Zodias Rod Handle Modification

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
keane_a
Angler
Angler

Zodias Rod Handle Modification

Post by keane_a » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:01 am

Thought I would share this, since like some folks, I love the Zodias rods, but found that the small diameter handle made the rod very uncomfortable to fish. This is especially true on long fishing days like tournament fishing.

So I purchased some fishing handle flocked shrink tubing in 1.18" inner diameter from Mud Hole.

http://www.mudhole.com/Flocked-Rubber-Shrink-Tube

Now, I would strongly recommend that you use a heat gun if you decide to do this mod. Something other than that may not work as well.

I cut to length and installed. Took the rod on the lake and tried it out. What a difference this mod made. I was seriously thinking of trading the rods out for something else, but not anymore. I think Shimano should have engineered the handles similar to this from the very beginning. I love the action, guides, sensitivity and fishibilty of the Zodias rods, but the rod handle size was very undesirable to me.

After trying the rods out all day, I also decided to add another layer to increase the rod handle size just a little more. The second layer of rubber shrink made fishing these rods even better.

So what did I sacrifice? I think I may have sacrificed a small amount of sensitivity in the handle (mostly due to the second layer of rubber shrink), but I find that this mod is worth it, as fishing with these rods are now much more enjoyable.

I read and learn a lot on this website, so I thought I would share my experience. If you do the mod, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (71.05 KiB) Viewed 4945 times

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zodias Rod Handle Modification

Post by triple_illusion » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Dude thats a pretty cool mod, thanks for sharing!

Jdmbiggie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jdmbiggie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:29 pm

rod looks must sexier with the new wraps =D>

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:57 pm

Yeah that is a nice mod you made I might give it a try :talk hand:

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:24 am

Nice rod mod. The smallish diameter is the only "gripe" I've had with the Zodias lineup. Thanks!

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:44 am

Pretty cool. Now you've got the X wrap from top to bottom.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:47 am

I've been thinking about just something like this for my Daiwa Zillion rod. I like the rod quite a lot but the grip seems to be uncomfortable narrow. Perhaps also I'm not used to the EVA grips squishing a bit, all my other rods have cork.

keane_a
Angler
Angler

Post by keane_a » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

Just went fishing after work today and that rubber shrink is good stuff. It is a little more tacky than the original foam, which I also like much better. Couldn't be happier and this was money and time well spent.