Just how *regular* is a Daiwa regular taper

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Just how *regular* is a Daiwa regular taper

Post by adam lancia » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:51 am

I'm wondering if I can get away with a Daiwa regular taper, specifically the Tatula 7' MR for finesse jigs/senkos/light t-rigs. I say "get away with" because I would usually be shopping for a fast taper rod for these techniques. I have handled both the Tatula and the Zillion and really like both, but it feels like the XF tip on the Zillion might not be soft enough for what I want (mid-longer range casting vs short pitches). Any input...? Thanks in advance!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Just how *regular* is a Daiwa regular taper

Post by poisonokie » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:43 am

Oh, definitely. The reaction rods fish mod-fast and have plenty of backbone. I use the 711mhrb for jigs just fine. It helps if you use braided line, but it's not necessary. You'll get a little better casting distance, too. In my experience with wacky worms, it seems they tend to hook themselves for the most part, anyway.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:02 pm

poisonokie wrote:Oh, definitely. The reaction rods fish mod-fast and have plenty of backbone. I use the 711mhrb for jigs just fine. It helps if you use braided line, but it's not necessary. You'll get a little better casting distance, too. In my experience with wacky worms, it seems they tend to hook themselves for the most part, anyway.
Interesting, thanks for your response. So they're not a moderate taper...? That definitely keeps the Tatula on my radar, especially at it's price point. Much appreciated!

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:32 am

I have the 7' ml tatula rod. It definitely has more backbone than most moderate or regular taper rods I've come across. It's just sitting on my rod rack being unused for now. PM me if you want it, i'll give you a good deal.