MB F4.5-711 GTA/Rods for oversize cranks

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

MB F4.5-711 GTA/Rods for oversize cranks

Post by SouthArkFishin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:46 am

I was reading Cal's review of the LC SKT Magnum again and I noticed he mentioned he was throwing it on his F4.5-711GTA. It didn't register the first time I read it, but this last time I realized that he was throwing a 3oz+ bait on a rod that's only rated up to 3/4oz. I'm assuming he wasn't babying it since you need to make long, bombing type casts to fish those deep cranks effectively so how was he getting away with it? Is it just a product of his experience and skill with heavy baits or is the rod just that stout? I'm looking for a rod for the SKTs and 10XDs, ect. Is the 711GTA a viable option? I've also considered the 13 Fishing Crankenstein. I'd really like to stay with a designed cranking rod if possible. What are you guys using?

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: MB F4.5-711 GTA/Rods for oversize cranks

Post by Farnorth » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:56 am

There is a TT review posted for that rod. Should answer some of your questions.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:43 am

Farnorth wrote:There is a TT review posted for that rod. Should answer some of your questions.
Yeah, I've read the review a couple of times and he mentions throwing 1.25 or 1.5oz spoons with it, but that's a far cry from a 3.25oz crankbait. That's why I was wondering if it was the rod or just his skill level.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:53 am

"Casting: The F4.5-711GTA is rated down to one quarter of an ounce in lure weight and up to three quarters of an ounce. Paired with the right reel, the low end is possible with this stick though not a weight I would throw often. Three quarters of an ounce is a very conservative upper end rating. This stick can really handle a lot more and I think its sweet spot lies somewhere between half an ounce on up to two ounces (1/2 - 2 oz). In fact, I love this stick for throwing big cranks like Megabass's own Deep Six and Lucky Craft's SKT Magnum series of cranks listed at just over three ounces!"

From the review, thought it was pretty well tailored to your question. I have the rod and really like it but the deep six is the largest crank in my tackle box so no direct experience. Best of luck!