Loomis 852S

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ncbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Loomis 852S

Post by ncbass » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:41 am

Okay need your input. I am in the market for an 852s. Plan to use it with a Sustain 3000fg 20lb braid and flouro leader. Drop shot, weightless plastics and shakey head; and maybe even small hair jigs. I have been partial to the older Loomis GLX with recoils so have been looking for one in the BSR 852S; but I am becoming somewhat impatient. For those of you who have fished the new GLX or the NRX in this model tell me why you would or would not choose that model again for my listed applications. Or would you be patient and wait on a BSR 852S to show up on the boards ? :?:

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Loomis 852S

Post by romans » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:10 am

I have the BSR and the nrx 852s. For dropshot I would definitely take the NRX over the BSR. The NRX just loads better with lighter weights. To me the softer tip on the NRX versions just makes them more versatile in general. I have a sustain 2500 on the NRX and a SOL 2500 on the BSR. Never fished the new GLX version. Hope that helps.

meach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by meach » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:22 am

I purchased an nrx852s middle of last year..it is a very versitale rod..I use it for everything u have mentioned except for drop shot..it shines using a 1/4 jig ..I don't think there's any other stick I pick up when I need to fish 1/4 weights be it shakey, or jig fishing..I fish 10' ribbon tails on it with just a nail weight and 4' stick worms the rod loads well casts accurately.. There is a slight learning curve if you haven't fished Loomis offerings but once you adjust your cast a flick of the wrist is all it takes to put your bait where you want.. I felt my dobyns DX were gonna be hard to beat and the nrx surpassed all expection s I had..a lot of reviews are loaded with hype but everything positive about the nrx852s is spot on..its a true xf rod and the power is somewhere in between a 2-3 power ..with a perfect mix of the 2 senseitivy and the 3's power/backbone..Probably my best purchase and a stick that accompanies me every outing

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:57 am

ncbass wrote:Okay need your input. I am in the market for an 852s. Plan to use it with a Sustain 3000fg 20lb braid and flouro leader. Drop shot, weightless plastics and shakey head; and maybe even small hair jigs. I have been partial to the older Loomis GLX with recoils so have been looking for one in the BSR 852S; but I am becoming somewhat impatient. For those of you who have fished the new GLX or the NRX in this model tell me why you would or would not choose that model again for my listed applications. Or would you be patient and wait on a BSR 852S to show up on the boards ? :?:
I have the BSR 852 GLX with Fuego 2000, 20lb braid and leader. I fish exactly the techniques you note. Recently I have moved the Drop Shot to a ML action rod. Probably a better presentation on the new rod and I never wanted to dedicate the BSR to the DS which I rarely use anyway. I have never given a second though to the NRX 852 even though from my NRX experience it is likely the better finesse rod. I've kept the BSR version because I perceive the butt section on the BSR to be much stouter. In fact, the BSR was called a Senko Rod and the NRX version has no such designation. I have fished the BSR on Guntersville and Okeechobee without major issue. Sometimes the bite is just better on a spinning rig because of the initial fall or something.

Again, I'm pretty sure the NRX makes a better finesse rod and most of us go to spinning for true finesse. The BSR I feel can be used as just a plastics rod period. So I guess it somewhat depends on cover you fish. I use 10 and 12# FC leaders for senko's and Shaky heads so that may tell you about my style.

dux
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dux » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:44 pm

I own both GLX BSR852 and the NRX852. I was content with the GLX until I bought the NRX. The NRX is 3.54oz compared to 4.33oz. GLX, according to my scales. A noticable difference in weight and sensitivity and when combined with my Stradic Ci4+ an awful lot of fun to fish with. My only grip with the NRX was how brittle they appear to be. Mine snapped near the tip and if it wasn't for Cabela's EXCELLENT customer service at the time. I would have had to use my "Wild Card". (long story) It's going to be tough for me to buy anything other that NRX from Cabela's in the forseeable future.