Cumara (red) Flip Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Cumara (red) Flip Rod

Post by rubs96 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:54 am

Does anybody have this rod and is willing to share some info and feedback?

I know it's 7'11" Heavy and Extra Fast, with lure rating up to 1 oz.

I have the GLX 953 JWR and was looking to add another stick to handle the same duties.

I plan to pair it with a Core 50Mg7 for now...

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Cumara (red) Flip Rod

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:07 am

I think it's going to be tip heavy with a 50 on it

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Shimano rods tend to be tip heavy. I had a Core51 on their 7'1" Cumulus and it felt slightly tip heavy. I've been wondering what those rods feel like myself but no one around me as them. I'm more interested in the one that is rated up to 3oz.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:08 am

Thanks guys.

I picked one up and it doesn't feel too tip heavy... I'll have to see for sure when I take it out this Sunday!

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:52 am

I almost replied to this thread a few days ago when you first posted it but I didn't because technically I don't have the rod you specifically asked about. I do however own the 7'9" umbrella rig rod. I was initially just going to tell you that these rods are incredibly light for their length and power. I've been very satisfied with my rod for a variety of baits not just A-Rigs. I've found it to be a fantastic Whopper Plopper rod, as well as a "California" style swim jig rod provided the jigs are at least 3/4 oz and you use a sizeable swimbait style trailer.

Mine balances just fine but I'm fishing a Curado 301E, there's just a slight difference between it and the reel you're planning to use plus you're also adding a couple of inches of rod. I'm a self admitted Shimano guy, I don't try to hide it, but I also don't try and "cover up" for them if I feel they make a mistake or an inferior product. I don't feel they spent much time or effort trying to get the last (all black foam grip) generation Crucial rods to balance at all, although some of them fish fine with older gen heavier reels such as a Chronarch B. I don't find this to be the case with the red Cumara rods, even though I only own the one it seems to me that all the rods I've played around with would balance out great with say a Chronarch CI4 or Core 100.

Who knows maybe I'm wrong, as I said I only own the one. I was planning to pick up more but life got in the way so I never did. I am however very much looking forward to getting a few of the new Crucial rods very soon.

I hope you're Cumara turns out just the way you'd hoped it would, I know they're very sensitive sticks on top of being light and powerful so even if it is a little tip heavy it may be something that can be overlooked because the rest of the package is so good.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:13 am

John Puckett wrote:I almost replied to this thread a few days ago when you first posted it but I didn't because technically I don't have the rod you specifically asked about. I do however own the 7'9" umbrella rig rod. I was initially just going to tell you that these rods are incredibly light for their length and power. I've been very satisfied with my rod for a variety of baits not just A-Rigs. I've found it to be a fantastic Whopper Plopper rod, as well as a "California" style swim jig rod provided the jigs are at least 3/4 oz and you use a sizeable swimbait style trailer.

Mine balances just fine but I'm fishing a Curado 301E, there's just a slight difference between it and the reel you're planning to use plus you're also adding a couple of inches of rod. I'm a self admitted Shimano guy, I don't try to hide it, but I also don't try and "cover up" for them if I feel they make a mistake or an inferior product. I don't feel they spent much time or effort trying to get the last (all black foam grip) generation Crucial rods to balance at all, although some of them fish fine with older gen heavier reels such as a Chronarch B. I don't find this to be the case with the red Cumara rods, even though I only own the one it seems to me that all the rods I've played around with would balance out great with say a Chronarch CI4 or Core 100.

Who knows maybe I'm wrong, as I said I only own the one. I was planning to pick up more but life got in the way so I never did. I am however very much looking forward to getting a few of the new Crucial rods very soon.

I hope you're Cumara turns out just the way you'd hoped it would, I know they're very sensitive sticks on top of being light and powerful so even if it is a little tip heavy it may be something that can be overlooked because the rest of the package is so good.

Definitely a slight difference between a 301 and a 50mg7

5ozs plus a few more inches of rod seems like a bad mix. I would think something like a D7 would be ideal

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:47 pm

fishingandfords wrote:
John Puckett wrote:I almost replied to this thread a few days ago when you first posted it but I didn't because technically I don't have the rod you specifically asked about. I do however own the 7'9" umbrella rig rod. I was initially just going to tell you that these rods are incredibly light for their length and power. I've been very satisfied with my rod for a variety of baits not just A-Rigs. I've found it to be a fantastic Whopper Plopper rod, as well as a "California" style swim jig rod provided the jigs are at least 3/4 oz and you use a sizeable swimbait style trailer.

Definitely a slight difference between a 301 and a 50mg7

5ozs plus a few more inches of rod seems like a bad mix. I would think something like a D7 would be ideal
:lol: Yeah some guys might notice if you switched their core 50's for Curado 300's!

I know you've always been a big fan of the Chronarch D series, along with a lot of other fishermen. I seriously regret missing out completely on those. At the time I just assumed they'd be around a lot longer than they were. I also didn't just want to get 1 or 2 I wanted to get 6 or 7 and the shop I usually buy from gives me a nice discount the more I buy at once so I was holding off and saving up.

The Chronarch 101A was my very first Shimano, low profile reel, and actual honest to goodness "quality" baitcaster. Still have it and it's still going strong. One of my favorite reels of all time, if not my favorite, is my Chronarch 101B. I fish this reel by far more than any other single reel I own. The Chronarch will always be my favorite series of reels, even if I don't own the current model. I know the trend right now is toward lighter is better but I hope that it actually goes back the other direction with this reel.

Not that Shimano can't move forward with all the modern space age crap on all the other models, I'm all for it, I just wish they would keep this one model all aluminum. I mean I'm in for all the new S3D spools, and the new braking systems, you know kinda like the keep doing with the Conquest. They improve it but don't wreck it. That can't be said about the Chronarch, in my humble opinion of course.

Sorry to the op for thread jacking.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:32 am

You need a exsence DC then Love it and it's as close to a d7 as you will bet with better options

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks man, I'll think about it. I'm kinda over the DC thing these days. I mean don't get me wrong they're fantastic reels and the sound is great but I haven't fished either one of mine in at least 2 years now. Although another thread about the Calais did have me thinking about digging it out so if I do who knows it might "light my fire" again for them and I won't be able to stop myself from getting an Exsence.

My plans as of today though are to get a few new Crucial rods and a 14 Conquest.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Using my Calais for my square bill reel and wouldn't consider ANY other reel shimano or otherwise for that duty. It's just perfect for that application. It's like a Honda accord if you keep it properly maintenanced you' just can't kill it

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:02 pm

I forgot to add that I did stick it with the Core 50Mg7 and it was unbelievably unbalanced. I couldn't even use it because it felt so strange. I've tried pairing it with the Core 100, Chronarch 200E7, Curado I, Curado 200DHSV (which was much better but still felt weird because of its size and the size of the handle) and Calais DC...

Maybe a round reel will work better?