more confused than before. I'm not looking to do anything other than fish jigs and plastics. I have a few rock and sand lakes I fish but most areas are grass and muck in so fla. Thanks.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Taking the plunge: 1st time NRX buyer

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:49 am

What about a 894 since your in Florida and the fish run bigger

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:53 am

fishingandfords wrote:What about a 894 since your in Florida and the fish run bigger
X2 plus the grass and muck.

nitromane
Angler
Angler

Post by nitromane » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:42 pm

873 just because I haven't handled the 894. Imo the 893 will be way to light for fishing in grass

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:58 pm

The 854 is a lot of fun and has a lot of power. The 893s are very popular here on the forums but I was in the minority...ended up not liking it much. Too stiff for me. In general the XF NRXs are hit or miss for me. (Didn't like the 803 either, but like the 852 quite a bit). If you are fishing much under .5 oz I wouldn't like the 893 much, unless you had a capable reel for it.

My favorite NRX caster is the 843 MBR style, which depending on how much junk you are in or not may suit your needs. But 854 sounds like a good fit.

If you have the chance to hold one and check out the action, do that for sure.

The guys at TheHookUpTackle are pretty hardcore NRX users and can walk you through a good fit, if you want to talk to them for a second or third opinion. Gary at tackle trap as well! And steve1206 on the forums here gives great advice on NRXs, I generally take his advice regarding them.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:01 pm

Thanks for the advice. The Hookuptackle is where I'd be purchasing from, was trying to keep in in the $350 range of the rep model scale. I couldnt tell you where sells one in so.fla to hold or test. Ive only seen up to the GLX locally. Ill call them tomorrow and get some input and watch my account go in reverse :big grin: After trying to settle on a model, the next step is picking a color :)

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:55 pm

I'd grab the CRR 873 if it were me. I live in Florida and had the opportunity to fish that model a bit. It feels absolutely perfect in my hands. I've hear the NRX 894 is great also, but cannot confirm.

I do fish a GLX 893 a lot down here and find it to be quite capable (and one of my favorites), but the NRX seems to feel too light when I played with one in the store. Of course, on the water it may work just fine. I'd vote CRR 873 though.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:07 am

I really like my NRX 893 for a do everything bottom contact rod. It seems right at home with 3/8 to 1/2 ounce but has the tip to also work well with more finesse stuff like 3/16 ounce jig or shakey head. It also works great as a hollow body frog rod for me. To me even though it has a tip to it there is a ton of power when you set the hook and have a fish on the line. I have no issues with it with braid around weeds but then again I am fishing in Ohio and its rare to get anything much over the 3 pound range where I fish so I can't speak to how it would handle true lunker bass in heavy cover!

Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mnbasser » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:15 am

Being an 893 owner I'd probably opt for the 894 in your situation. I like the xf tip and the 7' 5" length on them for that technique. If you like a little slower action the 873 would be a great pick also.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:20 am

_diggy_ wrote:Thanks for the advice. The Hookuptackle is where I'd be purchasing from, was trying to keep in in the $350 range of the rep model scale. I couldnt tell you where sells one in so.fla to hold or test. Ive only seen up to the GLX locally. Ill call them tomorrow and get some input and watch my account go in reverse :big grin: After trying to settle on a model, the next step is picking a color :)
Yeah, ask for Ben or Jeff if you haven't already. He will ask you about your fishing environment, lures, etc and walk you through different model choices. I got a 822 SYR based on his advice and that rod is insanely great for drop shotting. Probably have bought or traded in for 6 or so NRXs, they are cool folks.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:26 am

_diggy_ wrote:Need some quick advice on the casting model to order. Is the 893 the most recommended model? I'll be using a rod for bottom contact and weights up to 1/2 oz. I recently bought a lamiglas infinity bass that I can use for heavier weights if needed. I thought I was set on the 895 then 854 and 873 were mentioned and now I'm more confused than before. I'm not looking to do anything other than fish jigs and plastics. I have a few rock and sand lakes I fish but most areas are grass and muck in so fla. Thanks.
The 893 is an incredible rod and I used mine yesterday fishing a 10" power worm and half ounce weight on 20 lb. fluoro in some pretty thick milfoil - not extremely dense, but still THICK. I was surprised to pull out a 3.6lb. (my biggest of the day) without any real problems.

HOWEVER...

I would go for the 895 - the HERO stick. This stick can do absolutely everything: handles jigs (1/2 oz. jackall spade and 9/16oz. ultra tungsten) like a champ; senkos from 5" - 7"; 10" worms with 1/2oz. weight; punching with 1.5oz. - I think 1 oz. would be its sweet spot though; spinnerbaits from 3/8oz. to 1 oz. is what I've used; cranks and jerk baits like the deep six and 110's and magnums, and popmax; and hollow belly swimbaits and soft ones like the matt lures bass and gills.

The rod is light and unbelievably sensitive. Throwing a flapslap in the wind (because my calais dc was on it) was mind-blowing because I could feel every vibration of the bait.

This rod would handle your baits and cover and structure without a problem.

I like the 893 paired up with something a little heavier like the calais dc or calcutta dc (my favourite) and the 895 with something a little lighter like the core or metanium.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:33 am

Thanks for the additional info. Ive even had some retailers chime in. Even they have varying opinions which makes the decision harder. I feel like Lebron :lol:

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:57 am

I'd likely opt for the 873 CRR or 894 depending how thick the cover is and how bulky of plastics you are dealing with. The 893 is a great rod up around 1/2 oz., but based on your location, etc., may be light for what you are looking for. I like it (893) for lighter baits in shallower water, or slightly heavier baits in deep water...not a real fan of the 1/2 oz. bait, shallow water, and close quarters fishing with the 893. I saw the 895 recommendation, and, it will make you feel like a man, but I hated it for anything south of 3/4oz. and I unloaded mine....and I never managed to find a good home for the 854...just too many other good rods in the line, either slightly less, or more, powerful...If 1/2 oz. is close to your "limit" in weight, you're dealing with grass cover in what I'm guessing is fairly shallow water, my best recommendation would probably be the 873...

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:12 am

I was unimpressed with the 873CRR. The balance is horrible. It was fairly powerful for a MH, but for a $500 rod it shouldn't be so damn tip heavy and promises disapointment. Have a custom Phenix K2 built you will be blown away or wait for the ugly production ones. Megabass would be a far better option. Just one man's opinion on facts.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:54 am

steve1206 wrote:I'd likely opt for the 873 CRR or 894 depending how thick the cover is and how bulky of plastics you are dealing with. The 893 is a great rod up around 1/2 oz., but based on your location, etc., may be light for what you are looking for. I like it (893) for lighter baits in shallower water, or slightly heavier baits in deep water...not a real fan of the 1/2 oz. bait, shallow water, and close quarters fishing with the 893. I saw the 895 recommendation, and, it will make you feel like a man, but I hated it for anything south of 3/4oz. and I unloaded mine....and I never managed to find a good home for the 854...just too many other good rods in the line, either slightly less, or more, powerful...If 1/2 oz. is close to your "limit" in weight, you're dealing with grass cover in what I'm guessing is fairly shallow water, my best recommendation would probably be the 873...
Yeah, I may pick up the 894 then too. Probably a good in-betweener!

The 873 NRX was considered the most powerful before the additions of the 894, 895 and of course the 916 :lol:

That would be an interesting rod!