Tatula Spinning Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
WCCT
Angler
Angler

Tatula Spinning Rods

Post by WCCT » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:10 am

I'm looking for some reviews on the Tatula spinning rods. I am basically wondering how it would stack up with a Dobyns DX 702sf. This is my drop shot rod and I have gone to all Tatulas except for this one rod. I know the casting rods I have rival the DX for sensitivity but I have never owned a Daiwa spinning rod so I am not familiar with how they fish.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tatula Spinning Rods

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:55 pm

I have the 6'11 drop shot rod. Super light and a EXTRA fast tip. Sensitive too. Super soft tip with plenty of backbone. Do you have any of the Regular (moderate) taper tatula rods? Are the really soft like a CB rod or just a little less than fast?

WCCT
Angler
Angler

Post by WCCT » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:23 pm

Thanks for the input. I am torn between the 6'11 and the 7'1" ML rods. Not sure which way I am going to go yet. I just bought one of the moderate action Tatula rods but I have not fished it yet. From what I hear, they make very good crankbait rods. I am going to pull the trigger on the 7'2" MH glass rod next.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:55 am

WCCT wrote:Thanks for the input. I am torn between the 6'11 and the 7'1" ML rods. Not sure which way I am going to go yet. I just bought one of the moderate action Tatula rods but I have not fished it yet. From what I hear, they make very good crankbait rods. I am going to pull the trigger on the 7'2" MH glass rod next.
personally, i'd go with the 7'1"...the solid tip on the 6'11" model really takes getting used to and i didn't like it for anything other than dropshotting. the solid tip is fragile and when my fishing partner split the tip on the 6'11" tatula, i sent it in and asked daiwa to replace it with the 7'1" instead but they just sent me a new one of the same rod. i also have the 7'2" MH tatula spinning rod. i like the fat handles.

as for the moderate-action ("regular") tat casting rods, i have the 7'7" M...i've only used it on two trips last fall casting LV-500s. it's fairly parabolic but slightly softer than i thought it would be but it kept the fish pinned well. i find the handles too skinny though and will probably sell it soon.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:54 am

Was that one othe the glass or graphite Tatulas? I'm looking for a Tatula but I'm not impressed with the selection. I love the rod. Light and balanced. I was looking at the 7' Med Regular graphite model but if that may be too parabolic, idk

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:03 pm

I have the 7'1" ML rod paired with the Cabeals Verano 2000 and I use it for drop shotting. Picked it up last spring and put it to use on Erie Smallies and it handled them very well. I haven't fished the DX series but sensitivity was decent IMO. My only other higher end spinning rod was the old Cumara's and it didn't seem any less sensitive than that rod. The Tatula is lighter I feel for being 7'1". I had the 6'8" DS Cumara and it was tip heavy to me. Biggest fish I caught on thh Tatula so far was a 4#er. Here's a clip of it so you can see how it handled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t38A0lG ... rlBzIwv3yQ

I have held the 7' ML graphite cranking rod and I feel it's not that parabolic at all. I think my CBR845 is more parabolic than that rod and it's a MH. The rods seem to follow true Daiwa fashion as being underrated in power, not as much as the Zillion but still.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:14 pm

Thanks. I was looking to replace my 7'1 med moderate Abu Villain. I would mainly use it as a light spinnerbait/reaction bait rod. I will sell the Villain if anyone is interested. I hardly used it because I was gone all summer. It's perfect for an all around rod. I'm just looking to go all daiwa.

bassinmaumee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassinmaumee » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:36 am

Slightly off topic but I saw on your video you fish fremont for the white bass. I live in maumee and hit the walleye and whites in the spring as well. I am looking for a new spinning setup and you are happy with the tatula.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:34 am

ccass wrote:Was that one othe the glass or graphite Tatulas?
my regular action tatula is the graphite. i bought it before daiwa announced the glass tatulas otherwise i would have waited as i much prefer glass rods for crankbaits.

i also have the 7' ML randy howell tatula rod...have only used it once so far. i think i will like it for 07 shad raps. the handle on that one is very short though.

ZB85
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ZB85 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:14 am

Not to hijack the thread but I've been thinking of getting the 7'm tatula spinning rod but can't find much about it. Would this rod work good for shakyheads?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:27 am

ZB85 wrote:Not to hijack the thread but I've been thinking of getting the 7'm tatula spinning rod but can't find much about it. Would this rod work good for shakyheads?
I have that same rod and I like it for shakyheads, even though I mostly use it for weightless 4" senkos. It's a bit stiff to me for a medium, but not too bad. I would like to handle the ML to see how it compares, but I've been happy with the M.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:34 am

bassinmaumee wrote:Slightly off topic but I saw on your video you fish fremont for the white bass. I live in maumee and hit the walleye and whites in the spring as well. I am looking for a new spinning setup and you are happy with the tatula.
I am very happy with the Tatula. My only gripe is that either my rod is defective or it's a spinning rod issue but my spinning reel doesn't sit tight on the rod. I have it locked down but it wiggles when you fight a fish. It's not noticeable til fish on. The Cabela's reel is made by Daiwa so I don't know if it's the reel or the rod. Daiwa has made another reel that doesn't fit their rods so who knows.

This spinning rod is probably one of my fave's by far but I don't own too many spinning rods anymore. I did like my black Cumara but I just found it tip heavy and I couldn't balance it out. I also have a Powell 732 spinning that felt sloppy after fishing this Tatula. In my hands, the Daiwa blanks are very crisp and I like that a lot about them.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:12 am

legendaryyaj wrote:I am very happy with the Tatula. My only gripe is that either my rod is defective or it's a spinning rod issue but my spinning reel doesn't sit tight on the rod. I have it locked down but it wiggles when you fight a fish. It's not noticeable til fish on. The Cabela's reel is made by Daiwa so I don't know if it's the reel or the rod. Daiwa has made another reel that doesn't fit their rods so who knows.
none of my 'cabela's by daiwa' spinning reels fit quite right on my tatula spinning rods either :lol: :roll: ](*,) however, my JDM daiwa freams fits on it fine.