NRX- Steez question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

NRX- Steez question

Post by TOPWATER » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:23 am

Can someone compare the nrx 822s ds - nrx 852s-and the 701mlfsa ags. If I have a spinning rod in my hand I am usually drop shotting. I do have a stz701mlfsa, but its not the ags and I don't know the difference between the 2 never handling the ags. I have a few nrx casting rods but no spinning. I usually drop shot with a 610m cumulus, the steez, or a medium cumara shaky head. Great lakes and Detroit River smallmouth. I will use anything from an 1/8 to 3/8 and sometimes 1/2.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NRX- Steez question

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:23 pm

TOPWATER wrote:Can someone compare the nrx 822s ds - nrx 852s-and the 701mlfsa ags. If I have a spinning rod in my hand I am usually drop shotting. I do have a stz701mlfsa, but its not the ags and I don't know the difference between the 2 never handling the ags. I have a few nrx casting rods but no spinning. I usually drop shot with a 610m cumulus, the steez, or a medium cumara shaky head. Great lakes and Detroit River smallmouth. I will use anything from an 1/8 to 3/8 and sometimes 1/2.
I own or owned all 3 and one to get for great lakes is the 852S. The nrx is the most sensitive and has the best backbone to fight the large footbals. I sold my 852S to get the ML AGS and just sold the ML AGS back to get another 852S. :laugh1: :laugh1:

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:25 pm

Between the 2 NRX rods, what rod has more power, softer tip, does one balance better than the other, any difference in sensitivity? I am not trying to horse fish up from the bottom and get them in the boat like a tournament fisherman. I'm just looking for another comfortable stick to have fun with. The cumulus might not have a bunch of backbone, although it is stronger than you think, fish stay pegged, and that is important to me.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:34 am

Pretty please......

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:18 am

The 822 DSR is considerably softer than the 852s JWR. The 822 SYR is in between. If the SYR is a true medium, the 852 is a medium+ and the DSR fishes like a medium light...If you know that Cumulus line, the DSR probably fishes more like the 6'10'ML...For me, and I have all 3, the 822 DSR is basically a drop shot only rod..I don't like its power at all for any "hook-setting" applications..I don't notice much in the way of balance differences with spinning rods...the rods mentioned all balance at the front cork with an 8oz. Stella on them...sensitivity is incredible with all...

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:51 am

steve1206 wrote:The 822 DSR is considerably softer than the 852s JWR. The 822 SYR is in between. If the SYR is a true medium, the 852 is a medium+ and the DSR fishes like a medium light...If you know that Cumulus line, the DSR probably fishes more like the 6'10'ML...For me, and I have all 3, the 822 DSR is basically a drop shot only rod..I don't like its power at all for any "hook-setting" applications..I don't notice much in the way of balance differences with spinning rods...the rods mentioned all balance at the front cork with an 8oz. Stella on them...sensitivity is incredible with all...
Thank you, so then does the 852s fish a little more powerful than the cumulus 610m since it has an xf action? Or is it just that, a faster tip. I have the nrx 853c, 893c,and 894c as well.

I'm guessing that the dsr is a better drop shot rod, but the 852s can be used as a drop shot rod and is and is more versatile.

At the moment for spinning I have the ml steez that to me fishes more like a medium.
I have a 610 ml expride that I never got around to putting a reel on but it feels more like a medium to me.
I have 2 medium cumara shaky head ,red model, and I think it fishes like the 610m cumulus. Just maybe doesn't balance as well and not as crisp.talking about power.
I have the 610m cumulus
I have the 6'5m cumulus
I have a 7'2"mh cumara

So which rod do I get next, 822s or 852s? If I am just going to drop shot , would the 822s be the more enjoyable , I get that any other style requires the nrx852s.

Thanks, Eric...