Picking up Dobyns dx745c....uses?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Picking up Dobyns dx745c....uses?

Post by joeyblackwood » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:54 am

Getting this rod on direct recommendation from Richard Dobyns because my dx703 couldn't handle the swim jig fishin in Delta. Had two breaks after a big fish slammed it. Besides swimming jigs, what other uses do you guys recommend?

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Picking up Dobyns dx745c....uses?

Post by rockchalk06 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:21 am

How heavy of swim jigs?

I use mine now for Texas Rigs since I replaced it with an NRX894 for my 1/2 oz Jig work. It's by no means a dead stick, I just felt more contact with the NRX.

It has a nice low tip for braid and bottom contact baits. Mine feels a tad stiff for my 1/2oz swim jigs though.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:22 am

I used mine for 3/4 football jigs only. I've also replaced my 745 with the nrx 894 c. I would think the dx744 would be better suited for swim jigs in cover. I know sensitivity is not needed much for swim jigs, BUT I'd strongly recommend getting the nrx 894c rep sample from the tackle trap for $402 & free shipping. That's where I purchased mine

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:00 am

Jigs , frogs , Trigs

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:19 pm

fishingandfords wrote:Jigs , frogs , Trigs
Yep^. I feel it would be the perfect football jig Rod too. It would also work for close quarters grass punching and I'd think you could toss bigger glide baits on it too at specific targets. Don't let the "suggested uses" list corner your mind into thinking it's only good for those techniques. I've got 3 Dobyns and I find them all to be very comfortable and versatile rods.

The nice thing about a 7'4" length is it's long enough to use like a traditional flipping stick, yet the few inches shorter helps facilitate skipping jigs under docks. I think that Rod model is made in a full handle as well as a split grip. I far prefer full handle. Dobyns denotes their rods with an F/H in the model as "full handle".

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:17 pm

The 745 was my first DX. Since purchasing it I have thrown, jigs, T-rigs ( with and without a punch skirt) to 9/16 oz, larger buzzbaits and spinnerbaits, 3/4 OZ chatterbaits, Rago BVD's and S-Wavers and finally frogs with it. When you travel and can take only so many sticks, some rods have to multi-task. Does it have a sweet spot ? Heck yes, 1/2 jigs but the tip makes it a very versatile rod. When you put yours in your hand, you'll figure it for yourself in short order. BTW, my PB largemouth came on my 745DX throwing an S Waver. My Pb smallie came on the same rod throwing a 7 inch Rago.

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Just arrived and WOW it balances and looks nice with my steez with orange SV spool. The tip action and new reel seat screw reminds me of the older GLX's when they had wiebe reel seats. So when did they start calling them Champion Extreme "HP" ???

Does that just refer to the new real seat and rod bling or did I miss something new in the manufacturing?

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Hennessy wrote:I used mine for 3/4 football jigs only. I've also replaced my 745 with the nrx 894 c. I would think the dx744 would be better suited for swim jigs in cover. I know sensitivity is not needed much for swim jigs, BUT I'd strongly recommend getting the nrx 894c rep sample from the tackle trap for $402 & free shipping. That's where I purchased mine
I had a 744 and never fell in love with it. Not sure why, it just didn't give me the confidence to haul a fish out of a mess, granted I caught a 6 pounder on it in a clear water situation on a fatty 7 inch senko. I always wished it had just a tad more power to it. Not a ton. I now have a Dobyns 736 I'm using for frogs and toads and I'm hoping the 745 will give me confidence with jigs in the Delta mess. Do you guys fish it with straight braid? Floro? How do those small guides deal with a double nail knot?

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:01 pm

703 isn't enough stick for throwing swimjigs on the Delta. If you're throwing light (in) weight finesse jigs in clear water, the 3 power sticks would work great. On the Delta, I don't bother to throw anything less than 3/8oz jig with a 3X hook. Anything less, and you're going to get your heart broke. I use a Champion 734 with straight braid to throw 3/8oz Dirty Jigs Coosa River style with a Kicker Fish trailer. Anything bigger, I'll move up to a Champion 765 or DX745.

The 3 power stick(s) make a great 5" weightless senko stick. Also works well for flukes.

DX745 is 'the' jig stick in my hands. Typically I use 3/8oz - 5/8oz jigs with 3X hooks. Trailer is craw or creature bait (chigger craw, sweet beaver, etc). It can fish bigger and/or heavier baits but I usually move to the DX795 (for bottom contact work) or ML795 for swimbaits.

On the Delta, I used to use braid with a fluoro leader using the Alberto knot. No issues with the knot but I'm usually pitching. This season, I have one spooled with straight braid and one with 20lb Gamma Edge. On the Delta, no issues with fish being line shy.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:02 pm

703 isn't enough stick for throwing swimjigs on the Delta. If you're throwing light (in) weight finesse jigs in clear water, the 3 power sticks would work great. On the Delta, I don't bother to throw anything less than 3/8oz jig with a 3X hook. Anything less, and you're going to get your heart broke. I use a Champion 734 with straight braid to throw 3/8oz Dirty Jigs Coosa River style with a Kicker Fish trailer. Anything bigger, I'll move up to a Champion 765 or DX745.

The 3 power stick(s) make a great 5" weightless senko stick. Also works well for flukes.

DX745 is 'the' jig stick in my hands. Typically I use 3/8oz - 5/8oz jigs with 3X hooks. Trailer is craw or creature bait (chigger craw, sweet beaver, etc). It can fish bigger and/or heavier baits but I usually move to the DX795 (for bottom contact work) or ML795 for swimbaits.

On the Delta, I used to use braid with a fluoro leader using the Alberto knot. No issues with the knot but I'm usually pitching. This season, I have one spooled with straight braid and one with 20lb Gamma Edge. On the Delta, no issues with fish being line shy.

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:30 pm

joeyblackwood wrote:Just arrived and WOW it balances and looks nice with my steez with orange SV spool. The tip action and new reel seat screw reminds me of the older GLX's when they had wiebe reel seats. So when did they start calling them Champion Extreme "HP" ???

Does that just refer to the new real seat and rod bling or did I miss something new in the manufacturing?
For the new Gen 3, DX HP series, Dobyns is using Fuji guides and a different carbon material for the blank (I believe). The cork grips are absolutely, high quality cork - very, very smooth with no filler. . .at least in the four DX HP rods that I have. The rods are also lighter by about approximately 3/4 ounce, and balance a tad better than the Gen 2 DX models.

civicrr wrote:703 isn't enough stick for throwing swimjigs on the Delta. If you're throwing light (in) weight finesse jigs in clear water, the 3 power sticks would work great. On the Delta, I don't bother to throw anything less than 3/8oz jig with a 3X hook. Anything less, and you're going to get your heart broke. I use a Champion 734 with straight braid to throw 3/8oz Dirty Jigs Coosa River style with a Kicker Fish trailer. Anything bigger, I'll move up to a Champion 765 or DX745.

civicrr gives some valuable information here !!

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:31 pm

joeyblackwood wrote:Just arrived and WOW it balances and looks nice with my steez with orange SV spool....
I heard rumor they redesigned the DX. Can you post pictures of yours?

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:43 pm

I really like my DX745C SH for jigs and t-rigs. I've comfortably gone as light as an unweighted double-wide beaver on superline EWG hook, or 1/4oz weight plus a paca craw. I've gone as heavy as 1.25oz punch rig with a double wide beaver... although this wasn't the sweet spot by any means.
It did, however, result in my PB 6.44lb largie in HEAVY grass - a giant around these parts. That was on a 3/4oz punch rig w/ skirt and double-wide beaver. :)
Sweet rod for bottom contact. I wouldn't use mine for swim jigs - I'd go to a 4-power or maybe a 13 Fishing MH rated rod for that (from my arsenal).

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:02 am

joeyblackwood wrote:Just arrived and WOW it balances and looks nice with my steez with orange SV spool. The tip action and new reel seat screw reminds me of the older GLX's when they had wiebe reel seats. So when did they start calling them Champion Extreme "HP" ???

the New HP is just that NEW....
They just came out in certain models for now...
Ive got 3 of the DX745s and use them for JIGS....1/2-1oz
Ive also used them for throwing Bigger 10-12" worms as well...

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:23 am

I could never imagine needing more than a DX 744 for anything 1/2 oz or smaller.