BFS St.Croix style with the Legend Inshore (mini review)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

BFS St.Croix style with the Legend Inshore (mini review)

Post by ss30378 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Today was a good day as the fedex guy dropped off the big 8 foot rod tube at my door. Inside was the legend inshore 6'6" extra light moderate rod. I'm not the best at rod reviews but ill give a brief overview since few have written about this rod.

The rod is rated for 6-10lb line and 1/32-1/8oz and with my initial testing id say that its probably a little low on both ends.

Paired with the aldebaran 50hg the total weight for the combo was 7.8oz

Initial impressions:

A very clean simple build, cork was nice, guide alignment was straight, epoxy was how it should be. In other words a typical st croix. The rod weighs 3.1oz and with the aldebaran the balance point was right on the threads in front of the lock nut. Guides were full size titanium framed units and as a note all were single footed. It is a true moderate taper with the blank flexing in between 1/3 and 1/2 way down but the tip was very quick and responsive and was in no way noodle.

Fishing experience:

I only had about an hour to toy with it today before life got in the way but I got to a few different lures setups. The reel setup was stock aldebaran 50hg (untouched) with 10lb red label fluoro.

Casting:

The rod is a moderate taper but the tip was fast enough to run light jig setups. I ran both a 4.5g valleyhill finesse jig (no trailer) and a 1/16oz bullet weight with a 2 inch craw on a size 1 hook. The rod handled them nicely and the tip loaded well for both distance and hard casts and accuracy in short pitches.

On the extreme ends of weight, I went to my go to 1/16oz rooster tail and even though 10lb fluoro isn't the best for tiny baits i was getting casts of 50-60 feet on a dead calm day. This was further than I was expecting and is a testament to both the rod and reel. I didn't test any lower but judging by how it loaded at 1/16 id say 1/32 may be pushing it but I can't knock it till I try it. Top end I went up to a 1/4oz crankbait and this weight while doable, was pushing the rod a bit so I can say 3/16 is a happy top end for the rod.

Sensitivity:

YEP,very! I was fishing the local pond which has a bottom blanketed in thick leaves and I could literally feel the pattern of the leaves on the bottom with the t-rigged mini craw. I caught 4 tiny fish consisting of a 10 inch bass, an 8 inch crappie, a 4 inch green sunfish and a 2 inch brim, and i believe I could feel the fish thinking of biting before they did. Even the little brim felt like he smashed it lol. I have an avid ultralight spinning rod and while its sensitive this rod trumps it in spades. Spinner baits and crankbaits were easily decernable in their action and it was easy to feel if a piece of grass grabbed them.

Ergonomics:

I wasn't sure how the fuji sk2 seat would agree with me but with the reel in place it felt good and fit the aldebaran nicely with how I palm my reels. The 3.1oz rod and 4.7oz reel were an absolute joy to fish for the hour I got to do it. The cork was nice and felt good and the blue was pretty but id prefer a more subtle color ideally.

Overall:

Since these are on sale for $150 shipped I think they are an amazing value and a great bfs rod. I was told by another poster here that the rod was too slow for him but in my testing, as long as you stay in the rods happy weight zone, it can be a very capable bfs rig. The fish I caught were small but the hooksets flung all of them out of the water and sailing towards me so there is much more power in this rod compared to a true ultra light spinning outfit. I'll continue to test the rod and ill get to test some lower weights later this week when my ktf spool gets here.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS St.Croix style with the Legend Inshore (mini review)

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:11 pm

Nice review =D> I have a couple of BFS rods rated down to 1/32 and it seems to be a stretch for that even with super BFS reels. Sounds like you got a heck of a deal for it.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:22 pm

Nice combo, that rod sounds pretty fun.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:25 am

Just order a BFS rod going to be a lot of fun. Looks like you got a great deal. Wish I had seen this first.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:56 am

Got it directly from St. Croix's web site in the bargain room. They had both light and extra light models.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Great review. I've been to their facility. If you ever get a chance to tour/fish NW Wisconsin, it's worth the stop. Plus the St Croix river is a few miles north. Walls of rods. Great staff. Prior to the visitation, I might recommend putting a limit on the credit card or do it the TT way and arrive in a truck. (humor).

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:49 am

So for flinging say a 1/4 oz Shallow Shad Rap, would you move up to Light or Medium Light? I'm looking at that 7' MLM and I've got a wee Conquest that needs a suitable home. SCIV for $150 is really hard to say no to.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:48 am

Probably the ml for a little more versatility, 1/4oz would be right in the middle of the sweet spot for the ml when it would be probably top end for the light. Id save the xl and light models for bfs specific fishing.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:45 am

Right on. 7' MLM on the way. Thanks for the heads up on these rods! :D

slideaction
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slideaction » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:30 am

Went ahead and picked up a xlm 66. Can't wait to try it

spiderguy4978
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spiderguy4978 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:46 am

I'm debating between the xlm and LM, I'll be throwing small hardbaits around 1/8oz and maybe some exposed hook small soft plastics on 1/16oz heads so maybe 1/8oz total weight. Which rod would be better? Reel will either be a Revo LT or a alderbaren bfs xg limited with 6 or 8 pound mono. I'm leaning towards the just regular light as 1/8oz should be in the middle of it's range.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:39 am

spiderguy4978 wrote:I'm debating between the xlm and LM, I'll be throwing small hardbaits around 1/8oz and maybe some exposed hook small soft plastics on 1/16oz heads so maybe 1/8oz total weight. Which rod would be better? Reel will either be a Revo LT or a alderbaren bfs xg limited with 6 or 8 pound mono. I'm leaning towards the just regular light as 1/8oz should be in the middle of it's range.
I got the light and it can cast 1/8oz hardbaits just fine. It it not whippy either but has a good, deep bend through the top 1/3 of the rod.

spiderguy4978
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spiderguy4978 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:57 am

That sounds perfect, thank you.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Does anyone know what he difference is in the "/13" series for $135 vs the other for $150? Is it just the product year I would imagine? Thanks for any insight.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:42 am

kstephes033 wrote:Does anyone know what he difference is in the "/13" series for $135 vs the other for $150? Is it just the product year I would imagine? Thanks for any insight.
I called St Croix and they said no difference.