Opinions DX792SF

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ncbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Opinions DX792SF

Post by ncbass » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:59 am

Thinking about this rod. I have a DX702SF and a DX742SF both of which are outstanding rods. What does the DX792 offer that I can't do with either of the two I have now ? Can it handle 1/2 to 3/4 tubes snapped in deep water ?

dtacker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Opinions DX792SF

Post by dtacker » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:30 am

This may help you and it may not. I want to start by saying I HAVE NOT FISHED THE ROD. I plan to buy it personally. In a couple months if you're still interested at all, I could let you know a lot more about it. As of now I will tell you from picking it up in store and doing the usual in-store rod antics, I wouldn't think the rod would be well suited for 1/2-3/4 oz tubes. I don't think I work them the same out here but when I think of something in that weight range my mind goes straight to the dx743s. The rod seems a little more "finesse" to me vs. the dx742s and dx743s seem to be more "power" spinning rods if that makes any sense. Just personal opinion here but saw that you hadn't gotten a reply yet. I plan to get the rod for rather light baits. 1/8-1/4 oz baits like tubes, dartheads, possibly casting a dropshot with a 1/4 oz weight. Hope this possibly helped and sorry if I made any incorrect assumptions.

ncbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ncbass » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:56 am

dtacker thanks for the reply. Right now I am yet undecided on the 792. I had opportunity to buy one basically new for $200, which is a killer price and from an individual who takes care of his stuff. Just wanted to know if anyone had fished it and how it compared to the 742. Still looking for responses.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:56 am

I haven't use the rod myself. That being said, I'm not sure how useful the info I'll provide will be. I'll throw it out there anyway.

When it was new (I think two years ago??) I did see it at the ISE Sacramento show in the Dobyns booth. I remember Gary was really enthused about the rod. He said it was the principle stick he used for the Shasta tournament that year. He was catching them on senkos that he needed to cast way out there - really clear water at Shasta. I didn't enquire what size senko he was using.

I own and use both the DX742SF & the DX743SF. Here is my take on store (or should that be show...) fishing, albeit a couple years ago, the DX792SF. The 792 seems to have a faster action than the 742. From doing the 'flick' test, you will see that the 742 seems to flex deeper into the blank. That isn't to say that both rods don't have soft tips (relatively speaking). Rather, I think that both rods do have soft/supple tips. What I think the 792 offers is more power is the mid & butt sections of the rod.

Ultimately, I didn't buy the rod because of where I primarily fish (Delta) and because in late Fall, Winter & early Spring, I'm flyfishing for Stripers instead of running up to the foothill lakes where the smallies & spots are.

ncbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ncbass » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:07 am

Well my predicament is that It is either this rod or an old style BSR852S with recoils. Decisions !!!! Decisions !!!!! :doh: :-k

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:18 am

I really don't like Recoils. No really. I keep thinking about changing the stripping guides on my NRX flyrods but I don't want to mess up the (service) warranty in case I need it in the future.....