Best Megabass rod for Topwater

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jm1024
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Best Megabass rod for Topwater

Post by jm1024 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:52 am

Wondering if you MB experts could offer some recommendations for a topwater rod. I'm fishing baits in the 1/4-5/8 oz range, rarely up to a 3/4 oz but that's not often. I mainly throw lighter topwaters (yellow magic/ricos, torpedos, walking baits). I'd love to hear some suggestions. It would be most helpful to hear about rods that are readily available or will have some kind of role in the 2016 line(s). Thanks all!!

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best Megabass rod for Topwater

Post by H8R » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:39 am

X4 Black Elseil

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:40 am

The Jota gets the call for me...it's a Pop Max machine.

If you like a shorter stick for lighter baits, the X4 110 Stick shines as well.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:47 am

Air bamboo popx stick.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:12 am

There have been so many good ones over the years!

I've really enjoyed the X4 Cyclone as a top water rod. It handles lighter top waters great, but if you have to step up to something at the upper end of your range, it can handle them nicely too. The 6'6" length makes walking baits easy, and it loads nicely for good distance on the cast. It's very versatile when not top water season too! It's readily available, a shade over $300 shipped here:

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=3552

The XX Jerk Bait Special also makes a very nice top water stick! Best of luck on your search, let me know if I can help out...

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:43 am

I went through the same journey as you recently and if you can keep the lure to 1/2oz then it would be the Megabass C40 Themis. Fished with an Aldebaran (it's so light, even I can look past the lack of some niceties such a clicking control knob) and a good braid like Samuari.

If you do need to use 5/8oz then look at the Expada. From people who fish this Rod then the power rating is misleading. I look forward to hearing which rod you choose as I won't be fishing again for a while as the weather in Wisconsin is too cold so it would be nice to live my fishing adventures through others in the interim ;)

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:50 am

Another vote for the Jerkbait Special. Also like the x7 Super Elsiel but it's more powerful than the JBS.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:16 am

I like the Flat Side Special since I don't mind a 7' rod for topwater. It handles up to 3/4 oz well and could probably push to 1 oz walkers if really necessary.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:54 am

The jerkbait special is my choice.

jm1024
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jm1024 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:20 am

Anyone use rods in the X7 series for topwater? Specifically I'm thinking of the Shading-X, Super Eiger or Super Elseil? Personal confession time--I currently have and use the XX Jerkbait special for topwater. I just can't quite put my finger on why I'm not loving it as a topwater rod. Maybe I have this nagging feeling there is just something "a bit more perfect" somewhere in the MB lineup for topwater. Don't get me wrong, the jbs isn't a bad rod for these techniques, it's just left me feeling a tad underwhelmed. Maybe it's my set up/line, idk. I have access to the Shimano Elite program and am planning on getting an Aldebaran so I may try that reel on the jbs and see how I feel about it.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:08 am

jm1024 wrote:Anyone use rods in the X7 series for topwater? Specifically I'm thinking of the Shading-X, Super Eiger or Super Elseil? Personal confession time--I currently have and use the XX Jerkbait special for topwater. I just can't quite put my finger on why I'm not loving it as a topwater rod. Maybe I have this nagging feeling there is just something "a bit more perfect" somewhere in the MB lineup for topwater. Don't get me wrong, the jbs isn't a bad rod for these techniques, it's just left me feeling a tad underwhelmed. Maybe it's my set up/line, idk. I have access to the Shimano Elite program and am planning on getting an Aldebaran so I may try that reel on the jbs and see how I feel about it.
The Super Elseil is the best Pop R (1/4 oz) rod I have ever used. I also use the rod for other topwater & cranks up to 1/2 oz. great rod. I don't use it over 1/2 oz due to the availability of other rods.

jm1024
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jm1024 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:09 am

BigG wrote:
jm1024 wrote:Anyone use rods in the X7 series for topwater? Specifically I'm thinking of the Shading-X, Super Eiger or Super Elseil? Personal confession time--I currently have and use the XX Jerkbait special for topwater. I just can't quite put my finger on why I'm not loving it as a topwater rod. Maybe I have this nagging feeling there is just something "a bit more perfect" somewhere in the MB lineup for topwater. Don't get me wrong, the jbs isn't a bad rod for these techniques, it's just left me feeling a tad underwhelmed. Maybe it's my set up/line, idk. I have access to the Shimano Elite program and am planning on getting an Aldebaran so I may try that reel on the jbs and see how I feel about it.
The Super Elseil is the best Pop R (1/4 oz) rod I have ever used. I also use the rod for other topwater & cranks up to 1/2 oz. great rod. I don't use it over 1/2 oz due to the availability of other rods.

The Super Elseil was actually the exact rod I was looking at. How do you feel it does with smaller walking baits, up to or a bit over 1/2 oz? Bronzefly, you care to weigh in here??

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:41 am

jm1024 wrote:
BigG wrote:

The Super Elseil was actually the exact rod I was looking at. How do you feel it does with smaller walking baits, up to or a bit over 1/2 oz? Bronzefly, you care to weigh in here??
Sure - The Super Elseil is a fine treble hook moving bait rod in general, though I'm not a big fan with a 1/4 oz Rico, but do love throwing a Rio Rico 7/16 oz on it. It's a bit on the powerful side with a 1/4 oz. top water in my hands. I prefer either the Super Criffhanger or Shading-X in the X7 line for 1/4 oz treble hook baits. The Super Criffhanger is very high on the fun factor tossing top water baits. The SE is a great spook JR. rod at 1/2 oz. as well. I've thrown a full sized Vixen on it 3/4 oz. without any problems either, though I do prefer the Diablo Fast Move X7 for those! Generally, I throw mid sized mid depth cranks on this rod than anything else.

The Tackle Trap has a few X7 models left available in stock and ready to ship, including the SCH!
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 6_956_1197

jm1024
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jm1024 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:24 am

Bronzefly, in general, what has the past timeline for MB releasing their rod lines here in the Us? Since a lot of the '15 rods in a lot of the upper range lines are sold out and done, I'll probably end up seeing what the lines above Levante and XX will offer once they come out.