Looking for a worm rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Yerman
Angler
Angler

Looking for a worm rod

Post by Yerman » Mon May 25, 2015 2:53 am

Hey everyone.

I am looking for a new rod that will handle texas rig worms with 1/4oz to 3/4oz weights, carolina rig worms with 1/4oz to 3/4oz weights, and senkos - weightless or with a small weight.

I recently finished up a trip to El Salto where I used one of the loaner rods which was a TFO 7' MH and I loved the action of it and the handle length. Something about the tip made it really easy to cast worms a mile but it had a backbone for good hooksets. But it was lacking in the sensitivity department.

A few of the key features I am looking for:

- Must have a long handle. At El Salto, it was very nice to set the hook on BIG bass with the handle tucked under my arm. As an example, my Crucial 7' MH has a very short handle that doesn't work good for this so it must be longer than my CRC-70MH

- Backbone with light tip for the reasons stated above

- 7' or slightly longer

- Sensitive so I can feel everything going on down there

- Under $200

- We fish 20lb at El Salto for abrasion resistance. It doesn't need to be rated for 20lb but we do pull hard on these fish to get them out of the sticks. I'd prefer a MH to keep weight down and sensitivity up.

I've been looking at the following but am open for other suggestions.
- G. Loomis E6X Casting Rod 7'1" Med Hvy 853C JWR
- Dobyns Savvy Micro Casting Rod 7' Med Hvy
- TFO Gary Loomis Tactical Cast Rod 7'3" Med Hvy

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for a worm rod

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:21 am

The Loomis will be the most sensitive, but don't see it handling a 3/4oz weight plus plastic very well. In that series I would look at either the 844MBR or the 854JWR. The 7'2 H Zodias rod would be another good choice. Won't be a lot of difference in sensitivity or weight between the MH and H but will give you the power to get the real big ones to the boat. The Zodias is very light for the power it has.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon May 25, 2015 3:38 am

The 7'2MH zodias would work nice, check it out.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon May 25, 2015 3:44 am

You can post up some pix of those Big Ass Bass in the show and tell section. :big grin: :big grin:
I use mostly all Heavy Power rods at El Salto. The only MH is a Kistler 7'4" H3 full handle.
I find the heavy power the best for those Big Ass Bass.

smallie_hunter
Angler
Angler

Post by smallie_hunter » Mon May 25, 2015 3:51 am

Take a look at the dobyns champion 703c or 704c, if you look around you can get one for under $200. Even the Savy series 703c or 704c is a good option.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:58 am

I'd suggest trying that Dobyns, but upsize to 7' Hvy. They tend to run a little soft, but they're fun to fish and perform well. For the record, I've read a review or two suggesting these sticks lack sensitivity, but don't buy into it. They are plenty light and crisp enough, sell for a fair price. I'm not big on micros, at all, might suggest standard Savvy with minima kigan/alconite setup instead.

I've no experience with E6X (I gave up on GL in '06) but how bad could it be?

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon May 25, 2015 10:38 am

used 13 envy MH

sac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sac » Mon May 25, 2015 11:44 am

cndbasshunter wrote:The 7'2MH zodias would work nice, check it out.
^This! I'm rocking a Zodias Chronarch Ci4 combo for worms, super awesome setup. Very sensitive with plenty backbone

Yerman
Angler
Angler

Post by Yerman » Tue May 26, 2015 5:00 am

Thanks for the responses guys.

How do the Zodias rods work at casting light baits? Does the tip load up nice?

Yerman
Angler
Angler

Post by Yerman » Wed May 27, 2015 3:52 am

Made it into the tackle store yesterday and got to pull on a few rods.

The Zodias is definitely stiffer than the E6X. Both very light, but the E6X had a lighter tip and I think would throw lighter baits much better.

I also pulled on some Dobyn's Champion rods. Very nice rods but I didn't think they were that much nicer than the E6X to justify the cost difference. I could be wrong.

Also checked on a Phenix Ultra MBX...very nice rod. The handle was a little shorter than the other rods and I like a slightly longer handle.

I think I am going to go with the G. Loomis E6X Casting Rod 7'1" Med Hvy 853C JWR

Thanks for your help guys. I guess it all boils down to holding each one and seeing which one you like.

Funny thing is that I found this tackle store last minute and I never knew they existed. They have the best selection of freshwater gear than anyone around and I didn't know there were there. I guess I'm just lucky I got to pull on them first.

Yerman
Angler
Angler

Post by Yerman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:02 am

Got to fish the new Loomis...I love it. Highly recommended to anyone in the same decision as me.