Jerkbait Rod question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Jerkbait Rod question

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:32 pm

I have a 6'9" cork crucial and a 7'0" fiberglass rod.

Now for fishing with jerk baits its almost a rule of thumb that you keep slack in the line and most of the guys that say that are using graphite rods. What I have found for me is that with both of the rods aforementioned I have used my Conq50 with four post breaks instead of the stock breaks. When I retrieve the lure with the fiberglass rod I don't have slack in the line or at least not as much.
The rod imparts the action and because of the give of the rod it may seem like i am moving the bait a heap of a ways but I am not. Its harder to twitch the bait than with the graphite rod and by twitch I am moving the bait just enough to bow or start to bow and thats it. I have not missed any fish that has hit any lure on the fiberglass rod. NOT one no matter how big or small a lure I am using but with the graphite its a little different. I've tired both and even though the fiberglass rod is bigger and some may say heavier ( which it is) having the Conq50 on it makes it extremely palpable and very comfortable. I tried a px-Type R and a cur ado 100 D reel and with the 100D my had would cramp up. The px was ok but the metal of the 50 and the rod seem to gel whereas the px gave me a disconnected dead feeling.

I've just started to learn and hone my skills with jerk baits, The hooks are super sharp, and when they swat a jb they are stuck and the glass rod just moves with the fish to get them to the boat. Even on long cast where the fish hits way out that load on the rod is unreal and I love that. I've used the DUO lures 120 and now 110, Erratic shad, FJ10 by rapala , Squad minnows, Pionter 100's and the Flash pointer, sashimi's , and some xcalibur XT3D ( I've been buying them up - they are a great lure) so I am using pretty good lures in my opinion.

I can take the reel off the glass rod and place it on the graphite rod and its like the rod ( med xfast ) over powers the lure and I can see why you want so much slack in the line. IMO having a glass rod is better cause my landing percentage has went up, having slack in the line is not a big issue and when the fish loads up all i have to do is reel as I am pulling and the hook set themselves. Its like
the fish bungee jumping when you have a glass rod in your hand. These are just my observations,, it may work for you and may not but if your having problems a glass rod may help.

My question is for those that have used seeker rods, how do you like them and for those that use the Megabass jerk bait rods can you explain the action of the rod and how it responds when you catch a fish?

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Jerkbait Rod question

Post by civicrr » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:44 pm

goldrod wrote:I have a 6'9" cork crucial and a 7'0" fiberglass rod. ..........

I can take the reel off the glass rod and place it on the graphite rod and its like the rod ( med xfast ) over powers the lure and I can see why you want so much slack in the line. IMO having a glass rod is better cause my landing percentage has went up, having slack in the line is not a big issue and when the fish loads up all i have to do is reel as I am pulling and the hook set themselves. Its like
the fish bungee jumping when you have a glass rod in your hand. These are just my observations,, it may work for you and may not but if your having problems a glass rod may help.
Improving landing ratio & working the lure properly are perfect reasons for you to use the 'glass rod.

Although I prefer using a graphite crankbait rod, I've had good results using a medium power, fast action graphite rod. Sounds to me like that Crucial has too fast an action/tip for working ripbaits. Don't count all the graphite sticks out yet. An advantage that a graphite or glass/graphite blank often has is a higher level of sensitivity. The ability to 'feel' those very light bites during pauses can make the difference between an okay day or a great day.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:47 pm

I always used larger jerkbaits because the smear ones just didn't work for me and then I started using a 6'6" ML-M, and the light went on! For the smaller jerkbaits the moderate action rod was perfect for me, I learned that I was really overpowering the bait before but now all is good. I still prefer graphite medium power fast action rods in shorter 6'6" to 6'10" lengths, I'm 6'2" and I hit the water with 7' rods, even with the 6'10" I hit the water so I have to use a little shorter rip but I find I get more strikes with the shorter faster action rods when the water temp hits 50 to 55 degrees. I know some will disagree but for me, I just can't get to aggressive with a cranking style rod, yes, my landing percentage goes up but it just seems like the bait is lazy. With the fast action rod I can really impart a lot of action, and yes, I'm ripping on a slack line but I can go fast, with the cranking rod I have to hesitate after a few rips as the tip need to catch up but it all comes down to how we like to use the baits. The only trouble I have is with seeing guys using 7' rods and longer, they say they get the same depth and action but I watch my buddy and he uses a sideways sweep, he has to otherwise the rod is in the water and I just don't see how you can get the same action by working the bait like that, it looks more like fishing for walleye than bass.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:21 am

Here recently I was lucky enough to score a F4-70GTZ Tomahawk which is all graphite. I've used it the last few times out for throwing jerks and I really like it. In the past I always used a MH rod and I like the feel of the lighter stick way better. I don't know if that's because it's a designed cranking stick or if it's just the better action that I get out of it being a full power or so lighter than what I'm used to. I'll hafta try throwing it on a regular medium rod and see how it goes.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:31 am

I've probably used a dozen different rods for jerkbaits over the last 15 years. I could never find a rod that suited my style perfectly until last year. Im currently using and really like the MB X4 110 stick. The handle is nice and short so it doesn't get caught on my coat when it's cold. It feels great with my Steez mounted on it. I sweep to the side when working the bait but occasionally will sweep down if the fish want the bait a little deeper. With the 110 stick, I can do both. I won't say I never lose fish but my landing ratio is very good. If I had to describe the action, I would say it fishes like a med power, fast action rod but loads like a mod fast rod if that makes sense. I'm not sure how MB does it but I have a couple rods like this. When the bite is hot in the spring, I will have a few rods ready with jerkbaits. The Black Elseil is also a good jerkbait rod. It's got more power than the 110 but also has a longer handle which can get in the way. I will also use a Dobyns 704 glass rod if the bite is really on because it's so fun to fish. It's a little too soft as a primary jerkbait rod but if I find a school, I'll throw it.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:49 am

I use my Seekers for jerkbaits just for the reason you mentioned- I rarely lose fish on them. That and glass rods are just more fun to fish with! :lol:
I sometimes use a composite rod for jerks but just do not like a graphite rod for them, at all.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:57 pm

There is such a thing as a moderate fast graphite rod with a "quicker" tip. Fast tip to recover, and a deep flex to keep those big high flying smallmouth pinned on treble hooks. Perfect with braided lines. Set drag accordingly. No glass for this guy, sorry.

JLP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JLP » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:38 am

I use a GLoomis IMX PR8400 graphite when the fish want an aggressive action to the lure. I use a Powell Max 702CB glass for a slower action in the lure. I use a Core 51mg with 10-12 floro and I know I land more fish on the glass rod even though the graphite rod has very soft action. I've gone to the glass rod for topwater, spinnerbaits, crankbaits and vibrating jigs. It seems like the glass allows the fish to take the lures deeper from the slower reaction time that the rod will load. I use to use graphite for everything but not now.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:07 am

The Poison Adrena 610M has a quick tip but loads like a moderate action rod. The blank is crisp and recovers very quick. It is a really good graphite jerk bait rod. The Expride has a similar action, but the blank doesn't recover as quickly. One of the guys that worked with me fell in love with it for jerkbaits. I didn't get a chance to try it because he wouldn't put it down. We fished Table Rock for a day and just wrecked fish all day on jerkbaits.

The G.Loomis IMX 812 JBR is another great jerkbait rod. It has quickly become one of my favorite rods for jerkbaits.

I used to use the G.Loomis CBR845. It is a crankbait rod, but has enough power to work a jerkbait with a great landing ratio.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:02 am

Bantam1 wrote:The Poison Adrena 610M has a quick tip but loads like a moderate action rod. The blank is crisp and recovers very quick. It is a really good graphite jerk bait rod. The Expride has a similar action, but the blank doesn't recover as quickly. One of the guys that worked with me fell in love with it for jerkbaits. I didn't get a chance to try it because he wouldn't put it down. We fished Table Rock for a day and just wrecked fish all day on jerkbaits.

The G.Loomis IMX 812 JBR is another great jerkbait rod. It has quickly become one of my favorite rods for jerkbaits.

I used to use the G.Loomis CBR845. It is a crankbait rod, but has enough power to work a jerkbait with a great landing ratio.
Spot on. Sounds like my kinda rod - All but the price that is :lol:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:22 am

I concur with you on price
while I like a great rod , most of my higher priced rods are for bottom contact. than being said I dip and dabble here and here..

With the loomis JBR, I wonder how it compares to the SBR rod? I have one I think 3/8-1/2 oz but I don't remember the model number I may sell a few things to get my hands on it.. the color of the rod Bantam1 mention would go well with my conquest 50.

that being said I guess i'll look at the price different between it and the PA rod. :-k

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:55 am

Okay,

so if i was looking for an alternative rod for jb but my only thing is it has to be able to handle
Dou Realis
120 4.75" 5/8oz
110 4.00" 1/2oz
Squad Minnow
115 4.6' 5/9oz

Pointer 100
4' 5/8oz

down to caliber
xt3d
3.125" @ 3/8oz
So I would be interested in a rod that can handle those weights as those are primarily the only lures I am currently throwing.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:10 am

Pointer 78 and 100's are my norms. I have some lighter versions but they are hard to cast on windy spring days.

I use a MBR782 with the 78 and a steez 6'3MH with the 100's. Both graphite and rarely do I lose fish. I have tried my crankin rods but did not like those. For one thing, they were too long.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:33 am

Im using a conquest 50 with the four pin brakes.
they certainly made a difference with lighter stuff but the reel is a fantastic casting machine.
The roundness IMO helps a difference when twitching the bait.. I don't have any wrist fatigue.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:29 am

Poison Adrena won out Bantam1
going to get it soon.