Megabass customer service is pathetic.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass customer service is pathetic.

Post by mikeysam » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:02 am

I sent a rod into Megabass to replace a guide that had fallen off a 3 month old rod. After 4 weeks I called to enquire of the status and was told that the rod had been sent to an outside contractor for repair. I was then informed that they had no way to determine how much longer it would take. Two more weeks have passed with no word from Megabass. Just goes to show you that you don't always get what you pay for.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass customer service is pathetic.

Post by lpquick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:06 am

Is this a rod you bought here with a warranty or one you purchased overseas?

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:10 am

lpquick wrote:Is this a rod you bought here with a warranty or one you purchased overseas?
The rod was purchased here.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:00 am

mikeysam wrote:
lpquick wrote:Is this a rod you bought here with a warranty or one you purchased overseas?
The rod was purchased here.
Here (TT) is not an authorized dealer. Unless you meant the United States?

That is too bad if you purchased the rod from an authorized dealer and that is the service you received. I had a X4 Destruction that broke into 3 pieces on a hookset and had the best warranty service experience. I would make another call and try to get it resolved or get the dealer where you purchased the rod involved and see if they can offer any mediator assistance. Good luck.

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jlb » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:20 am

I completely agree. A while back I had a brand new x7 super eiger that I purchased from an authorized retailer in the U S that came in with a crooked blank and about 5 times too much epoxy on one of the guides and the stripper guide which i know is supposed to be backwards on this particular model was crooked. After emailing pics and calling in a couple times all i was told was to send the rod in (on my dime) and they would ship another after they confirmed defects. I had to practically beg them to take my credit card snd charge me for another eiger if they needed to so i wouldnt be out of a brand new rod for 3-4 weeks. The second issue was with a brand new xx spinnerbait special that had somthing rattling and rolling back and forth inside the blank. They said they would have to see it and they have never heard of such an issue (even though other tt members have mentioned getting xx rods replaced for the same issue) so when i asked for a shipping label so i wouldnt be out $30-$35 on a defective product i was completely refused so i had to handle the issue with the retailer. I totally understand paying return shipping for a broken rod to be inspected but not for a manufacture defect.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Initial warranty claim procedures and service was lacking professionalism.
I paid the fee to send in a "rattling rod".
The rod i got back was worst then the original.
By that time I had a second rod to send in for the same issues.

Exchanging emails back and forth was useless until I decided to cc the vice president.
Within a few days I had both rods replaced and shipped back to me.
The rods have been flawless since.

I was promised the rods would be sent to me free of charge.
Upon receiving delivery, UPS charged me 77$ for customs.

Emailed MB, they reimbursed 50$ as they were unable to process the full amount.
I agreed that the remaining amount could be applied to a lure of my choice. A vision 110 was suggested, but decided I wanted a Pop Max in Pumpkinseed.

For me, it's a love\hate kinda thing, love the rods, hate the customer service.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Sounds to me MB USA is like the redheaded stepchild. They understand how much damages of these cases can cause, yet they are either powerless or unwilling? to help. What's their real relationship with MB japan and how much power they have, I wondered. :-k

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:43 pm

hobobob wrote:Sounds to me MB USA is like the redheaded stepchild. They understand how much damages of these cases can cause, yet they are either powerless or unwilling? to help. What's their real relationship with MB japan and how much power they have, I wondered. :-k
They apparently have enough power to be rude and unresponsive. My rod was purchased from an online Retailer in the USA who told me I would have to deal with Megabass.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:05 pm

I've had quite a bit of experience with Megabass of America and their customer service through The Tackle Trap and our customers. While I'd agree that they don't have the easiest to use, fastest, or most modern customer service system in the fishing rod industry, they have always been fair and have taken care of problems as they've arisen. MOA handles all their warranty claims in house, that's their policy, and it takes a little longer than most guys would like sometimes. I always do everything I can for Tackle Trap customers when issues arise, and it's always worked out eventually.

Remember, only a few short years ago, there was NO warranty on Megabass rods period, MBUSA was phased out and MOA created, they moved from MA to CA, and they're still building this new company. I expect that things will continue to improve with regard to their customer service as time goes on, I've seen it myself since the inception of MOA up until now. They certainly do still have room to grow and room for improvement, but I can see that they've been moving in that direction and I deal with MOA multiple times per week.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:07 pm

Have had zero experience with MB USA customer service, most reports I hear, have been positive.

The Tackle Trap (Bronzefly) and a TT advertiser, has a very good relationship with MB USA. Since the rods sold in the US are "Fair Trade", buying your MB rods through the Tackle Trap may help with or eliminate the issues you've had.

Obviously, if you purchased the rod somewhere else, you''ll have to rely on that dealer's relationship and attentiveness to your problem or paddle you own way with MB USA. I do know Gary will go to great lengths to keep his customers happy (which is why I buy from him).

If I popped a guide (and I have on rods under warranty) , I'd have I'd fixed locally though. Far easier and less chance of a screw up in shipping by doing so. Additionally, I can get my rod back in a couple of days rather than weeks. The expense is usually no more than shipping cost to MB.

Not second guessing any decisions made here or Monday morning quarterbacking. Just providing my perspective and approach.

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jlb » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:20 pm

I feel that if its a quality control issue or defect with the rod it should be handled with the company who makes the rod. I see no reason to involve the retailer who you purchased the rod from unless you just want a refund. I also see no reason that megabass should expect the dealer to deal with this as its just an extra step in the process. I understand and agree that no manufacturer is perfect that is why im not really complaining about the issues with the rods, but regardless of where they moved from or if they are mbusa or moa their customer service is severely lacking and needs to be addressed sooner than later.

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:51 pm

I don't think you should have to bring the dealer into the problem. if Megabass customer service treats some dealers customers better than others then, in my opinion, that is just another indication of pathetic service.

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:55 pm

USA-RET wrote:Have had zero experience with MB USA customer service, most reports I hear, have been positive.

The Tackle Trap (Bronzefly) and a TT advertiser, has a very good relationship with MB USA. Since the rods sold in the US are "Fair Trade", buying your MB rods through the Tackle Trap may help with or eliminate the issues you've had.

Obviously, if you purchased the rod somewhere else, you''ll have to rely on that dealer's relationship and attentiveness to your problem or paddle you own way with MB USA. I do know Gary will go to great lengths to keep his customers happy (which is why I buy from him).

If I popped a guide (and I have on rods under warranty) , I'd have I'd fixed locally though. Far easier and less chance of a screw up in shipping by doing so. Additionally, I can get my rod back in a couple of days rather than weeks. The expense is usually no more than shipping cost to MB.

Not second guessing any decisions made here or Monday morning quarterbacking. Just providing my perspective and approach.
You must have me confused with someone who cares where you get your guides fixed.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:03 am

mikeysam wrote:
USA-RET wrote:Have had zero experience with MB USA customer service, most reports I hear, have been positive.

You must have me confused with someone who cares where you get your guides fixed.
This is not the right attitude or approach....as i do understand it's a frustrating situation, you should be thankfull to get replies.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:11 am

mikeysam wrote:

:shock: :shock: