light weight muskie/pike swimbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

light weight muskie/pike swimbait rod

Post by toporanger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:04 am

So most of my muskie rods are tackle industries as weight of the actual rod with a big reel isn't normally a concern. Well I just picked up a exo 300 which is lighter than a tatula. Putting this reel on a normal weight muskie rod probably won't balance well. I plan on using the combo for in lines, double 6-8s, cranks under 4ozs, and just general pike sized lures (1oz spoons etc).

Give me some options under 300 preferably under 200. I'm thinking there are some bass umbrella and swimbait rods that will work but ive never looked in that market. I have been eyeing the okuma big bait mh rods.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: light weight muskie/pike swimbait rod

Post by Vince Borges » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:32 am

Take a look at the Phenix M1 Inshore rods. Very popular for swimbaits and Musky. Extremely light weight and balance great with light reels. http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?mai ... page&id=78

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Dobyns Champion swimbait rods would be worth looking into. They have the standard and the Mike Long versions. They start around $260...they're always included in websites 20% off sales too.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dobyns_C ... DCSBT.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dobyns_C ... DCMLT.html

here's a bunch to sort through http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Swimbait ... SBRDS.html

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:50 pm

How light are the dobyns? Hopefully this weekend I can test the reel on my ti my 9 footer. But I'm pretty sure it will be a bit heavy in weight to balance with the exo. Its just about perfect with my revo toro 50.

One problem I'm finding with the swimbait rods (other then not knowing the weight) is that most are actually rated for heavier lures then I will be using. The dobyns my looks promising as does the okuma big bait.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:08 pm

Here's what I noticed between the Bass line-up of rods and the Musky line-up of rods. Even though a bass rod may have the same lure rating as a musky rod, the components of that musky rod are different (i.e., the musky rods have hardier guides, larger reel seats, etc.). Granted, you can easily catch a musky with bass gear, however musky fishing is just inherently "rougher" on equipment (e.g., Figure 8's, scrambling around the boat when a fish strikes at your feet, shuffling gear around to make room for a quick measurement, picture, and release, etc.). I guess my point is if you wanted a lighter weight musky rod, I would look for a higher end musky rod (like a St. Croix or an old G Loomis Maroon Series), which has the hardier components, and you'll be further ahead. Just my humble opinion.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:56 am

If you happen upon an old Fenwich HMX 8ft MH Musky, that is the stick to get. At $150 retail, and less now if you find them on blowout (I piad $75) they are probably the best crossover stick I have handled. Most hardcore muskie guys found the power to be too light, not for fish, but for throwing baits like Pounders. As it is built with specs for an all around rod, they just didn't sell well enough. They are like a Bass Swimbait blank built for musky with double footed guides and a solid reel seat.
They have PLENTY of backbone for fighting Musky, Pike and Big Bass, and I toss baits as heavy as BBZ's and 8" Hudds on them, as well as Double Cowgirl 8 and 10's.
Because the rod didn't have enough power, it means the blank is lighter than most musky rods. Add to that a big full grip and foregrip, and it balances really nicely. Might still be a bit tip heavy with your Exo, but it's not like you are jigging tip up, and you'll thank the tip heaviness when it offsets the pull of big double 10 blades.
Hard to find, but hands down the best value in a rod I have ever seen.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:14 am

Also, the Okumas are awesome and very similar. I didn't see that you had mentioned them.
Great all around action for single hooks and trebles.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:38 am

I know I should totally do the tackle your thing and get a st Croix top-n-tail or long ranger but I just can't seem to pull the trigger. Maybe I'll be OK with my TI rod, we shall see in a few days. That okuma is tempting though. I found some of the hmx rods for under 100 also.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:10 am

toporanger wrote:I know I should totally do the tackle your thing and get a st Croix top-n-tail or long ranger but I just can't seem to pull the trigger.
I had the Downsizer which is rated lighter than these two…I had a Abu Record on it….I didn't care for casting it…It's still a stiff heavy rod compared to a swim bait rod with comparable specs. Light musky and swim bait rods can all handle fighting big fish, I just find the Musky rods unpleasant for the baits I threw…which sound like the ones you toss…big pike baits. When I get around to it again, I'll be looking for a softer tipped swim bait or inshore blank.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:53 pm

Yeah Vinnie I think we are on the same page. My TI MH rod is great, I love the ability to really launch baits with the 9 foot rod and figure 8s are simple with it. But its borderline unpleasant for lighter baits, just to much rod. It can handle throwing baits in the 1-3 oz range but its just not comfortable.

Ill need to see if I can get my hands on one of the okumas to try at a minimum.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:46 am

The Crucial Flipping Stick is on sale right now at this site and might fit your criteria:

http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/sh ... dium=email

DaveJ

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Wed May 06, 2015 10:22 am

OOOOOH now thats tempting. And the wife is out of town..... Might get delivered before she gets home..... Thanks Dave!