What is a good rod for smaller Lunker Punker

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

What is a good rod for smaller Lunker Punker

Post by Backlash Picker » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:41 am

Hello,

I bought a 5 inch (1.1 oz) injected Lunker Punker and am trying to walk it on my 7 foot 9 inch heavy big bait rod (Abu Garcia). However, I'm having trouble walking the bait with that rod and want to go with a shorter rod. My other crank rod is a Powell 703 and its over powered by the Lunker Punker. So I might be looking for a good heavy power rod that I can use for the Punker. I saw the Dobyn's 706cb, but it is out of my price range. I'm looking for something under $150.

So got any suggestions for a rod that is good for throwing a small Lunker Punker and doesn't break my small bank. By the way, is a moderate or moderate fast action better for a walking bait, like the Punker, compared to a fast action rod??

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Backlash Picker

Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Re: What is a good rod for smaller Lunker Punker

Post by Backlash Picker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:24 am

Any thoughts about this?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is a good rod for smaller Lunker Punker

Post by bronzefly » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:48 pm

I'd go with a Hammer 7'6" Swim Bait rod. It's definitely capable of tossing that punker effectively and does have a more moderate fast taper which I prefer for that technique, and others you'd employ with this rod. It's list price is $187, but with the "TT10" discount code at The Tackle Trap, it comes in just a bit over budget at $168.30 shipped to your door. Consider that they're made in the US, have a lifetime warranty to the original owner with completion and registration of the warranty card, and are all around better blanks and rods than most rods in that price range in my opinion. Let me know if you have any questions about this particular rod, or Hammer Rods in general.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 8_809_1426