Extra fast or fast?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ggmogollon
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Extra fast or fast?

Post by ggmogollon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:44 am

I fish texas rig, 3/16, 3/8, and 1/2, but I just found out that I bought an extra fast rod, will it do the job? I am within the return period, I have the 7 ft 1 tatula extra fast medium heavy, I have a daiwa exceller medium fast, but want to use this one for pitching logs, docks, and rocks, willthis do the job better than fast tip? I read that the extra fast is better from some sites, and from others, they say fast is best.
Thanks.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Extra fast or fast?

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:15 am

I see no response to your inquiry, so allow me to sprinkle a bit. Several variables determine how a rod performs, guide placement in particular when it comes to taper. Truth is 'fast' could be equal to another manufacturers 'extra fast' and so on. Designation is somewhat subjective in this regard, but as a general rule I believe the faster the 'tip' the more accurate the presentation. Your rod selection is on the right track, so don't worry about it and go catch some fish. Peace.

ggmogollon
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ggmogollon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanks for the insight, the main point for me was if I would have any trouble using extra fast tip vs fast, since fast bends 1/3 of the rod, and extra fast is 1/4. I read that extra fast is great for topwater, but I would like a rod that really suits plastics in the weights I fish.
Thanks,

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:44 am

An extra fast medium heavy rod is great for Texas rigs and jigs. I can't see you having any problems. For top water or any treble hook baits, I like a mod fast action. For plastics and jigs, I like a fast or extra fast action.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:23 am

I had that rod a year or so back and found the action to be a true extra fast. I personally am not a fan of extra fast action, but as long as you are not using braid you should be fine with Texas rigs. If you are using braid, there will be no give in either the rod or line, so you will miss the fish that don't get your bait well and will hook lots very shallowly in their mouth. At least that's what happened to me with the braid and XF action combo. I'm sure some people get away with the combo with their fishing style (or hook setting style rather) but it didn't work for me.

To keep it short, id stay away from Xf if you are looking for a versatile rod or if you are using braid.

jakob1010
Angler
Angler

Post by jakob1010 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:31 am

Afrayedknot wrote:I had that rod a year or so back and found the action to be a true extra fast. I personally am not a fan of extra fast action, but as long as you are not using braid you should be fine with Texas rigs. If you are using braid, there will be no give in either the rod or line, so you will miss the fish that don't get your bait well and will hook lots very shallowly in their mouth. At least that's what happened to me with the braid and XF action combo. I'm sure some people get away with the combo with their fishing style (or hook setting style rather) but it didn't work for me.

To keep it short, id stay away from Xf if you are looking for a versatile rod or if you are using braid.
I bought a 7'1" Medium Heavy Fast Omen a couple of weeks ago for Texas Rigs and Jigs. Will that be fine with 14# Sniper FC hook setting wise?

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:49 am

Yes you should be fine with that set up as long as the rod is not too powerful for the size weights and baits you are using.