Dobyns Extreme HP up on website

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dobyns Extreme HP up on website

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:14 am

civicrr wrote:I haven't really been able to fish much this year (relatively speaking). Been times when I've missed a whole week...haha. Seriously though, I've been a lot more involved with my daughter's swim team, work, etc, etc. That said, I haven't been posting as much although I've been lurking. It also means I've not ventured out into testing new equipment or going to stores to check them out much either. Part of that was buying a new truck in early summer! New truck = less money to spend.

My resistance to spending weakened recently, I picked up a new Extreme HP DX744. (Keep in mind that I've been very happy with my rods so really felt no need to look at the new HP Extremes.) Construction quality looks great. New butt cap & reel hood look more refined that previous generation. I don't really like the look of rubberized cork but it is durable as all get out. Cork quality, judged by amount of fill, seems better than my older generation Extremes. Less fill and tighter tolerances where the cork meets seat & decorative elements. IMO, graphics look more mature. I like the matte finish & the un-sanded section of blank. Visually, the blank looks slightly thinner e.g. smaller blank diameter. Thread wrap & finish look good. Wraps are tight & there seems to be an appropriate amount of finish applied. (Might be the time to say I also bought a HP DX743 & HP DX745 too. This applies to the three models/examples I now own.) Not that the 'old' Extreme rods had bad wraps at all. I'm just saying that these look really good. I honestly like the move to Fuji guides. Never had a problem with the Kigan guides but....Fuji just seems to be the king.

Now, I've only fished the rod (DX744) one time. That means you need to take my opinion with a grain of salt. I fished the the new HP DX744 side by side with my current DX744. As expected with a Dobyns, balance is very good. Right at the reel nut. Both rods are paired with Curado 200 I reels spooled with 30lb braid & 14lb Gamma leaders. Knot used is a Crazy Alberto for the join & San Diego Jam for the hook. Bait was a 5" senko fished during slack tide when the reaction bite slowed. New HP rod is more sensitive. It also seems to have a faster action & fish a little more powerfully. The rod didn't load as well flinging the 5" weightless senko but IMO, that's okay. I think fishing more powerfully and not loading as well with the 5" senko are because of the slightly faster action.

So.....I'm thinking, based on action & sensitivity, higher modulus materials.......

Like I said, I've been very happy with my current sticks. After my experience fishing the new DX744, I ordered a DX743 & DX745 from TW that day. They got them to me quickly. All I've done with them so far is unwrap them. As mentioned above, they all look good - construction & QC. BTW, smaller diameter is really visually noticeable with the DX745.
Thanks for posting your early thoughts on the new line of extremes. I seem to recall reading several places that the "blank" was the exact same thing with only cosmetic changes. Apparently this doesn't seem to be the case. Even the look of the new extremes blanks seem different than the previous generation. Good to know that they seem improved in both feel and weight. I still may get one after all :D :D

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:12 am

Fishing4Fun wrote: I seem to recall reading several places that the "blank" was the exact same thing with only cosmetic changes. Apparently this doesn't seem to be the case. Even the look of the new extremes blanks seem different than the previous generation. Good to know that they seem improved in both feel and weight. I still may get one after all :D :D
The previous generation, had a face lift but no actual blank change.

On the newest (HP Extreme), I remember reading that the actions are the same. I might have missed it but I don't recall any talk on blank (material). The change in how they fish is similar/consistent to other brands that had the 'same blank design' but better materials. e.g. Gloomis, St Croix, etc I haven't talked to anyone @ Dobyns but I'd be willing to bet money & give odds that the blank is made of a higher modulus material.

Unfortunately, I don't have 'actual' knowledge of the blank material or whether the taper has been changed. I'm using my best guess.....which is why I said take what I said with a grain of salt. :D

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:51 am

Taken from another forum that Gary himself posts on:

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:01 am

iabass8 wrote:Taken from another forum that Gary himself posts on:

Ahhhh. Good info.
Last edited by civicrr on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks for the clarification guys! I only saw the post on UB my MC noting the only changes were cosmetic which ended up being a mistyping. I had a hard time believing this as it almost looks like a textured carbon weave pattern similar to what you would find on K2 or MB Orichi XX rod.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:39 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:Thanks for the clarification guys! I only saw the post on UB my MC noting the only changes were cosmetic which ended up being a mistyping. I had a hard time believing this as it almost looks like a textured carbon weave pattern similar to what you would find on K2 or MB Orichi XX rod.
We have several of them in stock at The Tackle Trap as well, and yes, they do have the textured weave part of the way up the blank similar to the Megabass XX rods. I haven't fished any of them yet, but a few of our die hard Dobyns guys have been offering up positive feedback on them.

Cisco
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cisco » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:20 pm

According to the video @ 1:04 (https://youtu.be/iDxYgcrML70) Mr Gary Dobyns states the blank is made of 46 ton Toray graphite composite.

That would put this blank on par with the Phenix K2, and from what I read the Orochi X4. This will be very interesting. I love the rod specs from Dobyns. I have been patiently waiting for the Zayta rods which seem to not want to come out. This will be the next best thing, while I continue to wait...

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:01 pm

civicrr wrote: I might have missed it but I don't recall any talk on blank (material)
:whistle:
389Maverick wrote:
Chode wrote:
fishingandfords wrote:So that means same price ??
sounds like it but i'd like to know what improvements r made
Fuji guides instead of Kigan, different graphite, up to 3/4oz lighter overall :-$ :-$
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... +dobyns+dx

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:35 pm

Just checked them out on Tackle Warehouse. Very very nice looking sticks. Those blanks are definitely from the same factory as the K2, Megabass X, etc blanks. I'm sure that Gary had to define his own personal specs so they aren't identical.

Anyone know wether the guides are stainless or titanium and what insert material is used? I suspect since it isn't specified probably stainless with Alconite inserts. I consider those style Ks my reference guides so no worries there.

This rod would look great with any of the black Daiwas with an orange SV spool I bet. A standard Met would match nicely as well.

DaveJ

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:35 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Just checked them out on Tackle Warehouse. Very very nice looking sticks. Those blanks are definitely from the same factory as the K2, Megabass X, etc blanks. I'm sure that Gary had to define his own personal specs so they aren't identical.

Anyone know wether the guides are stainless or titanium and what insert material is used? I suspect since it isn't specified probably stainless with Alconite inserts. I consider those style Ks my reference guides so no worries there.

This rod would look great with any of the black Daiwas with an orange SV spool I bet. A standard Met would match nicely as well.

DaveJ
the inserts are sic

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:36 pm

I know, old thread. Anyone have any updated impressions? Civicrr, how about you? Any more on the water reviews?

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:49 am

Got a HP DX703C on the way... I'll let y'all know how I like it when I get it. I've owned every generation of the Dobyns rods, so I'm anxious to get my hands on this new HP series and test her out Saturday in my first tournament of the year! 8-)

Justin

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:56 am

got the new DX742C HP over Black Friday. No time on the water /w it but they hit a homerun /w this one. Definitely in between their old DX 2 and 3 power rods. Really considering getting a second one.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:53 am

Rod looks amazing to me! Loving it so far. I'll have it on the water with me for the tournament tomorrow. I'll report back with how she does. Feels spot on in my practice casts in the yard though!

Justin

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:46 am

Good luck in the tournament Justin. Looking forward to see how the new stick performs.