Three rods to do it all? Which brand?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Three rods to do it all? Which brand?

Post by ibobpeb » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:36 am

These 3 rod would cover 95% of your fishing needs.

1 - 6'6" to 7' Medium (or Medium Light) Power Fast Action Spinning Rod
1 - 6'6" to 7' Medium Heavy Fast Action Casting Rod
1 - 6'6" to 7' Medium Heavy Moderate Action Casting Rod

Pick any brand, they all work. Length is personal preference.

I catch 25-30 pound Salmon in the Great Lakes using 7' Medium Light spinning rod, 10 lbs mono. Fun as hell.

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:16 am

Teal101 wrote:
masterbass wrote:I'd go with megabass xx:

flatside special
emtf
perfect pitch
Yup, hard to beat!
These guys are right. I own or have owned all 3 of these and the will cover essentially all bass fishing techniques done with baitcasting gear. From the shore, I honestly don't use spinning gear.

poopformayor
Angler
Angler

Post by poopformayor » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:56 am

Megabass:
SRD
Nautilis
DFM

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:41 pm

Found out that we are all wasting money...

Postby joeyblackwood » Tue May 26, 2015 11:26 pm
On all these overpriced lures. I was fishing the other day near some bluegill beds with small bluegill colored jig when one of those aggressive little bed queens slammed me right as a two pound bass was stalking my jig. I was so frustrated I didn't even try to reel it in with the hopes it would come off and the jig would stay in the strike zone. Well, none of that happened and what happened next has me ready to sell off all my overpriced luckycraft and megabass lures and swimbaits. An eight pounder came in out of nowhere and inhaled the bluegill, I was so shocked I just froze for a few seconds until I snapped out of it and swung hard. Luckily I was using braid because that big girl fought hard. I was so shocked even when I pulled her out of the water and held her up for a photo. Its my PB by a good two pounds and this was caught in some waters that I was convinced had no fish bigger than three pounds due to the fishing pressure and the 'freezer fillers' that keep every single thing they catch. After reading about how the current world record was caught with a bluegill (I don't acknowledge George Perry's fish as credible as it wasn't examined properly and to put it frankly I believe its total BS as Georgia fish don't get that big and never have) , I see no reason to use anything else besides bluegill as bait especially since every big fish I've ever encountered doesn't pay any attention to lures. For the longest time I've been against using live bait for anything but after this it just seems futile to use anything else. I've caught hundreds of six pound and under fish and anytime I've encountered something bigger it ignores any lure I toss its way. At this point in my life after catching all those other fish and blowing my paychecks on overpriced lures and top of the line rods and reels, I'm just seeing it all as pointless waste of money, especially when the entire point to the sport is size of the fish in the photos. Nobody cares what you caught it on unless its a world record and you are looking for endorsement deals. I just can't see any other alternative than to become a nasty, stinky live bait fisherman that dominates in the size per fish department.

So you back to wasting money again? :lol:

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:07 am

X4 Black Elseil
DX743 C
Megabass Nautils

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:40 am

Bassmar wrote:Found out that we are all wasting money...

Postby joeyblackwood » Tue May 26, 2015 11:26 pm
On all these overpriced lures. I was fishing the other day near some bluegill beds with small bluegill colored jig when one of those aggressive little bed queens slammed me right as a two pound bass was stalking my jig. I was so frustrated I didn't even try to reel it in with the hopes it would come off and the jig would stay in the strike zone. Well, none of that happened and what happened next has me ready to sell off all my overpriced luckycraft and megabass lures and swimbaits. An eight pounder came in out of nowhere and inhaled the bluegill, I was so shocked I just froze for a few seconds until I snapped out of it and swung hard. Luckily I was using braid because that big girl fought hard. I was so shocked even when I pulled her out of the water and held her up for a photo. Its my PB by a good two pounds and this was caught in some waters that I was convinced had no fish bigger than three pounds due to the fishing pressure and the 'freezer fillers' that keep every single thing they catch. After reading about how the current world record was caught with a bluegill (I don't acknowledge George Perry's fish as credible as it wasn't examined properly and to put it frankly I believe its total BS as Georgia fish don't get that big and never have) , I see no reason to use anything else besides bluegill as bait especially since every big fish I've ever encountered doesn't pay any attention to lures. For the longest time I've been against using live bait for anything but after this it just seems futile to use anything else. I've caught hundreds of six pound and under fish and anytime I've encountered something bigger it ignores any lure I toss its way. At this point in my life after catching all those other fish and blowing my paychecks on overpriced lures and top of the line rods and reels, I'm just seeing it all as pointless waste of money, especially when the entire point to the sport is size of the fish in the photos. Nobody cares what you caught it on unless its a world record and you are looking for endorsement deals. I just can't see any other alternative than to become a nasty, stinky live bait fisherman that dominates in the size per fish department.

So you back to wasting money again? :lol:
That's some funny stuff right there.

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxpowers » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:44 am

Honestly if you have 3 casting rods

Ultima 66M
Ultima 70MH
Ultima 72H

You can do everything you could want with those. If I had to swap one out for a spinning rod, the Megabass Simoom is a great choice, or the Orochi Jade Python

mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mdesouza » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:46 am

If I were to only have 3 rods to all my fishing i'd have to go with all St. Croix Legend Elites.

7 foot medium power, fast action casting
7 foot medium heavy power, fast action casting
and a 6 foot 8 inch medium power, extra fast action spinning rod.

The 7 foot casting rods are some of the best multi purpose rods you can buy in my opinion.

Mike D