More Parabolic Punch Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:59 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
goldrod wrote:Zombie 7’10”
Best everrrrrr

You live in Florida and say the power is awesome...I live in Northern Michigan so, that power may he overkill, unless targeting big pike.

BTW, the clear brake blocks needed to be the Aldebaran BFS ones (short). Forgot about your PM until boy now
What kind of vegetation are you punching through? Here in IL there is a local power plant lake that gets a lot of millfoil that I will punch through, and I like the Dobyns DX 795 Flip has enough power to do light punching in milfoil, but still has some tip to the rod. I also like the Megabass Power Versatile more of a moving bait rod, but can be used for swimjigs and jigs with more than enough power to handle the big clumps of weeds.
Milfoil mixed with lily pads (thick stem and the stringy little ones).
From what I read about the Tatula Flipping rod it has more of a stiff extra fast feel to it?
The DX 795 Flip definitely has some more flex in the tip. I have the older version not the HP.
Here is a video to show the flex of the 795 Flip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtXuTTCNHt0
Here is a review of the rod.
https://thebasscast.com/dobyns-dx-795-f ... by-saffel/
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:54 am

I think a Daiwa Regular action swimbait rod would fit your needs. I personally love daiwa’s regular action rods. Tatula Elite rods are very nice if you like the look.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:19 pm

I posted about this rod in punching thread but deserves to be mentioned again here if you’re still looking or want another. New zbone 76 heavy MOD. Parabolic, ultra sensitive, and just addicting when you pick it up and starting flipping, punching what have you. Best rod I’ve ever used for those applications so far. Just wish it wasn’t ugly as sin, but it gets a lot of twilight use and the pleasure it provides is mostly the sensation in hand. :D

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:54 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:I posted about this rod in punching thread but deserves to be mentioned again here if you’re still looking or want another. New zbone 76 heavy MOD. Parabolic, ultra sensitive, and just addicting when you pick it up and starting flipping, punching what have you. Best rod I’ve ever used for those applications so far. Just wish it wasn’t ugly as sin, but it gets a lot of twilight use and the pleasure it provides is mostly the sensation in hand. :D
Does the Z Bone MOD bend like the Helium 3 MOD 7'10?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:09 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:I posted about this rod in punching thread but deserves to be mentioned again here if you’re still looking or want another. New zbone 76 heavy MOD. Parabolic, ultra sensitive, and just addicting when you pick it up and starting flipping, punching what have you. Best rod I’ve ever used for those applications so far. Just wish it wasn’t ugly as sin, but it gets a lot of twilight use and the pleasure it provides is mostly the sensation in hand. :D
I have no experience with Helium. The zbone MOD is likely the most parabolic rod I have.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:52 am

The Megabass X7 Destruction is WAY under powered for any real punching duties. I use mine for C-Rigs and even then it requires a hell of a hookset to overcome the moderate action and meh power it has. The Black Jungle Punch & Swimbait is a great option.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:13 am

Teal101 wrote:The Megabass X7 Destruction is WAY under powered for any real punching duties. I use mine for C-Rigs and even then it requires a hell of a hookset to overcome the moderate action and meh power it has. The Black Jungle Punch & Swimbait is a great option.
My Destruction broke. I think I hit it with a weight after a failed hookset. I went to use it last summer and it broke with me unhooking the bait from the Fuji hook keeper.

I got an NFC X-Ray 7'10 9 power built up. Power is there. Taper is okay, like a mod fast. I built it to be dual purpose with small swimbaits so, I made the handle a little longer than I would prefer with a punch rod....hence why I am trying to sell it before I decide to operate. Cutting the butt is too easy. I regret using cork as I am not a fan and decided it would be cool to custom make my grips. If it dont sell, the reel seat is getting chopped off, grips too. I will then use a Fuji PMTS and carbon grips positioned a couple inches back.

I built on a NFC Flip 766 HM and it seems like a nice "finesse" pitching rod. The heavier powered X-Ray should compliment it well.

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:18 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I would contact Trey and discuss with him directly... I had a custom 7'-4" H3 MOD built and at the time, Trey offered that the new Zbone would be out in a few months and have the MOD action in it's heavy action rods. He indicated they would be very similar in taper, but more sensitive.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:15 pm

jbabin193 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I would contact Trey and discuss with him directly... I had a custom 7'-4" H3 MOD built and at the time, Trey offered that the new Zbone would be out in a few months and have the MOD action in it's heavy action rods. He indicated they would be very similar in taper, but more sensitive.
I reached out to him over a week ago and, no response.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:08 am

What's everyone's thoughts on using a 4-8 oz rated swimbait stick for punching thick coontail?

I'm looking to put together a big big bait and punching stick. All my punching is done from a kayak because the places I fiah that have big bass and mats are for non powered boats only. Also getting a new kayak with a very high seating position that looks like sitting in a lawn chair on surf board. This should open up some opportunities to punch for me.

I'm thinking Tatula 200 with 20# BG and a rays tat200 shallow spool with 65# braid for punching. Rod wise I am looking at the 13 fishing budget sticks 8'H rated 4-8 oz on the low end or a Levante Leviathan on the high end. I like to keep my kayak rigs under $400 a peice. Under $200 is even better.

I like the idea of hitting up these weed choked ponds and punching 3/4 oz ro 3 oz + bait then switching to the deep spool and chucking weedless big baits all in one stick from the yak.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:17 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:08 am
What's everyone's thoughts on using a 4-8 oz rated swimbait stick for punching thick coontail?

I'm looking to put together a big big bait and punching stick. All my punching is done from a kayak because the places I fiah that have big bass and mats are for non powered boats only. Also getting a new kayak with a very high seating position that looks like sitting in a lawn chair on surf board. This should open up some opportunities to punch for me.

I'm thinking Tatula 200 with 20# BG and a rays tat200 shallow spool with 65# braid for punching. Rod wise I am looking at the 13 fishing budget sticks 8'H rated 4-8 oz on the low end or a Levante Leviathan on the high end. I like to keep my kayak rigs under $400 a peice. Under $200 is even better.

I like the idea of hitting up these weed choked ponds and punching 3/4 oz ro 3 oz + bait then switching to the deep spool and chucking weedless big baits all in one stick from the yak.
I think it would work. Funny you mention the Leviathan combo because I have the XX version with a Tatula HD Custom and although not an exact comparison to your conditions but earlier this year just for fun tried it for fishing what can be considered "heavy" vegetation on my local pond and did it just fine. Note it wasn't super thick matted vegetation (don't have that here) but it handled it without breaking a sweat and thought it could have easily taken on more. Tied on a 1/4 texas rig just for fun and it worked too haha. No problem feeling bites either. One thing is the handle is pretty long (Levante has the same handle length) so depending on how you cast/pitch it may be awkward at times and can take some getting used to. Hope this helps.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:56 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:17 pm
LowRange wrote:

I think it would work. Funny you mention the Leviathan combo because I have the XX version with a Tatula HD Custom and although not an exact comparison to your conditions but earlier this year just for fun tried it for fishing what can be considered "heavy" vegetation on my local pond and did it just fine. Note it wasn't super thick matted vegetation (don't have that here) but it handled it without breaking a sweat and thought it could have easily taken on more. Tied on a 1/4 texas rig just for fun and it worked too haha. No problem feeling bites either. One thing is the handle is pretty long (Levante has the same handle length) so depending on how you cast/pitch it may be awkward at times and can take some getting used to. Hope this helps.
I've always heard the Leviathan is great for both big baits and punching. It's been one I have had my eye on for years in various models. I really want a cheap gen 1 Levante Leviathan to pair to the tat200. I have a WTB thread and everything. Surely someone wants to upgrade to the new Levante Leviathan and sell their old stick to me. I just want that flat black to match the tat200. I can't stick a nasty tatula on a gorgeous 21 Levante. The 13 8H sticks catch my eye and I always wanted to try a 13 Fishing stick but they are rated on the low end at 4oz. Is that too stiff for punching?

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:57 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:56 pm
i_am_R2 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I've always heard the Leviathan is great for both big baits and punching. It's been one I have had my eye on for years in various models. I really want a cheap gen 1 Levante Leviathan to pair to the tat200. I have a WTB thread and everything. Surely someone wants to upgrade to the new Levante Leviathan and sell their old stick to me. I just want that flat black to match the tat200. I can't stick a nasty tatula on a gorgeous 21 Levante. The 13 8H sticks catch my eye and I always wanted to try a 13 Fishing stick but they are rated on the low end at 4oz. Is that too stiff for punching?
The low end seems like it might be a bit much unless you are usually on the higher end of the weights mentioned? Not sure how they bend either. Sorry I am not much help with this one, the only experience I have with 13rods were a medium powered Omen and Muse and they did seem to be softer than their rated actions however I am not sure if that applies to their swimbait rods.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:18 am

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:57 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:56 pm
i_am_R2 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

The low end seems like it might be a bit much unless you are usually on the higher end of the weights mentioned? Not sure how they bend either. Sorry I am not much help with this one, the only experience I have with 13rods were a medium powered Omen and Muse and they did seem to be softer than their rated actions however I am not sure if that applies to their swimbait rods.
Thanks for the feedback.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:21 am

mark poulson wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:21 pm
I also use a Abu Garcia Veritas Winch Crankbait Rod 7'11" XH. It is rated 3/4 oz to 2 1/2 oz, and it is light, and cheap.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garc ... -WNCV.html
Because it is a crankbait rod, it has a moderate action, so it is easy to pitch/punch with, and, if a fish is stuck up
under the mat, I can keep the rod loaded until I can go in and get it.
Ha I have one of these and was thinking of using it as a punching rod next season. I got it for cheap. Initially used it to throw S Wavers but couldn't ever get bit. Been sitting since. It's actually pretty light weight and balanced for a retail $100 stick. Mine is a gen 2 I got at cost from FFO physical store for $30. I think even the current gens now get the titanium guide frames now. Too bad they have white EVA grips. Gross.

Plan was to punch with my gen 2 and then see how I like punching then move up to a higher end stick. Now I'm eyeing the 7'9" Valarie XH to do the same but with a big bait friendly upper limit. The thing is $500 though but like any of the JDM import MB sticks, if you see one you like, get it before they are gone forever or become unobtainum in price. Luckily I have a Megabass LIN10 Mars for sale.