Helium 3 or Dobyns DX

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Helium 3 or Dobyns DX

Post by Finesse68 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:51 pm

Hello everyone,
Somewhat new here, looking for a new rod for my Curado 51e. Main application will be drop shot and shaky heads 3/16th to 1/4oz give or take. Mostly open water on Lake Cumberland/Dale Hollow, so I could probably get away with a longer rod if anyone has any recommendations. Already own a Dobyns DX 745 and it is honestly the most sensitive rod I've fished, how do the two compare? Looking to spend $350 max, only requirements are an ECS reel seat and hopefully an open hook keeper for drop shots. Open for any recommendations

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Helium 3 or Dobyns DX

Post by Hennessy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:08 pm

I had the old dobyns dx745 & really didn't have any complaints with the rod. Just wanted a rod with better sensitivity. For the $350 range, I'd look into a kistler zbone or rep nrx. I understand $350 is your max but with only a few more dollars, you won't ever need to upgrade either rod due to wanting something lighter or more sensitive. Kistler runs a 25% off sale alot & a zbone can be had for $375. & nrx rep samples can be had from 350-400 depending on model

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:10 am

I have both the old DX and new H3 rods. Both are casting models. I feel like the H3 has the edge on the DX in feel. However the DX HP models have new Fuji guides and better blanks without all the paint. All accounts I have read note they have improved feel. The Dobyns always look and balance better and warranty support is always top notch. Kistler H3 rods cost less have the edge on feel but balance and looks are behind the DX rods IMO. I need to get a new DX HP to see how the new upgrades translate...

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:33 am

You guys all know I'm a big Dobyns fan.....so maybe take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I will say, and I really doubt anyone would disagree, that the new DX HP rods are a better rod than the 'old' DX. IMO, there are a couple things that make the rod more sensitive in hand. First, and foremost, is the improved blank material. Fishing the same models (old and new) side by side, it is easy to discern the difference. The second thing that makes the rods more sensitive is the slight, yet significant, change in taper. The new DX HP rods have more power in the upper section(s). To illustrate what I'm talking about, think of the same series of rods from any manufacture with one blank being fast action & the other being x-fast action. I guarantee that your impression is that the x-fast action rod will be more sensitive. Handles now come with better cork. Guides are now Fuji. Personally, I never had a problem with the Kigans but Fuji is Fuji - basically the gold standard.

Now it should be noted that, in my hands, the rods do fish a little bit differently. With the change in taper, I feel they fish a little more powerfully and you need to adjust the lures/techniques accordingly.

Haven't fished a Kistler in years and none of the local stores carries them so I can't give you a relevant opinion on them.

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:30 am

Thanks everyone. I'll probably hold off and see if I can't pick up a z bone or nrx in that case. Didn't think about sales or rep samples, don't mind spending a bit more for a lot more rod. Still want to try out the new DX HP, so hopefully I won't get to impatient.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:40 am

I have all rods mentioned (old and new dx and full grip h3)
Sensitivity wise New DXhp=h3>old dx
Balance new dx>old dx>h3

H3s can be had for a lot less and are better "bang for the buck" but with how well the new dx had been made and,imo, balances much better than the H3, new dx hp would be my vote. I have the 745 and 742 casting in the new hp. The 742 fishes like a 2.5 with its faster tip so keep that in mind.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:18 pm

pm sent

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks again everyone, I ended up going with an NRX 852 that I caught on sale thanks to the hot deals forum. Couldn't pass it up with all I've heard about the NRX, hope I haven't just ruined myself by grabbing one haha.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:58 pm

should be a great fit for the applications you want to fish, be sure to let us know your conclusion on the water

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:57 am

Finesse68 wrote:Thanks again everyone, I ended up going with an NRX 852 that I caught on sale thanks to the hot deals forum. Couldn't pass it up with all I've heard about the NRX, hope I haven't just ruined myself by grabbing one haha.
You are going to absolutely love that rod. The sensitivity will not allow you to out it down. Please report back!

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:29 am

Looks like I lied, I actually ordered an 842 mbr. Any major difference between it and the 852 besides the fast action?

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:31 am

The rods fish very differently. Personally, I like the one you ended up with more.

Here is a thread on the two.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=63910

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:18 am

So far I love it, definitely more sensitive in my hands than the dobyns champion extreme. It also seems to be a very versatile rod, it's handled everything very well that I've thrown on it. Thanks civicrr for the link, did notice the deeper flex when i hooked into a small mouth the other day kept it pinned well but i still felt very much in control. Appreciate all the help guys, but now I want to replace all my rods with NRX :lol: Only qualms would be a few bubbles in the epoxy around the guides, and some marring on the wrapping around the hook keeper.