Anyone disappointed by the balance of MB rods ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone disappointed by the balance of MB rods ?

Post by Bass1980 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Just got my X7 Bearing Down and X7 Extreme Mission. The BD was a bit tip heavy but not too bad. The EM obviously was more with it's longer length. I guess I've been spoiled with Dobyns Champ and 13 Envy's. Was just thinking moving up to the MB rods the weight and balance would be incredible. It's ok though, I'm sure it'll fish just fine when I'm actually on the water. :lol:

X7 Bearing Down with Metanium.

X7 Extreme Mission with Metanium

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:52 pm

man those are real beautiful set ups. but i cant get over the fact of how unbalanced they are, thats not just alittle. whats up with this megabass?!

you would think for this much money they would be better

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:58 pm

This is why i love the XX rods so much, seems like they are the most balanced rods in the lineup.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:00 am

Maybe Mb doesn't consider balance to be the most important feature of their rods.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:44 am

I've got three MB rods, a F6-70XX, a F5-69DG, and a F4-70GTZ, and I've never even checked the balance point on any of them. They all fish like a dream so I guess it's never occurred to me. We only get to fish one day a week, but we're usually out for 8-10hrs at a time. I've never felt like I was wore out from fishing an balanced rod. Maybe if I got to go more often I'd notice it.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:52 am

Pen3 wrote:Aren't spinning combos super unbalanced though? i don't see anyone complain about that when on the water and you rarely fish tip down neither.
All depends on how you hold 'em. I started holding them with the reel stem between my pinky and ring finger and that was a big improvement in balance over holding the reel stem between my middle and ring finger. The farther you place the reel behind your grip point the more it works as a counterweight.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:57 am

Oddly enough, my MB spinning rod balances out pretty nice with my pinky under the stem of the reel.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:20 am

Pen3 wrote:Oddly enough, my MB spinning rod balances out pretty nice with my pinky under the stem of the reel.

I dont know if there is a better looking spinning rod then those X7's. Gorgeous =P~

DelcoSol
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DelcoSol » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:12 am

What is you ideal balancing point? This thread got me curious about my rods and reels and it seems like most of mine are similiar to your Bearing Down. For example my NRX893 with Metanium balances right by the wrap for the hook keeper. I tried to put a heavier reel on (conquest 100 roughly 8oz) and it didn't change the point too much, maybe 1/8" closer to the reel seat. So, assuming that the ideal spot is under the nut of the reel seat I figure I would need a reel around 10oz to achieve this. Does this seem right? It doesn't make sense why we go and get these super light weight reels when there isn't a 7'+ rod that they will balance on.

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:29 am

its all on the user i guess. i can feel it, enough to where i know im working just alittle extra when it comes to casting, working a bait, lifting.

adding a few grams on the butt end to have the balance (if neccessary) i like always makes fishing easier for me. i can do 1 hand cast alot easier, lift jigs with little effort, can be completely relaxed with the rod in my hand and not have to worry about holding it up.

my megasbass f5x4 feels lighter with a 10oz reel than it does with a 6oz reel. but balance is subjective. all on the user

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:33 am

i seen so many different ways people hold their rods. every grip has a different feel.

i seen alot of saltwater bass fishermen hold a casting rod waaaaay high. they got their thumbs and index finger on the line.

seen guys hold it like a pistol (japanese fishermen from what i seen).

i hold it with my index finger on the line and my pinky above the trigger. no matter what technique im doing. i even cast with my hands in that position

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:00 pm

DelcoSol wrote:What is you ideal balancing point? This thread got me curious about my rods and reels and it seems like most of mine are similiar to your Bearing Down. For example my NRX893 with Metanium balances right by the wrap for the hook keeper. I tried to put a heavier reel on (conquest 100 roughly 8oz) and it didn't change the point too much, maybe 1/8" closer to the reel seat. So, assuming that the ideal spot is under the nut of the reel seat I figure I would need a reel around 10oz to achieve this. Does this seem right? It doesn't make sense why we go and get these super light weight reels when there isn't a 7'+ rod that they will balance on.
It's subjective, I know a guy with popeye massive forearms and nothing bothers him. He still uses 10oz older Quantum reels. For me ideal balance point is 1 finger away from nose of the reel. I know even that has a lot of variables due to finger size, length of reel, and weight of reel. The bearing down-Metanium setup is fine even though it's a bit off since it is light overall. The extreme mission is noticeably unbalance but it is 7'5. I tried my 7.1oz 51e on it and yes it helped it out slightly. I'm sure I can live with it though. A Metanium DC will find its place there at 6.7oz.

sly
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sly » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:07 pm

Since I started this thread I'd like to give some feedback after testing the MB F5-66X rod a couple of times.

The balance with my Core 101mg is not all that bad, just not that feather light feeling I get with my cumara 6'8MH or Loomis bcr803.
Now, the action is great with the tip loading very easily, and the backbone in the first 2/3 of the rod is impressive.
But what really impresses me is the sensitivity...it gives this feeling of being connected to your lure and aware of everything going on. I fished 5" swimbaits on swimjigs, rubber jigs, and I could feel just everything.
Not sure how it really compares with my bcr803 glx, but it surely is more sensitive than my cumara 6'8 !
All in all, a very nice rod.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:39 pm

sly wrote:Since I started this thread I'd like to give some feedback after testing the MB F5-66X rod a couple of times.

The balance with my Core 101mg is not all that bad, just not that feather light feeling I get with my cumara 6'8MH or Loomis bcr803.
Now, the action is great with the tip loading very easily, and the backbone in the first 2/3 of the rod is impressive.
But what really impresses me is the sensitivity...it gives this feeling of being connected to your lure and aware of everything going on. I fished 5" swimbaits on swimjigs, rubber jigs, and I could feel just everything.
Not sure how it really compares with my bcr803 glx, but it surely is more sensitive than my cumara 6'8 !
All in all, a very nice rod.
Good to hear. =D> Often times overall weight can be construed as unbalanced until it's actually measured. I agree, that most MB rods are a tad heavy compared to others, but as far as engineering and performance, they are definitely a top tier rod (and exotic looking to boot). I can honestly say, I've not been disappointed by any MB rod I've owned. Glad to hear the rod is meeting your expectations.

dogfightmore
Angler
Angler

Post by dogfightmore » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:41 am

I don't buy MB Rods for lightness/balance, but rather for durability, versatility......and above all aesthetics, baby!

Got to look gud on the water :)