Phenix mbx.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Basscatcher99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Phenix mbx.

Post by Basscatcher99 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:13 am

^^Is this a good rod for the money? How does it compare to a dobyns champion or megabass orochi xx?

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Phenix mbx.

Post by Chode » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:34 am

Basscatcher99 wrote:^^Is this a good rod for the money? How does it compare to a dobyns champion or megabass orochi xx?
I had the umbx and I felt that it was more sensitive than the dobyns dx but was tip heavy imo. Fished a tad light compared to its rating. Im in the camp where I feel the dobyns rods r overrated. I might get shot on this forum for saying that but I wasnt impressed with the dx at all.

Havent fished with any xx so cant comment.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:31 pm

Which one? The 707 MH UMBX Classic is one of my favorite factory sticks for multi-bait applications. It is an IMX 843.5 that is 7" longer in my book.

And yes, a reel closer to the mid-high 7oz mark will balance it out better.

Basscatcher99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basscatcher99 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Actually the 707 was what I had in mind!I would pair it with a shimano chronarch 200e which weighs 7.6 ounces, so it should balance right.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:24 pm

dragon1 wrote:Which one? The 707 MH UMBX Classic is one of my favorite factory sticks for multi-bait applications. It is an IMX 843.5 that is 7" longer in my book.

And yes, a reel closer to the mid-high 7oz mark will balance it out better.
never fished the classic...it's something i've always regretted...i loved everythig about the rod except the acs reel seat and the little tip heaviness.

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:13 am

I have owned and fished all the Phenix MBXs in the m, mh, h and xh.....and i agree thay fish lighter than they are rated ......and i also agree, that comparing them to the loomis imx is about right on as far as sensitivity.....The longer 707mh and 707H are a little tip heavy.....
Last edited by Black Haze on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:35 am

Mine does not have the ACS seat...

For your edification: http://forums.tackletour.com/search.php ... mit=Search

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:50 pm

I figured I would respond to this post since the 707MH and H are my favorite rods. If you haven't picked up and MBX lately there has been a few minor changes. One thing we did to help with the balance issue is we went from 4 double footed and bigger guides that finished out at 7s to two double footed guides and finish out with smaller size 5s. This has helped with the Ballance issue. I have Cores on mine and they all Ballance right at the hood now. It won't be anytime in the next few months but soon we will be changing the MBX line and updating it. The last several years both Carbon Fiber and Resins have been upgrading darn near every 3 months. So it's time to upgrade the MBX from the 40T Toray to a new Toray Carbon Fiber that will make the blank stronger and more sensitive yet with a thinner wall. Allowing for a big weight decrease. I think you would be very happy with the 707MH!!

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Vince Borges wrote:I figured I would respond to this post since the 707MH and H are my favorite rods. If you haven't picked up and MBX lately there has been a few minor changes. One thing we did to help with the balance issue is we went from 4 double footed and bigger guides that finished out at 7s to two double footed guides and finish out with smaller size 5s. This has helped with the Ballance issue. I have Cores on mine and they all Ballance right at the hood now. It won't be anytime in the next few months but soon we will be changing the MBX line and updating it. The last several years both Carbon Fiber and Resins have been upgrading darn near every 3 months. So it's time to upgrade the MBX from the 40T Toray to a new Toray Carbon Fiber that will make the blank stronger and more sensitive yet with a thinner wall. Allowing for a big weight decrease. I think you would be very happy with the 707MH!!
sounds obvious u work for phenix so lemme ask, when will these new mbx's be out and will u still be using those annoying acs reel seats? also, when r the production k2s coming out? thx

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Vince Borges wrote:I figured I would respond to this post since the 707MH and H are my favorite rods. If you haven't picked up and MBX lately there has been a few minor changes. One thing we did to help with the balance issue is we went from 4 double footed and bigger guides that finished out at 7s to two double footed guides and finish out with smaller size 5s. This has helped with the Ballance issue. I have Cores on mine and they all Ballance right at the hood now. It won't be anytime in the next few months but soon we will be changing the MBX line and updating it. The last several years both Carbon Fiber and Resins have been upgrading darn near every 3 months. So it's time to upgrade the MBX from the 40T Toray to a new Toray Carbon Fiber that will make the blank stronger and more sensitive yet with a thinner wall. Allowing for a big weight decrease. I think you would be very happy with the 707MH!!
Haha! So Phenix finally listened to my complaint about too many double footed larger guides to start out with, along with using finishing guides in too large a size, eh? Only took about four years! I think you recall our conversation here on TT about this way back then (before Epic Crash II). ;)

Here is my reiteration from last year: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... ic#p366772

I'm excited to see what the newest UMBX and UMBX Classic blanks/rods are like. 8-)

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Always listening!! The new MBX make over probably won't be till mid 2015 or so. The new Maxims will be out in about 2 weeks, and the K2 I'm not yet 100% sure. But should be any day now as well.