ALX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

ALX rods

Post by romans » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:00 pm

These have peaked my interest and those that have them seem very happy with them. For those with experience how do they compare to others? I am asking in terms of power and action. Like is their fast everyone else`s XF or is their M power everyone else`s MH for example. Thanks

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ALX rods

Post by tywithay » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:24 pm

The fast feels a little slower than say a Croix or Loomis, but still fast enough to be considered fast and not moderate. I haven't tried any extra fast. As far as power, they seem pretty true to rating. The MH has a fairly light tip, but plenty of backbone. Reminds me of a 3-power Loomis. The heavy has power to spare, but it's not a broomstick. I've been extremely pleased with mine. The owner, Alex, has been great to deal with as well.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:19 am

I haven't used mine much since I started building, but when I start clearing out my inventory I will be keeping my ALX rods.

snk
Angler
Angler

Post by snk » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:32 am

Tywithay/Sarcazmo,

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but how do they compare to the rods you own as far as sensitivity and balance also. I am looking at the Zolo series. I currently have 13 envy, Dobyns Champion, and Loomis IMX rods. Trying to see where an ALX Zolo series would fit in.

Thanks,

SNK

Traybird
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Traybird » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:19 am

I have to echo what Tywihay says! As far as sensitivity they are as sensitive as my NRX, Kistler Zbone and Envys. As a matter of fact my girl friend fishes with those and I use the ALX rods :big grin:

Koldkut
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Koldkut » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:51 am

Sarcazmo,

You may want to check out the Hydra NG line of blanks, that's what the ALX Zolo line is based on.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:36 am

I'm a fan of ALX rods. As far as building a custom on them I'm not sure. If the action etc is right then go for it. But to be honest, I've been quite smitten with the new rainshadow blanks. From a pure value perspective that immortal series is hard to beat.

I've been selling off some of my rods in order to fund future builds. I might use some of the money earned to build a custom on his NG blank. My Zolo rods I think are a few years old now, not sure if the blanks have changed at all but I'm sure they have.