Been out of it for a while -- top choices in $150 pricepoint

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Been out of it for a while -- top choices in $150 pricepoint

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:37 am

Last year I remember feeling pretty confident about the top rod choices in this range, but with all these releases at Icast and new series, things have changed.

Which rods between $100 and $160 or so top the charts in your opinion?

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Been out of it for a while -- top choices in $150 pricep

Post by JWR075 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:55 am

$100.00 range I have fished nothing that compares to my Omen and according to 13 the new Omen is even better. The Tatula rod is my $150.00 range rod for now. And it looks like Megabass just made big waves in the $200.00 range.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:20 am

How can anyone say without having fished them, and further, without many people fishing them to have a big sample size to choose from. Drop the haters and the fanboys and you generally have a pretty good consensus about how a product performs.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:24 am

If the Omen and the Tatula are actually improved though, I would have to agree. Already very nice rods.
If the Levante can bring performance near the Envy without recoil guides they will probably have a smash hit.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:37 am

JWR075 wrote:$100.00 range I have fished nothing that compares to my Omen and according to 13 the new Omen is even better. The Tatula rod is my $150.00 range rod for now. And it looks like Megabass just made big waves in the $200.00 range.
Pretty much this, add in the zodias for the levante range. Zodias is using k micro alconites if i remember correctly vs levante full size fuji's

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:41 am

Been loving the Zodias so far, lots of rod for the price. Will be ordering a few Hyuga and Levante to test out when available.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:24 am

Tatula can be had for 100 bucks, give or take 10 bucks. It depends on the model. Auction sites or snooping around for deals, the Tatula is quite affordable and a great rod.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:40 am

It is no secret that I really like the Fenwick rods in that price point. The Aetos is getting hard to find on sale but even at the current price I believe it is a good deal, and at $100 I know a lot really like the Omen but the build quality and performance of the HMG I believe will rival the Omen. Another $100 I don't see mentioned much is the Okuma EVX rods, they are serious contenders of being the best $100 rod, no bling, just performance.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:05 am

Zodias is definitely solid but it's above the pricepoint.

IMO, the Omen Black had three weaknesses: questionable handle/reel seat, cheap/lousy components, and poor build quality. If you're ever picking through some Omens on a rack, prepare yourself for a lot of frowning. However, these flaws were offset (IMO) by excellent balance and, as Bill and Ted would say, a most excellent blank. Still, the Omen came out at a time when the $100 market was weak and one could argue that it started an arms-race of sorts as more and more companies sought to offer competitive products. I don't think anything is better around $100 retail (yet). Then again, who pays retail? :lol:

If the gen 2's maintain the balance, performance, and sensitivity of the originals while improving the shortcomings, then we're going to have a real monster on our hands in the $100-120 range. Bonus if they're going to redo the A models as well. That 6'10" ML casting is a great rod.

Also we're going to need to see how far under $200 those MC Corzza's will come in at.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:17 am

CGrinder wrote:Zodias is definitely solid but it's above the pricepoint.

IMO, the Omen Black had three weaknesses: questionable handle/reel seat, cheap/lousy components, and poor build quality. If you're ever picking through some Omens on a rack, prepare yourself for a lot of frowning. However, these flaws were offset (IMO) by excellent balance and, as Bill and Ted would say, a most excellent blank. Still, the Omen came out at a time when the $100 market was weak and one could argue that it started an arms-race of sorts as more and more companies sought to offer competitive products. I don't think anything is better around $100 retail (yet). Then again, who pays retail? :lol:

If the gen 2's maintain the balance, performance, and sensitivity of the originals while improving the shortcomings, then we're going to have a real monster on our hands in the $100-120 range. Bonus if they're going to redo the A models as well. That 6'10" ML casting is a great rod.

Also we're going to need to see how far under $200 those MC Corzza's will come in at.
I feel the same way about the omens. The guides are very flexible and their longevity worries me. The blank is nice, but too fast for my preferences (at least the 7'1 mh). The reel seat is painful as well.

I heard the new omens are faster in action than gen 1, so I am swayed from them a bit, but still, I agree they look to be one of the top choices if they build from the success of the gen 1 omens.

The enigma rods have caught my eye as well. Anyone used one?

Ranger05
Angler
Angler

Post by Ranger05 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:27 pm

I'm pretty shocked that Shimano rods are still turning heads with that 1-year limited (don't really want to fool with you) warranty they now have.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:36 pm

Shimano Crucial
St Croix Premier (Avid if you can spend $190)
Dobyn's Savvy

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:10 pm

Hammer Rods are among the best "value" rods out there in my opinion, they just aren't very well known yet. They're made in the U.S., have a great warranty, use quality components, and are versatile in general. The rods feel and fish great at their price point. With the "TT10" discount code, they're very close to that $150 mark shipped to your door.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 8_809_1145

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:11 am

Ranger05 wrote:I'm pretty shocked that Shimano rods are still turning heads with that 1-year limited (don't really want to fool with you) warranty they now have.
You can pay an extra 50 or 60 bucks for that long warranty, or have the money go into the build of the rod. If it breaks after a year of use, it's not the rod's fault. Sure, you'll have to choke on it a little because we are so used to just getting new ones years after we bought them, but that's a function of the market. Buy a warranty, or buy a rod. You choose I guess. I like my Zodias more than anything in the range and that says alot because I LOVE my ENVY sticks, flaws and all. If I was flush with free cash as in years past I would have a grip of them as we speak.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:57 am

Off of just feel alone, would you say the Zodias is more senstive in your hands over the Envy?