Phenix Recon2 QC issues

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Phenix Recon2 QC issues

Post by legendaryyaj » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:01 am

It seems like all the rage about these rods have died down but I was just curious if anyone else had QC issues with their Recons. I just received one today and it was quite disappointing. It was packaged nicely but other than that, I was less than impressed and I don't consider myself too picky at all.

Poor handling?

Looks like some glue or something.

A nice little hole in the foam.

I read nothing but good things about these rods. This was a brand new rod from the factory ordered through Monster Tackle.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Phenix Recon2 QC issues

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Send that sucker back! I've seen a few posts regarding epoxy issues or misalignment of components, but not straight up damage. If I had to guess that happened sometime after it left the factory.

k3fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by k3fishing » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:58 pm

That thing is freakin used... I don't care what anyone says...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:06 pm

k3fishing wrote:That thing is freakin used... I don't care what anyone says...
Yep, good call

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:19 pm

That was one of my issues with the M1 series. The reel seat is painted with a faux carbon fiber and soft touch. The whole thing began peeling after 2 trips. They make a great blank, but the production rods leave a little to be desired.

Best of luck getting that resolved.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:26 am

Yeah that's not good at all! Shoot me your address and info in a PM and I'll get ya taken care of. As for the M1 soft touch seat, sometimes we trust our component suppliers a little to much. We were assured the soft touch was permanent and would not come off. Trust me, I was addimant about it since hand oils are extremely contaminant. We only used the soft touch on the first batch of rods, and once we noticed the issue, did like any good manufacture would do and switched to the same look but a glossy seat. Phenix wouldn't be as big as we are now, and sold in 28 countries if we didn't listen to or care about our customers. I don't get on TT much anymore, but if anybody ever had any issues, they are free to call the warehouse or email me anytime!! Vince@phenixrods.com

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:31 pm

Vince Borges wrote:Yeah that's not good at all! Shoot me your address and info in a PM and I'll get ya taken care of. As for the M1 soft touch seat, sometimes we trust our component suppliers a little to much. We were assured the soft touch was permanent and would not come off. Trust me, I was addimant about it since hand oils are extremely contaminant. We only used the soft touch on the first batch of rods, and once we noticed the issue, did like any good manufacture would do and switched to the same look but a glossy seat. Phenix wouldn't be as big as we are now, and sold in 28 countries if we didn't listen to or care about our customers. I don't get on TT much anymore, but if anybody ever had any issues, they are free to call the warehouse or email me anytime!! Vince@phenixrods.com
Always good to see a manufacturer on the boards especially one that gives a straight answer and takes care of his customers. =D> =D>
Any plans to market and sell your rods to South Africa?

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:52 pm

We actually had a distributor in South Africa for the last 3 years. Unfortunately he went outta business just a few months back. The name was Trailblaizer Fishing Products. Most of what he distributed was in our saltwater series of rods. As well as a series we OEMd for them.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:04 pm

Vince Borges wrote:We actually had a distributor in South Africa for the last 3 years. Unfortunately he went outta business just a few months back. The name was Trailblaizer Fishing Products. Most of what he distributed was in our saltwater series of rods. As well as a series we OEMd for them.
I see. I am pretty clued up as to what is available on the market in SA and also read all the local Bass mags. All two of them. :lol: And I have never heard of Phenix rods locally. Might explain why he went out of business. ](*,) . Maybe you should try again with another distributor. There really is not a great selection available locally and shipping costs to bring in individual rods often work out more that the price of the rods. :shock:

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:29 am

Vince,

I appreciate your response and must say your customer service is excelent. Your team was always very polite and fair when I stopped by.

Thank you,

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks so much! It's always reassuring to hear positive feedback!

AllFishedUp
Angler
Angler

Post by AllFishedUp » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:39 am

I received my Recon 2 last week from Monster as well. Thankfully mines was great with no issues. But what service by Vince and Phenix! Makes me want to try out other phenix rods

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:40 am

AllFishedUp wrote:I received my Recon 2 last week from Monster as well. Thankfully mines was great with no issues. But what service by Vince and Phenix! Makes me want to try out other phenix rods
Agreed!

A replacement is on it's way so hopefully this one is good! Great service is hard to find these days!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:01 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:
AllFishedUp wrote:I received my Recon 2 last week from Monster as well. Thankfully mines was great with no issues. But what service by Vince and Phenix! Makes me want to try out other phenix rods
Agreed!

A replacement is on it's way so hopefully this one is good! Great service is hard to find these days!
That's awesome

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:31 pm

Received replacement rod today and it is perfect!