Kistler zbone

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
TackleJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Kistler zbone

Post by TackleJ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:42 am

How does the z-bone compare to similar prices rods like the loomis glx, dobyns champion extreme and megabass orochi xx/x4 in terms of sensitivity, weight, balance, components etc.
Last edited by TackleJ on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Kistler zbone

Post by trent_s » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:49 am

If they're built on NFC HM graphite still, they will surpass all the rods mentioned in sensitivity and weight. But not in components...Kistler grips and guides are not that good. The nod would go to the new GLX rods in that category, with top grade cork grips and TSiC guides.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:20 am

It's 46 ton NFC blank with fairly minimal trimmings, so it is lighter, better balanced, and more sensitive than the rods you have listed there.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:21 am

I've got one from the first year they were released. It's held up very well. It's sensativity is on par with NRX. Im not sure how the latest version compares.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:40 am

I have 2 Custom Z-Bones, great rods,my buddy was using his G-Loomis and I was in the back of the boat,just killin' it.
He just kept looking back wondering "WTF".

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:26 am

As for sensitivity my LE zbone is right up there with my nrx rods and maybe more even but it is so close. The blank is definitely more crisp.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:10 pm

I have 12 or 13 NRX's and one custom Z-Bone. The Z-Bone is not as sensitive as the NRX's, but it's close. The blank is not as fast as most of the NRX's, which might explain why it's not quite as sensitive for the deeper baits we generally fish. However, dealing with Kistler getting the rod made was a nightmare. I should have listened to all the advice on the 'net about watching out when dealing with them. I like the rod, even though it still has documented build flaws Kistler refuses to fix. But I will never, ever buy another of their products. I'd go right to the man for that now, since Gary Loomis is making rods through his Edge Rods company.

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:53 am

jeb wrote:I have 12 or 13 NRX's and one custom Z-Bone. The Z-Bone is not as sensitive as the NRX's, but it's close. The blank is not as fast as most of the NRX's, which might explain why it's not quite as sensitive for the deeper baits we generally fish. However, dealing with Kistler getting the rod made was a nightmare. I should have listened to all the advice on the 'net about watching out when dealing with them. I like the rod, even though it still has documented build flaws Kistler refuses to fix. But I will never, ever buy another of their products. I'd go right to the man for that now, since Gary Loomis is making rods through his Edge Rods company.
How long are you going to complain about your one Kistler rod? Let it go man.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:27 am

For every bad story there's a good one.

Kistler made a mistake and sent me a different rod. Trey Kistler himself called me to apologize and gave me a SMOKING deal.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:03 pm

mikeysam wrote:How long are you going to complain about your one Kistler rod? Let it go man.
Just as long as Kistler refuses to correct their documented mistake.

Basscatcher99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basscatcher99 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:59 am

Anybody know how the sensitivity on the z-bone (in particular the 7'3" med-hvy) compares to more expensive Megabass rods like Phase 3s and X7s for bottom contact applications?

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:39 am

Basscatcher99 wrote:Anybody know how the sensitivity on the z-bone (in particular the 7'3" med-hvy) compares to more expensive Megabass rods like Phase 3s and X7s for bottom contact applications?
Kistler zbone is more sensitive.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:12 am

mikeysam wrote:
Basscatcher99 wrote:Anybody know how the sensitivity on the z-bone (in particular the 7'3" med-hvy) compares to more expensive Megabass rods like Phase 3s and X7s for bottom contact applications?
Kistler zbone is more sensitive.
It definitly depends on a particular rod in the lineup when it comes to MB. I have an X7 Super Eiger that is more sensitive than my Zbone. I don't know first hand how the Extreme Mission compares but from those who have fished them, the opinion is that they are very close to NRX sensativity. The Nautalus also gets high praise in the sensativity department.

TackleJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TackleJ » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:01 am

I notice the z bone has been discontinued. Are they coming out with a new one?

mike464
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mike464 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:31 am

Where did you see that, I hope you are wrong. Update: I messaged Trey Kistler and asked him, he told me the 2015 Z Bones would start up next month and they are NOT discontinued.