Bfs rod after recon

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bfs rod after recon

Post by sqhertz » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:29 pm

The skinny grip on the phenix recon 682 is starting to get to me. It's not bad but definitely not the most comfortable.
So I'm here looking for some suggestions on what I should look into next around the $200 mark. So far I'm looking at the major craft volkey and zodias and maybe the Jackson rods if ttt gets them back in Stock.
I'd like to be able to cast the same 1/16 jigs plus trailer that I can with the recon. No preference for 1 or 2 pieces

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bfs rod after recon

Post by CGrinder » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:37 am

If St. Croix still has Legend Inshores in their bargain room, I'd check those out. Feedback seems positive. The build on mine is very nice.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:13 am

I was considering that but read the rod had a softer tip which kind of pushed me away. I'd prefer something more fast.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:58 am

Not sure if your interested, I have a new zodias 6'4L available. Would work great for 1/16oz jigs.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:18 am

Look at the Abu Volatile 6'9 medium lite. I have one and it has a nice fuller grip and I can really feel the difference going back and forth from a thin grip rod. And it's only 100 bucks

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:22 pm

I gotta say if tru 1/16 1/10 and 1/8 ounce baits are your target. That blowout Croix legend gulf coast is a very good deal.

Only complaints i have are the number of large guides at the tip and the winding check on the but has a sharp epoxy edge extending past the cork. (remedied with sandpaper)

I think i'm going to re wrap it adding in a reduction to smaller runners and tip.

check the stripersonline thread title BFS in the FW section. DId a small writeup on it.

KDogg14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by KDogg14 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:07 am

Not trying to hijack the thread but the St. Croix inshore XL model really interests me for a BFS rod especially for the price. Here's my dumb question.... What's the difference between the 13 model that sells for 135 vs. the newer model which sells for 150 other than price LOL.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:20 am

KDogg14 wrote:Not trying to hijack the thread but the St. Croix inshore XL model really interests me for a BFS rod especially for the price. Here's my dumb question.... What's the difference between the 13 model that sells for 135 vs. the newer model which sells for 150 other than price LOL.
I called St Croix and they said nothing.

KDogg14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by KDogg14 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:20 am

I ordered the 6'6 xl model and it should be here soon. I have a couple reels in mind to try…. I really hope I can throw a zoom finesse worm with no weight on 8 pound test. I'll report back in about 2 or 3 weeks once the lakes ice out in NJ.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:11 pm

KDogg14 wrote:I ordered the 6'6 xl model and it should be here soon. I have a couple reels in mind to try…. I really hope I can throw a zoom finesse worm with no weight on 8 pound test. I'll report back in about 2 or 3 weeks once the lakes ice out in NJ.
What reel/spool are you using? A Zoom Finesse Worm is pretty standard for me on any of my BFS combos with 7# Sunline Sniper FC. In fact, it's on the heavier side of BFS plastics. To add, my very first cast with a BFS combo was with an XT1000 with a Yumeya 32mm BFS Spool, I do not remember the line, Zoom Finesse Worm and a Loomis CR-721IMX. I don't want to come off as overly dramatic, but the way that the ZFW just flew with the Yumeya Spool is something that I will never forget. It's not up to par with me watching my son being born (close) but it was very exciting. :mrgreen:

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:30 pm

^ :mrgreen:

KDogg14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by KDogg14 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:43 pm

John G wrote:
KDogg14 wrote:I ordered the 6'6 xl model and it should be here soon. I have a couple reels in mind to try…. I really hope I can throw a zoom finesse worm with no weight on 8 pound test. I'll report back in about 2 or 3 weeks once the lakes ice out in NJ.
What reel/spool are you using? A Zoom Finesse Worm is pretty standard for me on any of my BFS combos with 7# Sunline Sniper FC. In fact, it's on the heavier side of BFS plastics. To add, my very first cast with a BFS combo was with an XT1000 with a Yumeya 32mm BFS Spool, I do not remember the line, Zoom Finesse Worm and a Loomis CR-721IMX. I don't want to come off as overly dramatic, but the way that the ZFW just flew with the Yumeya Spool is something that I will never forget. It's not up to par with me watching my son being born (close) but it was very exciting. :mrgreen:
You guys kill me LOL! I can't wait to fish this rod. I have an Alphas 105 SV incoming from Japan and a chronarch 50 mg to try on the rod. By reading your post above I am going to see if the setup can throw a razor worm with no weight. I will be blown away if the setup can do this! I'm also thinking of buying one of the Chinese made spools from the post in the reel section to try on my T3. I hope spring comes fast!

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:06 am

I did a mini review on the St. Croix xl rod. It's also the rod I used for my ktf spool review on the 15 aldebaran. I can cast down to 1/32 actual weight with the setup. The finesse worm is a piece of cake to throw.