Do you still fish a med 6'6 fast rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Do you still fish a med 6'6 fast rod?

Post by spookybaits » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:16 am

So there's an old line of rods I really like that I'm always keeping an eye out for.
Recently a new old stock 6'6m fast baitcasting model showed up on my radar... :-k

A 6'6m fast rod BC rod used to be a staple in every bass fisherman's arsenal, but in 2016 it almost seems like an obsolete spec'd rod, with everyone gravitating towards 7ft+ MH fast or xfast for what the 6'6m fast used to get called on for.

So I'm wondering- do you still find a medium power 6'6 fast an essential bc rod?
In other words I'm trying to talk myself into buying it :mrgreen:

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Do you still fish a med 6'6 fast rod?

Post by Brad in Texas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:30 am

A 6'6" is a great rod but everyone seems to be going extra long these days. Longer rods do cast very well but there are so very many applications where a long cast isn't made or even desired.

But, here's what is in your favor with a 6'6" over a 7' or 7'+: leverage.

A 6'6' rod is more powerful than a 7 or 7+ footer in the sense that the lever is shorter and you can apply more force through it as you lift and reel in line. It would be analogous to lifting a 10 lbs. barbell plate with a 10 ft. broomstick versus a shorter one. Shorter wins.

Add to this that a medium powered rod will bend a bit more under the same pressure than a MH or H from a decent sized bass fighting against you . . . and the deeper bend itself further shortens the lifting lever making it even more powerful fighting a large fish.

The fast tip is likely a good idea as it will allow the rod to better set the hook.

Brad

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:38 am

Why rod companies making so many flipping sticks in 7'5" and over range, with no necessity of long cast, never seen a short flipping stick on the market yet.

Abu Daimano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Abu Daimano » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:43 pm

If you want it, that's good enough reason to buy it - the TT way! :lol:

My love of JDM has brought several Daiko rods into my collection - including a 6'6 MH Burroughs and a 6'6 H Karisma. Leverage is a big one for this length - the Karisma is a pitching dream stick. The other thing I like about this length is how portable and easy to use they are. Not that 7'+ rods are unwieldy or cumbersome, but there's something extra about how a 6'6 feels in hand on the water. I see a 6'6 M Karisma in my future if possible.

In short, just get the damn thing for one reason or another :mrgreen:

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:47 pm

Looks like 6'8" & 6'9" are the new 6'6" rod. I still enjoy short rods especially for casting to targets. Great for casting Pop R's at stumps and grass edges. Shorter rods are usually more accurate than longer rods. I don't see flipping or deepwater fishing any under 7'3", bit I still enjoy my shorter rods. Brian you're going to have rebuilt some of those All Star TWS you're hording. :lol:

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:38 pm

I think a 6'6" M rod is perfect for me when using walking baits and jerkbaits. Long enough to get a good cast and short enough to not slap the water or get in the way.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:47 pm

I still use a 6'6" M (Megabass), for most topwater and think it is perfect.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:08 pm

medium/fast is still my preferred rod for many applications but I find 6'6" uncomfortably short. I don't know how to describe it, it just feels wrong. It's been 15-16 years since I regularly used a 6'6" rod. I prefer 7'2"+ but feel fine with 7'. The only casting rod I own under 7' that I actually use is my Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth rod and that is because it is the only 2 piece casting rod I own. I've considered a shorter rod for topwater/jerkbaits but I really haven't had much of an issue making a 7' rod work for those.

I'm just praying for the NRX 902c/903c to be born. If they make that stick, I would honestly probably only own a handful of those and my two 893c and not have much use for anything else for my bass fishing needs.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:06 pm

I still use the 6'6" medium power, fast action rod and a 6'6" MH-F. I was fishing since I was a kid but got into bass fishing in the early 80s, and I remember the 6'6" being considered a long rod, and most guys using 5'6" to 6' rods. My 6'6" M-F is my all-purpose river rod, when in the small boat I need rods that can do multiple presentation and 6'6" M-F fits because the fishing is more target oriented than distance. The 6'6" MH-F is my close contact jig and spinnerbait stick, when I'm pitching jigs it is with a 7'2" but then I get those areas that I can't get in to and it is too far for a pitch and too short for a big cast so that is when that rod comes into play, and in my waters I use it a lot, it may even be the main rod on some days.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:24 pm

6'6m fast action is still my rod of choice for topwaters and jerkbaits.

This week I was fishing with mostly 7'6 rods and I picked up a 6'8 one day because I had mostly open water and did not need the power. Wow, talk about less effort to cast!

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:35 am

I don't have a rod right now that fits those specs. However I do have a 6 foot casting rod that I still use for topwater and jerkbaits. It is one of the older Team Daiwa rods and is still in good condition considering it is probably 20+ years old.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:33 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
I know it's good specs for topwater/jerkbaits/cranks but I have all those bases covered.
Just kind of wondering if people still fish plastics on a 6'6.

I'm gonna go for it. I figure I can use it for weightless trick worms & tiny texas rigs, or maybe a dedicated 110 rod or tiny paddle tails, maybe even 1/8oz spinnerbaits & buzz baits. Or just make it a kayak rod or a back up moving bait rod.
Hopefully the bidding stays low. [-o<
BigG wrote:Looks like 6'8" & 6'9" are the new 6'6" rod. I still enjoy short rods especially for casting to targets. Great for casting Pop R's at stumps and grass edges. Shorter rods are usually more accurate than longer rods. I don't see flipping or deepwater fishing any under 7'3", bit I still enjoy my shorter rods. Brian you're going to have rebuilt some of those All Star TWS you're hording. :lol:
I will! Just counted- I have 7 of them. I think that should be enough topwater rods... Maybe :-k
:D
They'll definitely be getting new sic guides this winter, but one of them is gonna get the deluxe treatment- Fuji titanium guides, torzite rings, and slim Eva foam handle.
Abu Daimano wrote:If you want it, that's good enough reason to buy it - the TT way! :lol:

My love of JDM has brought several Daiko rods into my collection - including a 6'6 MH Burroughs and a 6'6 H Karisma. Leverage is a big one for this length - the Karisma is a pitching dream stick. The other thing I like about this length is how portable and easy to use they are. Not that 7'+ rods are unwieldy or cumbersome, but there's something extra about how a 6'6 feels in hand on the water. I see a 6'6 M Karisma in my future if possible.

In short, just get the damn thing for one reason or another :mrgreen:
Yes! Those daiko burroughs are on my shortlist too! I've spent many an hour sifting through Japanese websites that sell used rods.
I will own a burroughs one of these days!

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:38 am

Check out some of the older Daiwa Heartland rods,they are special :)

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:49 am

Picked up a 166 poison adrena for tossing pop-x and other light top waters. I'm more accurate with a shorter rod; dropping into pockets and along pads. Can be over powered with baits over 1/2 oz; but in the true tt way, just purchase another stick for heavier tops...just sayin'.

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:47 am

I prefer longer rods, but a 6.6 rod is very practical in many situations, for exemple in a kayak or a bellyboat.
It is also easier to skipp a lure with a shorter rod than with a 7.4 rod. Shot rods are also very convenient for topwater or vertical metal jigs.