Rod for 1/2oz - 1 1/2oz topwater?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod for 1/2oz - 1 1/2oz topwater?

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:12 am

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a rod that can throw topwater lures between 1/2 to 1 1/2 ounces. I'll also be using it for small swimbaits and glide baits like the River 2 Sea S Waver 168 (about 1 1/2 ounces). I am currently using a 6'8 St. Croix Avid Medium XFast rod for my topwater. Since I just picked up some bigger topwaters like the full size evergreen shower blows (around 1oz), whopper plopper 130 (about 1 1/2oz), deps buzzjet (1oz) and others I now need a rod that can throw these and still be able to fish a 1/2oz pop max or giant dog x.

Any suggestions in the $80-$150 price range?

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod for 1/2oz - 1 1/2oz topwater?

Post by Dink Dawg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:33 am

Dobyns Fury swimbait rod. Perfect for your application and budget.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:43 am

Which model? 735C?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:51 pm

If you want to stay with a shorter rod like the one you're using, I'd 100% get a 6'9" Heavy Hammer Rod. It's an awesome big top water rod and despite the 1 oz rating, it can handle 1.5 oz. treble moving baits just fine. It lists at $164, but with the "TT10" discount code, it works out to $147.60 shipped to your door, nicely within your budget!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=3540

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:43 am

Hey Bronzefly thanks for the suggestion. How do you like that handle? Never used anything other than cork or eva. also haven't heard of hammer rods - are they a new company?

I am kind of divided on the rod length since something 7 to 7'6 will ad some extra distance but make it a little bit harder to work the spook type baits. Since I am primarily fishing from shore the added distance would be welcomed. I wouldn't want to go over 7'6 though.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:22 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:Hey Bronzefly thanks for the suggestion. How do you like that handle? Never used anything other than cork or eva. also haven't heard of hammer rods - are they a new company?

I am kind of divided on the rod length since something 7 to 7'6 will ad some extra distance but make it a little bit harder to work the spook type baits. Since I am primarily fishing from shore the added distance would be welcomed. I wouldn't want to go over 7'6 though.
The Winn Grips are comfortable in my hands. They feel a little bit different at first, but they're easy to grip and I like the way they feel. They aren't a new company, they are a small company whose rods are extremely impressive in their respective price range. They're made in the US, have a great warranty (registration to original owner required), and the owners of the company are really good people.

As far as length goes, you could step it up to the 7', 7'3", or 7'6" model as they're all available. I've thrown the 5" Bull Shad quite a bit on the 7'3" MH and it's handled it just fine, though generally, I'd prefer the H.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:23 pm

I got that same Hammer rod for the exact same reason and I love it!!! What I love is the fact it is stout enough to walk the bait without having a whippy tip slowing you down but when you set the hook and apply pressure the rod will flex if the fish makes a run or sudden surge. I have only used my rod for 3 trips as we are in early spring right now but I got out with it right before Christmas and then the last week of February and last week and I'm liking more and more. I have thrown my full size Super Spook on it just to get a feel for it when that time comes and so far working the bait is awesome, I have no doubt it can handle 1.5oz as it had no problem with 7/8oz. I really had fun chucking a 1/2oz chatterbait with it and my only fish came off of that and it was a 4lb 4oz fish that pulled just enough to give me a good preview of the rods capabilities. I'm also looking forward to throwing my larger square bills on it, I have some 5/8oz and 3/4oz baits that are perfect for this rod, to say I'm happy is an understatement. The Winn Grip feels fantastic, and it is low key, no bling or any fancy graphics, just a no-nonsense rod with a raw unfinished blank that offers nothing put performance, a good rod for your needs.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:21 am

Gary/smalljaw,

Can you describe the action of the heavy power Hammer rod a little more? I assume if it can handle large treble hook baits it would also handle spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, etc.? Is it mod/fast?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:20 pm

Tigerbass wrote:Gary/smalljaw,

Can you describe the action of the heavy power Hammer rod a little more? I assume if it can handle large treble hook baits it would also handle spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, etc.? Is it mod/fast?
If you read my post you'll see that my only fish with this rod so far has come off of a 1/2oz chatterbait. I love it for throwing chatterbaits and I know spinnerbaits are also going to be a good be really good on it as well. It is tough to list the action since the rod flexes based on a gradual power curve and with a 4lb. fish it flexes in what can be described as a mod-fast but there isn't any shut off point and the rod isn't soft. For treble hook baits it is 1/2oz and over, for spinnerbaits I'd say 3/8oz would be the starting point but it will shine with 1/2oz and better. I can't find the right words to describe it but I still smile when I pick it up and think of what I paid for that rod, it really works for my needs and has now become my chatterbait rod as well.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Tigerbass wrote:Gary/smalljaw,

smalljaw - I'm glad you're pleased with the rod! I'm convinced that Hammer Rods are among the best, if not the best value rod out there. As long as they can keep them under the $200 mark, they'll continue to grow in popularity.

Tigerbass - Hammer Rods feature a moderate fast taper making them extremely versatile, more like traditional JDM tapered rods. They tend to fish a shade lighter than you'd expect based on the rating - a "Heavy" fishes more like a strong "Medium Heavy" and so on... The 6'9" Heavy is a great target casting of larger spinner baits, chatter baits, larger top water, and can easily handle skipping and target casting of jigs with impressive sensitivity too.

This is an FLW review article on them from a few months back:
http://www.flwfishing.com/tips/2015-11- ... shing-rods

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:40 am

Gary when throwing the 1.5oz baits on this rod do you need to lob cast them or can you load up the rod like a regular cast? I already have a 6'6 MH rod so if this rod is more like a Medium Heavy then I want something closer to a true heavy action.

By the way I want to thank you - a few years ago I sent my Daiwa Zillion to have a new TDZ 100M spool put in on your recommendation. Man that thing makes the reel perform so good!!! I was always a Shimano guy and this was my first Daiwa since I got it on sale when they were revamping the Zillion line a few years ago. I really love the reel just wish it was a tad lighter. Because of that now I been thinking about picking up the new Zillion SV TW.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:11 am

jerkbait22 wrote:Gary when throwing the 1.5oz baits on this rod do you need to lob cast them or can you load up the rod like a regular cast? I already have a 6'6 MH rod so if this rod is more like a Medium Heavy then I want something closer to a true heavy action.

By the way I want to thank you - a few years ago I sent my Daiwa Zillion to have a new TDZ 100M spool put in on your recommendation. Man that thing makes the reel perform so good!!! I was always a Shimano guy and this was my first Daiwa since I got it on sale when they were revamping the Zillion line a few years ago. I really love the reel just wish it was a tad lighter. Because of that now I been thinking about picking up the new Zillion SV TW.
I was fishing the 5" Bull Shad on the 7'3" MH and just loading and slinging. I didn't worry about lobbing it at all. I've fished a Super Spook at about 1 oz. on the 6'9" Heavy and same thing, just loading and slinging. The 6'9" H is a pretty stout rod, the flex is just deeper into the blank. I'd be surprised if it didn't have noticeably more power than your 6'6"MH.

You're welcome! Those 100M spools are gems, too bad they're gone now. I'm not a huge T-Wing fan myself, but the new SV103 is certainly worthy of consideration. I've been impressed with mine.

Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can talk over the rod options one day this week if you like...

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:43 pm

bronzefly wrote:
jerkbait22 wrote:Gary when throwing the 1.5oz baits on this rod do you need to lob cast them or can you load up the rod like a regular cast? I already have a 6'6 MH rod so if this rod is more like a Medium Heavy then I want something closer to a true heavy action.

I was fishing the 5" Bull Shad on the 7'3" MH and just loading and slinging. I didn't worry about lobbing it at all. I've fished a Super Spook at about 1 oz. on the 6'9" Heavy and same thing, just loading and slinging. The 6'9" H is a pretty stout rod, the flex is just deeper into the blank. I'd be surprised if it didn't have noticeably more power than your 6'6"MH.

You're welcome! Those 100M spools are gems, too bad they're gone now. I'm not a huge T-Wing fan myself, but the new SV103 is certainly worthy of consideration. I've been impressed with mine.

Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can talk over the rod options one day this week if you like...

Gary, any Hammer recommendation for throwing the MAGNUM extra deep cranks like the 10XD and the LC SKT 120 DEEP. Something with a Glass type parabolic action. ?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:11 am

E73Bass wrote:
bronzefly wrote:

Gary, any Hammer recommendation for throwing the MAGNUM extra deep cranks like the 10XD and the LC SKT 120 DEEP. Something with a Glass type parabolic action. ?
I would think the only rod in that line up would be the 7'11" XX heavy, they don't list a taper because they all have a deeper flex, my heavy power is like a mod-fast. I'm not throwing cranks like that but if I did I would think either that rod or if you wanted it just a tad shorter the 7'6" XX heavy swim bait rod would work but I think you want to the length. The most important thing is the rod will give you the flex you need without being too stiff or too soft but Gary has used a lot of different models, I only have 1 but I do plan on adding more over time.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:45 pm

In that budget I would go for the Dobyns FR 795SB without hesitation. I do not own that exact rod but I do own the 795MLSB version with nearly identical specs and I can't imagine anything that feels more perfect for baits under 2oz or large topwater in general, which is exactly what you plan to use it for.