Megabass XX Jerkbait Special

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Megabass XX Jerkbait Special

Post by kstephes033 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:13 am

Hey guys, so I am looking to buy another jerkbait rod. The current one I use is a denali rosewood 6'8" Medium and really close to a true moderate action. It works great for colder water when im not working the bait as much, but throughout the late spring to early fall up here i work the bait pretty quick, which with this rod I have found it to be a bit too "whippy" for this application. Wondering for those that have the Jerkbait special how the action is, is it a true medium heavy or closer to medium, would this work for the application i am needing it for, and if not what else should i consider. Baits used are LC pointer 100's, Megabass Vision, Spro McStick, and Rapala Shadow Raps, all used on 10lb floro, and likely will have a shimano chronarch ci4 7.6:1 or new alde 7.4:1. Thanks for the input!

DirtydeucegooseUSMC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass XX Jerkbait Special

Post by DirtydeucegooseUSMC » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:37 am

I've also been looking into this rod and wondering about its action. Currently fish those same baits on my flat side special just fine but would like something a little bit shorter.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Someone has to have some insight into this rod... With all the megabass rods used on this site there has to be some answers! :-k

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:35 pm

I've also eyeballed this rod. I just can't seem to pull myself away from using a 6' rod. The only reason I'm even thinking of going a hair longer is due to the limited short rod market. I used 6' m avids for several years and then to sjr723imx's. Some flavor would be nice. Buying two more 6' imx's is exciting me about as much as the shoe trees I also need to purchase.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:26 pm

I have no idea how it compares to the denali, but I really love my jerkbait special. It's mod/fast tip is great for working those baits and not too whippy IMO. It has some back bone to it and I think it's rated appropriately for 1/4- 3/4. It's a little less parabolic than the flatside special.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:26 pm

Type Megabass Jerkbait Special Tackletour into your Google search bar. Plenty of reading material available.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:39 pm

I've never used a Denali so I don't know how it compares to it. I am a true Dobyns guy. In fact, the Jerkbait special is the only non Dobyns Rod I have.

Power wise, I would say it is closer to a medium/heavy within the Dobyns non CB rods which I didn't even look at. I was so caught up in looking at the CB rods, I didn't really look at the regular line.

All in all, this is my only jerkbait setup and it has worked well for me over the last two seasons. I also throw a pencil 110 on t quite a bit and it handles it really well.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. Since I see/hear so many people using the flat side, any comparisons between the JBS and flat side for a dedicated Jerkbait rod?

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:08 pm

I also use the FS for jerkbaits. To me, it has the perfect action. It is fast enough to work the bait how I like, but just forgiving enough to help keep them hooked up. I have never fished, nor even held the jerkbait special, but prior to buying the FS, I did some research and watched some videos (including one from A. Mart.) and it seems like they are similar action/power wise, just different lengths. That being said, I would suggest just getting whichever length you would be more comfortable fishing.