Crankbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Scattergun2570
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Crankbait rod

Post by Scattergun2570 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:11 pm

I need some suggestions on a rod for the deeper cranks,, Norman DD22`s,,LC20`s..that type of stuff.. my buddy uses an 8 ft Dobyns,,which is a great stick,but Id rather not spend that much.

Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Crankbait rod

Post by Mnbasser » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Phenix X-13

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:38 pm

What are you looking to spend? There are a lot of rods out there that will work, you just need to give us a price range.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:40 am

Guessing your friend is throwing the Dobyns Champion 805 CB RM..I am a HUGE Loomis fan, but its what I throw with the those baits and its a very good rod for that application. It can likely be had for around $200 if you look enough. A relative bargain compared to many, but if its more than what you want to spend, I'll give you some advice...If you find a comparable rod for less, then that is great. Deep cranking is one category that I would not skimp...not talking money, but intended use/ specs, that is. If you find a rod and say "that may get the job done," I would walk the other way. Deep cranking is a technique that I've seen too may people "try to get away with" a rod that simply isn't designed for it....and it makes for misery and a total lack of effectiveness. You absolutely, in my opinion, have to have a rod designed to throw a wind resistant 1 ounce bait and have a taper that doesn't wear you out, isn't too fast, and flexes under the load of a fish. These are special rods, IMO, and again, the wrong tool leads to hating the technique.

Scattergun2570
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scattergun2570 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:32 am

steve1206 wrote:Guessing your friend is throwing the Dobyns Champion 805 CB RM..I am a HUGE Loomis fan, but its what I throw with the those baits and its a very good rod for that application. It can likely be had for around $200 if you look enough. A relative bargain compared to many, but if its more than what you want to spend, I'll give you some advice...If you find a comparable rod for less, then that is great. Deep cranking is one category that I would not skimp...not talking money, but intended use/ specs, that is. If you find a rod and say "that may get the job done," I would walk the other way. Deep cranking is a technique that I've seen too may people "try to get away with" a rod that simply isn't designed for it....and it makes for misery and a total lack of effectiveness. You absolutely, in my opinion, have to have a rod designed to throw a wind resistant 1 ounce bait and have a taper that doesn't wear you out, isn't too fast, and flexes under the load of a fish. These are special rods, IMO, and again, the wrong tool leads to hating the technique.
Yes,,I do agree with you...but tell me,,where should I look to get that Dobyns for $200?

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:27 am

13 fishing crankenstein 179.99. I had 2 805 rm and sold them. To me this rod is better Is more comfortable to grip and cast.I believe is lighter. I like shorter rods if I can get away with it. That's just my opinion. If you can wait till blackfriday I'll be cheaper.

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:32 am

Oh you can buy a 805rm for 180.00 on basstackledepot around holidays sales keep an eye on their site.

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:05 am

I just use an old f pole. Plenty of backbone for good hook sets.
Last edited by Cagey on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:39 am

I second the X-13. I love that rod for deep diving crankbaits. As a matter of fact I have two of them.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:59 am

Choosing the perfect (deep diving) crankbait rod was the most difficult process for me. It seems that everything I tried just didn't have the "it" factor for me. I didn't want to spend more money searching for another rod so I started polling members on various forums for recommendations. The one rod that kept coming up most often was the Dobyns 805CB RM so I eventually pulled the trigger and purchased one. I've had it mounted on a Crazy Cranker for two seasons and it is by far (IMO) the best rod I have ever used. Looking back I wish I purchased it from the get-go as I would have saved a lot time, money, and aggravation. Good luck in your search.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 am

Dobyns 805RM or if you want a little shorter, the 765CB. I have the 765CB and absolutely love it.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:40 am

The Phenix X13 is great for deep Cranks! However, they now have an X14 which is just shy of 8' with the same great action as the X13. I like the longer X14 for longer casts with deep cranks myself! Oh and the X14 MSRP is $209.00

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Scattergun2570 wrote:
steve1206 wrote:Guessing your friend is throwing the Dobyns Champion 805 CB RM..I am a HUGE Loomis fan, but its what I throw with the those baits and its a very good rod for that application. It can likely be had for around $200 if you look enough. A relative bargain compared to many, but if its more than what you want to spend, I'll give you some advice...If you find a comparable rod for less, then that is great. Deep cranking is one category that I would not skimp...not talking money, but intended use/ specs, that is. If you find a rod and say "that may get the job done," I would walk the other way. Deep cranking is a technique that I've seen too may people "try to get away with" a rod that simply isn't designed for it....and it makes for misery and a total lack of effectiveness. You absolutely, in my opinion, have to have a rod designed to throw a wind resistant 1 ounce bait and have a taper that doesn't wear you out, isn't too fast, and flexes under the load of a fish. These are special rods, IMO, and again, the wrong tool leads to hating the technique.
Yes,,I do agree with you...but tell me,,where should I look to get that Dobyns for $200?
You have two options. Contact Gary at the Tackletrap and see what he can do for you as it is widely known he offers discounts to TT users or, wait for the 20% off Black Friday adds to pop up for Tacklewarehouse or BTD to pop up! You are looking for a cranking stick at the perfect time of year. With 20% off, you are looking at $208 at TW. You may be able to find a better deal somewhere else though. Just start looking on Friday.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Teal101 wrote:Dobyns 805RM or if you want a little shorter, the 765CB. I have the 765CB and absolutely love it.
X2 simply love my 765CB RM.