St. Croix Legend Elite 6'10"MLXF spinning

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

St. Croix Legend Elite 6'10"MLXF spinning

Post by bigfruits » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:50 am

I have been sitting on a broken Avid rod for a few years and will probably trade it in for a Legend Elite soon.

The St. Croix LTB 6'10" ML/XF is described as a "dropshot/finesse" rod. Can I assume that the Legend Elite version will have a similar action and soft tip? There is no description of the rod on the website.

If anyone has fished with the ES610MLXF, can you tell me what techniques it excels at?

Thanks!
-Z

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: St. Croix Legend Elite 6'10"MLXF spinning

Post by saoulons » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:37 am

My experience with the LTB series is that it is much stiffer than what one would expect. I do own the LTB610MLXF and I would couch it more as M / MH. A big part of it is the XF tip. It is much too stiff for me to drop shot with. I use it for light t-rigged soft plastics where you need a good whack to set the hook.

I do have a Legend Elite ML Fast (6'6") and is is MUCH softer than the LTB.

For your info, I have used the Legend XTreme 610MLXF spinning for drop shotting and it is killer. My guess is that the Legend Elite will be similar. Like all rods that are good DS rods, you can also use it for weightless soft plastics, split shotting, light topwater and other finesse techniques.

The Legend Elite series (and XTreme) are awesome lines. I am convinced that you will not be disappointed.

I know that I didn't answer your question directly =D> but I hope this helps.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:07 am

saoulons wrote:
no, i think you did. i would think the xtreme blank is the same as the elite. thanks!

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:56 pm

The Legend Tournament Bass definitely has a softer blank than the Legend Elite. A better option would probably upgrade to the LTB TBC610MLXF Drop Shot/Finesse.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:07 pm

I have the Legend Xtreme in the 610MLXF and was planning on using for drop shots, i have found it fishes with more power than its listing, so i have moved that to a jigworm/shakey rod. I am in Minnesota so I am not fishing super deep, usually 25ft at the deepest so usually i am using a 1/4oz weight, not much need to go bigger for me, so that may play a roll in how i felt about the Xtreme. Now I did pick up a rage when st croix was clearing them out in the same 610MLXF model and honestly that has been the most perfect DS rod i have found to date. If i remember correctly that is the same graphite as the avid series with lesser components. Hope that helps.

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:57 pm

bigfruits wrote:
saoulons wrote:
no, i think you did. i would think the xtreme blank is the same as the elite. thanks!
Correct.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:37 am

thanks guys.

maybe different versions of the legend 610mlxf have different blanks? not sure how else to explain the conflicting reviews!

Has anyone fished the 2016 version?

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:33 am

bigfruits wrote:thanks guys.

maybe different versions of the legend 610mlxf have different blanks? not sure how else to explain the conflicting reviews!

Has anyone fished the 2016 version?
All of the Elites and Xtremes of the same generation should be the same blanks. Harware and color should be the only differences.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:11 am

Im sorry, I meant that maybe the 2014 legend elite/xtreme is different from the 2016 elite/xtreme etc. that might explain why some people say its a softer tip than the LTB and others say the opposite.

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:08 am

bigfruits wrote:Im sorry, I meant that maybe the 2014 legend elite/xtreme is different from the 2016 elite/xtreme etc. that might explain why some people say its a softer tip than the LTB and others say the opposite.
I see.
That I can not help you with. Sorry.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:40 am

It very well could be just how we differ in the presentation itself. Like i said in my post that i use 1/4 or less weight. Others i know very often use 3/8+ oz for weight, so that alone will make a difference in an opinion on the same rod. I personally like a lighter rod for the technique, which is why i like the St Croix Rage better for how I fish a dropshot. The blank on that is a lesser quality graphite and generally speaking two rods with same specs tend to be stiffer or maybe a better word is crisper giving the feel of being a more stout rod vs the lesser graphite. So again my Legend Xtreme i find a bit on the stiff side for how i fish my dropshot. I dont think there is any difference in the blanks themselves for the same series, as said just components.

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:45 am

I have the 2016 model you are asking about I have only had a little time fishing it but it has a pretty soft tip. I would say it's on the medium side of medium light but not a full medium if that makes any sense. It's going to make a great drop shot rod

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:30 am

thanks again guys. i have a few NRX spinning rods so I am looking for something very soft to stand out from the others for light DS but I cannot justify buying the 822 DSR as I do not dropshot very often. Im hoping to find something similar in the Legend Elite line so I can trade a broken rod for it. I might just get a ML/F. If the tip isnt ideal for 1/8oz DS, I can still use it for creek and smallmouth fishing.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:28 am

bigfruits wrote:thanks again guys. i have a few NRX spinning rods so I am looking for something very soft to stand out from the others for light DS but I cannot justify buying the 822 DSR as I do not dropshot very often. Im hoping to find something similar in the Legend Elite line so I can trade a broken rod for it. I might just get a ML/F. If the tip isnt ideal for 1/8oz DS, I can still use it for creek and smallmouth fishing.
I received my LES610MLXF when they first became available. I love this rod very much doubles nicely for dropshot/finesse jigs. I have boated many smallies in the 4-5lb class and can only remember a few that might have come unbuttoned. To be serious I like it more for 1/8-3/16oz ball heads matched with either a 4" fluke or GY Shad Shape worm, seems smallies just can't resist it just dead stickin on the bottom. I just picked up a NRX 822s DSR for my drop shot needs just got tired of switching rigs though the Elite soft tip will easily cast 1/8oz DS. Trust me you won't be disappointed with the new Elite.

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:04 am

I'm late to this party but want to chime in since I have a Legend Extreme 70MLF. It's a couple gens older, with cork split grip and recoil guides but my opinion is the MLF version is better for DS. As reference, I've used a MXF Crucial and Dobyns DX702 and 701. I dropshot a ton for smallies on St Clair and the connecting rivers. I have not fished the MLXF blank but my buddy does and I've tried it out a few times. If you are fishing mostly less than 20 ft. deep and 1/4th oz and less with 6 and 7 lb line, then the Legend MLF blank is better, IMO. If you fish 8lb line, texas rigged plastics, and deeper water then the MLXF blank is probably better since it is hinged and shuts down quicker. The MLF will protect lighter line better as well.