Most Sensitive Megabass Rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Basscatcher99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Most Sensitive Megabass Rod?

Post by Basscatcher99 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:22 am

What is the most sensitive megabass rod for bottom-contact baits in your opinion?

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Most Sensitive Megabass Rod?

Post by lpquick » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:06 am

I have been searching for years for the most sensitive bottom contact rods, NRX wins hands down IMHO. The most sensitive MB rod again IMHO is the phase III Bearingdown 1/4 - 1/2 oz. and the X7 Super Eiger 3g - 3/8 oz. My search is never ending I have a custom Phenix K2 being built which will be evaluated next. Good luck in your search please share your results.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:31 am

lpquick wrote:I have been searching for years for the most sensitive bottom contact rods, NRX wins hands down IMHO. The most sensitive MB rod again IMHO is the phase III Bearingdown 1/4 - 1/2 oz. and the X7 Super Eiger 3g - 3/8 oz. My search is never ending I have a custom Phenix K2 being built which will be evaluated next. Good luck in your search please share your results.
How close to nrx sensitivity ?

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:00 am

the hooligan wrote:
lpquick wrote:I have been searching for years for the most sensitive bottom contact rods, NRX wins hands down IMHO. The most sensitive MB rod again IMHO is the phase III Bearingdown 1/4 - 1/2 oz. and the X7 Super Eiger 3g - 3/8 oz. My search is never ending I have a custom Phenix K2 being built which will be evaluated next. Good luck in your search please share your results.
Very subjective but you first need to account for the taper and blank speed, MB doesn’t make a true fast - ex-fast rod compared directly to NRX. Another words a fast action from MB is slower if compared to a fast action in the NRX line and nothing MB makes comes close to an NRX ex-fast taper.
An NRX almost goes into warp drive when you feel a hit while a MB phase III Bearingdown seems less alive, I don’t believe you would miss anything but when using an NRX I can tell the difference between rocks and oyster shells while dragging the bottom. On my Bearingdown I feel everything I just couldn’t say for sure which is rocks and which is oyster shells. I apologize but I’m unable to convey that feeling any better. I hope that helps.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:20 am

lpquick wrote:
the hooligan wrote:
Very subjective but you first need to account for the taper and blank speed, MB doesn’t make a true fast - ex-fast rod compared directly to NRX. Another words a fast action from MB is slower if compared to a fast action in the NRX line and nothing MB makes comes close to an NRX ex-fast taper.
An NRX almost goes into warp drive when you feel a hit while a MB phase III Bearingdown seems less alive, I don’t believe you would miss anything but when using an NRX I can tell the difference between rocks and oyster shells while dragging the bottom. On my Bearingdown I feel everything I just couldn’t say for sure which is rocks and which is oyster shells. I apologize but I’m unable to convey that feeling any better. I hope that helps.
Thanks for the info, exactly what I needed. I've had my eye on the 802c nrx and 683 K2 for awhile now, can't make my mind up...

Basscatcher99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basscatcher99 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:38 am

Thanks! Good to know. I'm going to try an NRX sometime. don't have any Loomis rods yet.

Basscatcher99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basscatcher99 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:41 am

lpquick wrote:
the hooligan wrote:
What about the MB X7 Bearingdown? Probably even closer to the NRX because it's extra-fast. Could be what I'm looking for?

Basscatcher99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basscatcher99 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:42 am

Looks like the only Megabass casting ex-fast.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:55 am

I could be wrong but the x7 Bearingdown has a different tip like a stinger or like the Hedgehog special rod. I believe the tip has little to no backbone and not what you want for bottom contact fishing.

bkbz520
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bkbz520 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:40 am

Not sure about the Bearingdown but the hedgehog is very sensitive. The tip doesn't have very much power like a traditional rod but it doesn't lack backbone at all.

Basscatcher99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basscatcher99 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:25 am

bkbz520 wrote:Not sure about the Bearingdown but the hedgehog is very sensitive. The tip doesn't have very much power like a traditional rod but it doesn't lack backbone at all.
Orochi X4? Thinking about getting one to pair with the new Aldebaran when it comes out ;)

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:14 am

The X4 Ratteleviper is rated as Ext. Fast. Brian.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:27 pm

The most sensitive MB rod I own is a X7 Super Eiger. It's easily on par with my NRX893 when comparing sensativity. Both are very different rods though. It's hard to beat an NRX when comparing price vs sensativity. The X4 Super Mirage is very sensitive too, just not quite as sensitive as an NRX.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:56 am

a1712 wrote:The X4 Ratteleviper is rated as Ext. Fast. Brian.
Type F

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:14 am

Among the MB sticks I own, the Diablo and then (oddly enough) my F7-711 Destroyer flipping stick. Actually, I don't find MB rods to be all that sensitive compared to GLX GLoomis and my Diako Burroughs.