Choosing a new rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Choosing a new rod

Post by adam lancia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:40 am

This is more about the way each of you choose a new rod. I'm trying to come up with a way to figure out what I want each rod in my arsenal to do with regards to taper, power, sensitivity, weight, length and handle position/butt length. I have some pretty decent rods and I'm happy with them right now, but when it comes to selecting a new rod for a new set of techniques which should (in theory) use very similar rod types (taper, length, power etc...) I'd rather not get it wrong AND be out a bunch of money, especially considering the used rod market at the moment. For example, I'm looking for another jig and worm rod. With sensitivity being something that one usually has to pay for (NRX for example), I'd rather not make a $500 mistake. So, would it be possible to find another rod on the lower end of the spectrum (like a Tatula) to figure out the length, taper, power etc and then replicate that but with a rod that has a more sensitive blank? Or would this example be too reliant on the sensitivity aspect to yield reliable results? Another example would be a lipless crankbait rod. Some like a moderate to moderate-fast taper, others fast.

Are there other ways to go about rod selection (aside from making friends with someone who has a ton of rods they would let me try) which minimizes the financial impact should I decide to sell a rod that doesn't really work for me...?

Thanks in advance!

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Choosing a new rod

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:51 am

only true way is to buy it and test it...at least i do! :mrgreen:

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:08 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:only true way is to buy it and test it...at least i do! :mrgreen:
I truly wish I could afford that. Maybe I need to go fishing with you sometime soon :big grin: you probably have a few rods I could try, eh? :laugh1:

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:18 pm

adam lancia wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:only true way is to buy it and test it...at least i do! :mrgreen:
I truly wish I could afford that. Maybe I need to go fishing with you sometime soon :big grin: you probably have a few rods I could try, eh? :laugh1:
sure..just let me know

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:22 pm

You'll never get a feel for one rod by buying another rod. Rods behave differently due to the material and taper.

I read my ass off. I know the MB X7 run faster than most MB rods, the C40 have a very unique fast to mod taper, the NRX are true fast to x-fast tips, the Diablos are great moving bait rods, the Elseils are workhorse mid range rods, the NRX 8x3 are amazing jig rods, etc. I research until I'm blue then I take the plunge. I dont sell many rods...

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:52 pm

Right, I'm doing a bunch of reading my self, but how do you know you want an x-fast jig rod vs a fast or mod-fast...? That's more what I'm getting at than anything. I know what the general consensus is, but will I fall into that same category, or will I tend to like something more off the beaten path?

The other thing is, I promised myself that should I be tempted to spend more than ~$250 on a rod, I would get a custom rod done rather than pay that for something off the shelf. A perfect example is the Spinbait 80 rod I'm going to have done, it's going to cost me about $300 CDN but it's going to be built with the components I want on the blank I want. This one will be a bit of a leap of faith though since I haven't fished them yet but I asked a lot of questions and took the advice of the guy building the rod for me. What I'm trying to avoid are leaps of faith :lol: I have been keeping my eyes out for used rods to try out which should (hopefully) reduce what I loose on selling a rod.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:06 pm

They each have their place :lol: I like fast sticks. But NRX fast feels different than XX fast IMO. The Ultima is different yet. To get a basic grasp of Fast vs X-Fast you could buy cheaper rods to demo, but again they will all have a different feel. The XX are fast rods with a softer tip whereas the NRX are fast with stiffer tips. It's super apparent when working a frog on the XX PP vs the 854c. The XX PP walks circles around the 854c in my hands due to that slightly softer tip...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:25 pm

I'm with Teal, If I'm using a fast rod, I prefer it to have a soft tip. Let me get my mind out of the gutter here for a sec.I got tired of playing the guessing game, so I went all custom. Speaking with builders you can get a better idea as to how each blank behaves and know you're not only getting the right tool for the job, but also the one that fits your fishing style. The problem you will run into with readily available rods is the different responses to how it fishes. What one person may consider progressive or extra fast can seriously vary from user to user. I'm rather particular to the components used on a rod, so if you really want to narrow the field you can start there. If it doesn't have the guide material/sizing, reel seat, grip material/sizing, etc. you truly want, scratch it from the list. No need to settle imo. Then you can ask about the few rods you have in mind regarding blank behavior and suggested uses.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:31 pm

adam lancia wrote:Right, I'm doing a bunch of reading my self, but how do you know you want an x-fast jig rod vs a fast or mod-fast...? That's more what I'm getting at than anything. I know what the general consensus is, but will I fall into that same category, or will I tend to like something more off the beaten path?

The other thing is, I promised myself that should I be tempted to spend more than ~$250 on a rod, I would get a custom rod done rather than pay that for something off the shelf. A perfect example is the Spinbait 80 rod I'm going to have done, it's going to cost me about $300 CDN but it's going to be built with the components I want on the blank I want. This one will be a bit of a leap of faith though since I haven't fished them yet but I asked a lot of questions and took the advice of the guy building the rod for me. What I'm trying to avoid are leaps of faith :lol: I have been keeping my eyes out for used rods to try out which should (hopefully) reduce what I loose on selling a rod.
$300 is very cheap... who is building the rod?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Sent you a PM Ryan.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:26 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:I'm with Teal, If I'm using a fast rod, I prefer it to have a soft tip. Let me get my mind out of the gutter here for a sec.I got tired of playing the guessing game, so I went all custom. Speaking with builders you can get a better idea as to how each blank behaves and know you're not only getting the right tool for the job, but also the one that fits your fishing style. The problem you will run into with readily available rods is the different responses to how it fishes. What one person may consider progressive or extra fast can seriously vary from user to user. I'm rather particular to the components used on a rod, so if you really want to narrow the field you can start there. If it doesn't have the guide material/sizing, reel seat, grip material/sizing, etc. you truly want, scratch it from the list. No need to settle imo. Then you can ask about the few rods you have in mind regarding blank behavior and suggested uses.
Going all custom is the way I'd like to go too once funds allow that. And when I do, I want to ensure each of those rods is going to fish how I want them to, which is why I'm trying you find of the shelf rods to benchmark against. I imagine it's easier for a rod builder to build based of how an off the shelf rod performs rather than relying on their interpretation of my expectations of the rods performance characteristics. If I can go to him with, "I like the 7'2" MH, but I want a more sensitive blank with lighter guides and a slightly shorter butt", that will be far easier for him to put together and I'll be getting what I want.

I hope that makes sense. Your point about it fitting my fishing style is another reason I would want to have a rod to benchmark against.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:36 pm

Firstly, if you don't already have one, make a detailed excel spreadsheet of everything you have, and then start looking for what you need.

I have the luxury of a local tackle shop to look at the NRX's. Everything else is what I read and hear from other people. One thing I like about Dobyns, is that I can always call the shop, and talk to Gary or Richard, who always take the time to help me find the right rod, and answer all my questions.

Rods are like jeans, every brand has there own special materials, sizes, actions, power ratings. It takes a while to "learn" about a brands specifications, and whether or not it fits your fishing style.

I am pretty brand loyal when it comes to rods, because I want to know exactly what I am getting, before I slap down $300+

My gear is mainly NRX for anything bottom contact, GLX and Dobyns for moving baits, with some Megabass and customs all mixed in there.

A word on customs, it took me a few builds to learn, that even with the blank in my hand, it can be fairly stressful because you just don't fully know how it will all turn out. You really need an experienced builder, who can confidently guide you during the building process. Having a custom built can be a laborious and expensive endeavor vs buying one off a rack IMO, but it can be more rewarding as well when everything works out.

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:27 pm

I do a lot of research before I buy anything but when it comes to rods, I need to have them in my hand. If I buy a rod that I haven't handled, I usually end up selling it and it is a pain to get a tube, shipping and then hoping it makes it in one piece to a new owner. Every rod maker is different. I also have the problem of not having any good shops near me.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:57 pm

zodiak311 wrote:Firstly, if you don't already have one, make a detailed excel spreadsheet of everything you have, and then start looking for what you need.

I have the luxury of a local tackle shop to look at the NRX's. Everything else is what I read and hear from other people. One thing I like about Dobyns, is that I can always call the shop, and talk to Gary or Richard, who always take the time to help me find the right rod, and answer all my questions.

Rods are like jeans, every brand has there own special materials, sizes, actions, power ratings. It takes a while to "learn" about a brands specifications, and whether or not it fits your fishing style.

I am pretty brand loyal when it comes to rods, because I want to know exactly what I am getting, before I slap down $300+

My gear is mainly NRX for anything bottom contact, GLX and Dobyns for moving baits, with some Megabass and customs all mixed in there.

A word on customs, it took me a few builds to learn, that even with the blank in my hand, it can be fairly stressful because you just don't fully know how it will all turn out. You really need an experienced builder, who can confidently guide you during the building process. Having a custom built can be a laborious and expensive endeavor vs buying one off a rack IMO, but it can be more rewarding as well when everything works out.
I couldn't agree more on your comment about an experienced builder being important. They guy I'm using for my Spinbait rod has been at it a good while. I know what you mean about it being stressful even though I have selected the components and blank because you start to second guess your choices while it's being built. I'll find out how he and I did at some point in May or June. Until then, the doubt train has a full route through my head :laugh1:
BigAl23 wrote:I do a lot of research before I buy anything but when it comes to rods, I need to have them in my hand. If I buy a rod that I haven't handled, I usually end up selling it and it is a pain to get a tube, shipping and then hoping it makes it in one piece to a new owner. Every rod maker is different. I also have the problem of not having any good shops near me.
Exactly! Shipping costs and the relative fragility of the rod all factor in to why I don't want to deal with it. Selling locally is one thing and if I can, that's what I do. I haven't been at this a long time so having the rod in hand is a big part of this whole thought process.

Thanks guys! Keep the input coming!

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:33 pm

I’ve never purchased a new rod if I couldn’t feel it in my hand prior.
There’s so many rods I’d love to order, but just can’t bite the bullet.

Although it usually equates to better components, I’ve never paralleled a higher price tag to comfort and feel preference.
This might go against the grain, but my fishing partner has a few NRX’s, and after trying one, I’m simply not a fan, my wallet thanks me!

Regardless of which route you chose, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the process ;)