Best Frog rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best Frog rod

Post by jpmoney » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:51 am

Jdmbassman wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. I really do enjoy learning about how to fish these different techniques so keep it coming.

Would the TKLC 71MHX Super Stallion make a good Frog rod ?
I haven't tried the Evergreen Super stallion but seeing that it is a heavy powered rod it should do a very fine job with frogs in any kind of cover situation. Another solid contender you could use for frogs is the MB C40 Evoluzion mephisto F6.5-72Ti. I have fished that rod a LOT this year and it does in fact work well with frogs in heavy cover. I just choose to use my XX perfect pitch for frog duty.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:56 am

The Super Stallion and the XBD frog rod measure very similarly (see the X4 destruction review lab results here: http://tackletour.com/reviewmbx4destructionpg2.html).

And again from the F7-71x7 review here: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmegabassf771x7pg2.html

For heavy cover my main goals are (in order) power to spare, casting for adequate distance (forgoing some accuracy), and enough tip to work the frog.

For open water, you really just need a rod with enough backbone to get a positive hook set.

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:49 am

Daiwa Steez XBD (STZ741XHFBA-XBD) Frog Rod is a better bet IMO It is lighter and longer for better long hook sets. I have put mine through the ringer and it always shows up.

mundo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mundo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:57 am

I really like my f6-71X4 Matt Bucker Frog rod, it is somewhat shorter and allows for very precise casts and loads very well except with the smallest frogs.

Mundo

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:34 am

"The Daiwa Steez XBD (STZ741XHFBA-XBD) Frog Rod based on a review by Tackle Tour in 2010 got high marks."

I have no personal experience with it, but I know the Steez frog rod seems to be very well liked by a lot of people and is probably the most well liked of all the Steez rods.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:02 am

Hey Matthew, Think about the nrx 895. I picked one up last summer primarily for frogs and heavy jigs. It's paired with an ip79 (Dr. Ian performed his magic). The combo is light enough to fish hard, yet easy on the wrists. I've had good success in Wis. lakes froggin' with it. You can really cover some pads, accurate and a great hook set. I've had no trouble pulling fish out of the slop..... and a couple of big pike which I was very fortunate didn't cut my line. I don't know what the best would be, but the nrx line is pretty sweet. Also, for me the rod doubles as a heavy jig rod. Very sensitive on bottom contact, even when dragging an ounce plus chunk of lead. Which ever way you go, I'm pretty sure the fishing industry applauds your efforts in their economic recovery.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:45 am

665 almostevil wrote:I throw the frog a ton and have made some good money on it this year. Call me crazy but i use three different fog set ups. First is my long distance casting rod for medium to light cover IROD freds magic stick. This rod has a great tip and plenty of backbone and for the money is a great rod.For a rod that i am going to throw the majority of the day I go with the steez frog rod because of how light it is. Has plenty of backbone to muscle fish out of slop. This is also my go to dock skipping frog rod. Last but not least I use a IROD stone cold swim jig rod to throw small frogs like the spro baby and jr.The tip is soft enough for you to work the smaller frogs very well and the moderate bend helps keep them on the line with smaller hooks. I went one whole year with out loosing a fish on this setup(lucky i guess).
x2 on IROD Fred's Magic Stick

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:30 am

You could always give the Compile X a shot

Advantages: super natural powers over nature, miraculous automatic sponsorships

Disadvantages: didn;t include a free window sticker

" I was, initially, skeptical of the $600 price tag on this rod but decided to go ahead with my online order. BassPro.com shipping was as fast and free as a girl I once knew in Longview, Texas (but that’s another story). Upon receiving the Daiwa Steez Compile-X Bass Trigger Rod in the mail I could immediately tell that my life was about to be drastically different. My first natural thought was to attach my recently acquired Daiwa Steez EX Baitcast Reel. Before I even had the chance to do so, I heard a voice. A voice as real as any voice I have ever heard in my life… only with a touch of reverb on it... saying; “Use The Force, Dave. Use The Force…”. It was the unmistakable voice of bass fishing pioneer and tournament-fishing legend, Ricky Green. I laid the reel to my side and put the bare rod into my plain black Humvee for a drive down to the water’s edge.As I arrived at the marina I noticed that people were staring at my truck. It’s a slick truck, but; staring? I got out and went around to the back hatch to retrieve the Steez when I noticed what was generating all the looks. I can’t explain what happened but it did. Somehow, between the time I put the rod in the truck and when I pulled into the marina, my Humvee had become completely tricked out with sponsor logos! All over! The sport’s greatest names were, somehow, magically plastered all over this beautiful beast of a ride. Nitro, Strike-King, Yeti, Tuf-Line, Power-Pole, Bass Pro Shops, Coors Light, Dorito’s; they were all there… most of all, Diawa. I was shocked but played it off like I was a pro. With my Diawa Steez Compile-X’s AirFoam split grips securely in hand, I walked with the confidence of Kevin VanDam toward the docks. A nearby pick-up truck stereo was loudly playing Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker” and I strolled in time with the music as the ladies were obviously taking notice of me and the cut-proof, corrosion-free Fuji titanium-frame SiC guides gleaming in the summer sun.The moment was shattered by cries for help from 3 docks down. Someone was drowning! I raced to the boat ramp just beside the pier and saw the weak splashing of a swimmer begin to subside. It was at that moment the Daiwa Steez Compile-X Bass Trigger Rod began to vibrate slightly in my hand and emanate what I can only call a low, near sub-audible, hum. Suddenly and uncontrollably, my arm flashed forward as the 8 foot rod cracked the sky with the thunderous sound of a bull whip outstretched over the choppy whitecaps toward the doomed swimmer. The water began to bubble with activity. In seconds, there was a huge school of bass. All of them were 8 pounds or bigger. They seemed to form up and create a life raft of fish in a coordinated and sentient effort. With their collective power, they lifted the swimmer’s head and body above the water line and carried her directly to my feet at the bottom of the ramp. She coughed up a bit of lake water and looked into my eyes.“Thank you, fishmaster.” She gulped…“Thank you and God bless you and your Daiwa Steez Compile-X Bass Trigger Rod. You and those award worthy bass have saved my life.”I nonchalantly winked and nodded as I turned to walk away. Headed back to my, now, fully sponsored Humvee I noticed that something was new and different. Behind it was a brand new 2015 NITRO Z-9 boat with 225 L OptiMax Pro XS and trailer!! Everyone cheered for me as I approached the rig in disbelief. While my new rod and I were saving a life, it had simply appeared out of nowhere! Sponsor logos in place, of course.All in all, I will give the Daiwa Steez Compile-X Bass Trigger Rod a positive review but will reserve final judgment for when I have fitted it with the Daiwa Steez EX Baitcast Reel. Although, that may never actually be necessary. "

Sounds like the rod you need for frogging

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:44 am

ccass wrote:You could always give the Compile X a shot

" I was, initially, skeptical of the $600 price tag on this rod but decided to go ahead with my online order. BassPro.com shipping was as fast and free as a girl I once knew in Longview, Texas (but that’s another story). Upon receiving the Daiwa Steez Compile-X Bass Trigger Rod in the mail I could immediately tell that my life was about to be drastically different. My first natural thought was to attach my recently acquired Daiwa Steez EX Baitcast Reel. Before I even had the chance to do so, I heard a voice. A voice as real as any voice I have ever heard in my life… only with a touch of reverb on it... saying; “Use The Force, Dave. Use The Force…”. It was the unmistakable voice of bass fishing pioneer and tournament-fishing legend, Ricky Green. I laid the reel to my side and put the bare rod into my plain black Humvee for a drive down to the water’s edge.As I arrived at the marina I noticed that people were staring at my truck. It’s a slick truck, but; staring? I got out and went around to the back hatch to retrieve the Steez when I noticed what was generating all the looks. I can’t explain what happened but it did. Somehow, between the time I put the rod in the truck and when I pulled into the marina, my Humvee had become completely tricked out with sponsor logos! All over! The sport’s greatest names were, somehow, magically plastered all over this beautiful beast of a ride. Nitro, Strike-King, Yeti, Tuf-Line, Power-Pole, Bass Pro Shops, Coors Light, Dorito’s; they were all there… most of all, Diawa. I was shocked but played it off like I was a pro. With my Diawa Steez Compile-X’s AirFoam split grips securely in hand, I walked with the confidence of Kevin VanDam toward the docks. A nearby pick-up truck stereo was loudly playing Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker” and I strolled in time with the music as the ladies were obviously taking notice of me and the cut-proof, corrosion-free Fuji titanium-frame SiC guides gleaming in the summer sun.The moment was shattered by cries for help from 3 docks down. Someone was drowning! I raced to the boat ramp just beside the pier and saw the weak splashing of a swimmer begin to subside. It was at that moment the Daiwa Steez Compile-X Bass Trigger Rod began to vibrate slightly in my hand and emanate what I can only call a low, near sub-audible, hum. Suddenly and uncontrollably, my arm flashed forward as the 8 foot rod cracked the sky with the thunderous sound of a bull whip outstretched over the choppy whitecaps toward the doomed swimmer. The water began to bubble with activity. In seconds, there was a huge school of bass. All of them were 8 pounds or bigger. They seemed to form up and create a life raft of fish in a coordinated and sentient effort. With their collective power, they lifted the swimmer’s head and body above the water line and carried her directly to my feet at the bottom of the ramp. She coughed up a bit of lake water and looked into my eyes.“Thank you, fishmaster.” She gulped…“Thank you and God bless you and your Daiwa Steez Compile-X Bass Trigger Rod. You and those award worthy bass have saved my life.”I nonchalantly winked and nodded as I turned to walk away. Headed back to my, now, fully sponsored Humvee I noticed that something was new and different. Behind it was a brand new 2015 NITRO Z-9 boat with 225 L OptiMax Pro XS and trailer!! Everyone cheered for me as I approached the rig in disbelief. While my new rod and I were saving a life, it had simply appeared out of nowhere! Sponsor logos in place, of course.All in all, I will give the Daiwa Steez Compile-X Bass Trigger Rod a positive review but will reserve final judgment for when I have fitted it with the Daiwa Steez EX Baitcast Reel. Although, that may never actually be necessary. "

Ccass this is a most extraordinary account of the power that is harnessed within only few rods that grace mankind; as is your incredible post of which should go down in the TT archives so it can be re read and relived by fellow TT anglers for years to come. Bravo. Bravo. =D>

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:26 am

Demoman wrote:
ccass wrote:You could always give the Compile X a shot

Ccass this is a most extraordinary account of the power that is harnessed within only few rods that grace mankind; as is your incredible post of which should go down in the TT archives so it can be re read and relived by fellow TT anglers for years to come. Bravo. Bravo. =D>
That's originally a product review from the BPS website I believe...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:54 pm

It is. I posted that to the forum a while back.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:38 am

mundo wrote:I really like my f6-71X4 Matt Bucker Frog rod, it is somewhat shorter and allows for very precise casts and loads very well except with the smallest frogs.

Mundo
X2, wasn't sure about it's tapper when I first held it in store, but does it ever perform on the water!

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:35 am

Daiwa Tatula 7'2" H, this rod is light and very well balanced, and also packs a very nice punch on a hookset. It has plenty of power. That rod and a Dobyns 735 are the two I use for frogs and love them both, but if I had to choose just one, it'd be the Tatula.

TAT721HFB H F 7'2" 12 - 25 3/8 - 1.5

http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=680

Justin

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:21 am

BucketHunter wrote: That's originally a product review from the BPS website I believe...
It is .... Fourth reviewer on the page.

http://www.basspro.com/Daiwa-Steez-Comp ... /10210632/

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:31 am

Nobody was doubting it came from BPS. I copy and pasted the review back in March to TT. It was intended to be a joke, no need for the plagiarism police to come out.

As far as a frog rod goes, the Tatula is great. I owned 4 Tatulas. Light and powerful.