Is NRX "dud" possible

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
sydaar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Is NRX "dud" possible

Post by sydaar » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:46 am

I have owned several NRX rods (802C & S, 803S, 852S, 893C) and have found them all to be what they're billed as; very light and sensitive. I picked up a 822SYR earlier this year and just find it to be dead compared to all the others. I use braid with a fluro leader for 1/8 - 1/4 oz shakeys and compared to my other NRX and a couple of Edge rods (HM blanks), it just feels like nothing. Is it possible that there is such a thing as a "dud" or am I so used to JWR rods that the SYR feels soft. Considering selling and trying something else. Any help would be appreciated.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is NRX "dud" possible

Post by njbasscat » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:56 am

I have found that within the same line of rods, some are more sensitive than others. The old Kistler Magnesium line of rods was like this in my opinion. Some were surprisingly sensitive while others felt dead. I have witnessed this with other brands as well. I'm sure a rod builder could explain why.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:38 am

Potential knockoff/fake?
Never heard of this happening but always thought it quite possible.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:41 am

It's funny you posted this. I have found the 822S SYR to be by far the least sensitive of all the NRX I own (which is about 10 and counting). I have mentioned this on other posts through the years, but no one ever really said the same thing. I have fished my friends 822S SYR and it also had the same feel. I wouldn't describe it as a "dud," but it definitly isn't on par with the other NRX rods. I would say it has the same sensitivity as the GLX, which are great rods in their own right, but when you buy a NRX, you expect more, which the 822S SYR doesn't have.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:34 am

The softer tip takes away from the feel. I never found the need for a dedicated shakey head rod. I use the 852S JWR and never looked back.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:21 am

It is a softer rod for sure...I actually love it, but am fishing excusively 1/8oz. heads plus a finesse worm..I think that its the rod's characteristics and the lighter/somewhat slower power and action that you dislike....just a personal preference thing vs. "dud"

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Lucky Craft Man wrote:It's funny you posted this. I have found the 822S SYR to be by far the least sensitive of all the NRX I own (which is about 10 and counting).
Pretty much the same story here. I bought the SYR and DSR NRX spinners at the same time. Love the DSR and use it all the time. But the SYR has just never found a niche in my boat, so lives most of it's life out in the rod locker. It's not that I don't use shakey heads, I just have other rods I prefer for doing that over the SYR.

sydaar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sydaar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:59 am

Thanks much for your input. I am guessing I am not a fan of the slower action and will look to replace it with a faster K2, MB or Edge blank over the winter. If anyone has any experience with any of these rods I would be real interested to hear about it

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:54 am

sydaar wrote:Thanks much for your input. I am guessing I am not a fan of the slower action and will look to replace it with a faster K2, MB or Edge blank over the winter. If anyone has any experience with any of these rods I would be real interested to hear about it
The new model 842s is pretty magical. Thought the 852s was just to fast/stout for my liking so I tried the 842. Slightly slower but with less backbone light enough for 6lb fluoro. Like it so much will be picking up a 2nd over the winter.

FishyFingers
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishyFingers » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:54 pm

822syr is my go to rod for deep water dropshotting and skipping senkos