Dobyns Extreme HP up on website

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dobyns Extreme HP up on website

Post by frogpond11 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Well, I got to test the HP 703 out today on the water and needless to say, I was really, really happy with it. It caught my two biggest fish in the tournament! First off, the rod feels very light and balanced in hand just like all my past Dobyns rods have, nothing changed there. Where I do notice a difference with the new HP series is in the backbone/power of the rod. It is definitely a slight change, but there nonetheless. And that's a good thing to me! I always wished the previous model 3 power Dobyns rods had just a liiiiiittle more umph to them on a hookset or just in general. Well, this one has just that! If the older model 3 power Dobyns rods are 3 powered, I'd call this a 3.25. Sensitivity was top notch to me. I can't find any negatives about it to be honest. It even helped me win my tournament today. I used it with a core50 to throw some small SBs in tight cover around trees and laydowns and it did fantastic. I caught a 3+ lber and a 4.51 lber too, which took home big bass in the tournament. I can't say enough about it. Highly recommend this one to anyone considering it!

Justin

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:47 pm

Those new hp's look nice. You had a tournament in january? Crap...

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:20 am

Congrats on the tournament. Thanks for the info on the HP.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:17 am

Makes me want one even more now. Anybody know the actual weight difference of the new vs old models?

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:29 am

frogpond11 wrote:Well, I got to test the HP 703 out today on the water and needless to say, I was really, really happy with it. It caught my two biggest fish in the tournament! First off, the rod feels very light and balanced in hand just like all my past Dobyns rods have, nothing changed there. Where I do notice a difference with the new HP series is in the backbone/power of the rod. It is definitely a slight change, but there nonetheless. And that's a good thing to me! I always wished the previous model 3 power Dobyns rods had just a liiiiiittle more umph to them on a hookset or just in general. Well, this one has just that! If the older model 3 power Dobyns rods are 3 powered, I'd call this a 3.25. Sensitivity was top notch to me. I can't find any negatives about it to be honest. It even helped me win my tournament today. I used it with a core50 to throw some small SBs in tight cover around trees and laydowns and it did fantastic. I caught a 3+ lber and a 4.51 lber too, which took home big bass in the tournament. I can't say enough about it. Highly recommend this one to anyone considering it!

Justin
Congrats on the tournament win and breaking in your new rod! How would you rate the feel/sensitivity of the new model vs the old rod line of extremes?

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:48 am

KP Duty wrote:Those new hp's look nice. You had a tournament in january? Crap...
Yea, down here in South Louisiana we have tournaments year round!

As far as sensitivity and feel Fishing4Fun... I have always felt like previous model Dobyns rods were plenty sensitive for me, but I do feel like the HP steps it up for sure. I can't say I've owned a ton of really high end rods, but it's definitely the most sensitive Dobyns I've used, and likely the most sensitive rod I've ever actually fished with. The feel is very much what I'm used to with past Dobyns rods except what I mentioned before about it having slightly more power, and the cork feels nicer to me as well.

Justin

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:19 am

Thanks for the feedback :D

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:07 am

Great reviews! I'm sold guess I need to try a new HP ,,!

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:43 pm

So without starting a new thread have a few questions. Now that I'm seeing fuji guides I'm assuming the complete Champion line will be called XP with fuji guides? Also looking for a versatile Dobyns for 1/2-3/4oz paddle tail rod mostly 4-5" /Scrounger head same size. I'm reading the new HP have a little more power which I'm assuming means a faster taper compared to previous Extremes. Most of my fishing is off shore humps or open water smallmouth so I don't want a tree trunk of a rod as I prefer my rods slightly softer than most. So should I be looking at 3 or 4 power and should I wait for the Champion XP line with fuji guides as these blanks might be more moderate compared to the HP models being the same. Thanks in advance.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:13 am

I prefer the action of the champion sticks. Honestly, I don't see the point in spending the extra money for moving bait presentations. Whether fishing a swimjig, paddletail or chatterbait, seems to me you want the fish to 'eat' the bait.

I use my champion 734 for swimjigs with 3/8oz head & kicker fish tail slapper. It will work with 1/2oz head & same tail but is starting to work hard. Anything heavier, I move to the 765. It would be the same for throwing paddle tail heads & tails.

Another option is to use a 765CB for the same baits. Just started playing around with this as an option looking to use one rod instead of both the 734 and 765.

Something on Dobyns website is pretty interesting. They are coming out with a champion 736CB Glass. It lists "chatterbaits/deep diving cranks" as it's techniques.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:13 am

Thanks for your reply. Just noticed the 736cb glass on their site. Looks like something I should seriously consider. Hopefully it will be available early spring not late spring.