2 piece spinning rod joints

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

2 piece spinning rod joints

Post by MondayMonkey » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:59 am

Just purchased a new 2 piece megabass spinning rod (shoreluck sll-68ul). I'll admit this is my first 2pc with this type of joint. My question is are the 2 joints supposed to meet perfectly in the middle? My rod joint stops short exposing about 3/8" of the ferulle almost exactly like what you see in the picture from TT's Kirisame review. The joint is tight (it won't budge at all to get closer) and feels good at that point no rattle and everything seems fine. So are those 2 points supposed to meet perfectly or is this normal?

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2 piece spinning rod joints

Post by MondayMonkey » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:02 am

Lazy me after some intense googlefuu I learned that's called a spigot ferrule and there is normally a 1/8 to 1/2 inch gap in those... :lol: :lol:

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:16 am

I wonder if the megabass racing condition world edition 2 piece casting rods join together in that exact same way. Does anyone know? I was thinking about buying one.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:58 am

To be fair the rod feels amazing and so does the joint. It just looks a little odd not something i was used to.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:56 am

No no no, that doesn't look right. Send the rod to me so I can do some test. I should finish testing by end of the season. 8-[

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:09 am

tditox4 wrote:I wonder if the megabass racing condition world edition 2 piece casting rods join together in that exact same way. Does anyone know? I was thinking about buying one.
My MB RC baitcaster does the same thing, about 3/8 inch. Just got it and haven't looked into it. Thanks for the post.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:14 am

the new Daiwa Team S 2pc are like this too.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:46 am

I have the same rod...not sure I'll ever use it.....just looks too nice....LOL. The joints made like that. I am an avid UL angler and have used several rods with the spigot type....never any problems.

Regards

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:21 am

The spigot ferrule has been around for a long, long time. It is common on fly rods and is the best ferrule design in my opinion. Strong and long lasting. The gap is normal and necessary. As the ferrule is connected and disconnected it will wear. If there was no gap it would become loose. The gap ensures that the top can always travel just a little farther down the ferrule as the system wears, allowing for a tight reliable joint.

The ferrules should be kept clean. A few times each season clean out the female portion with a q-tip and some alcohol (rubbing alcohol is fine). The male portion should also be cleaned with alcohol.

There is some dispute, but I like to lubricate ferrules with a bit of parafin wax. You can just rub a bit of candle wax (you can also buy bee's wax or even special ferrule wax) on the male portion.

Joe C.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:24 am

One more thing - the thread wraps on the spigot ferrule are important. They keep the blank from splitting. It's important to not jam the two pieces together too hard. A very slight twisting motion should be used and the ferrules seated just tight enough that they don't wobble, click or turn. If the ferrule splits, sometimes it can be wrapped over or even trimmed. This is something I've run into with 50 year old collectible fiberglass fly rods.

Joe C.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Does anyone know if all 2 piece megabass break in the middle rods look like that when assembled ?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:59 am

MondayMonkey wrote:Lazy me after some intense googlefuu I learned that's called a spigot ferrule and there is normally a 1/8 to 1/2 inch gap in those... :lol: :lol:
I knew I heard of that word before...will probably forget what it's called in about a few months again. :big grin:

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:19 am

My Fenwicks are the same way - you'll have no problem with them at all.

Get a bottle of this. Well worth the money, it will last you for years.

http://www.mudhole.com/Fly-Tying/Cleane ... Lube-1-oz-

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:58 am

Settled, no problem, fish in piece.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:27 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of spigot ferrules...lol, the look does take some getting used to, but cornmuse nailed it on the description. Don't know if most every JDM two piece rod uses them (barring of course models that have removable handles), but I have a handful, and the only one that uses a good ol' standard 'Murican ferrule lol , that we in the U.S. are accustomed to is the Jackall Tranpo...may be others, I don't have one of everything, but tis the only model Ive run across as such, thus far...