Diawa Tatula Spinning Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
joe chum
Angler
Angler

Diawa Tatula Spinning Rods

Post by joe chum » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:25 am

There seems to be alot of rave reviews on the Tatula casting rods but I can't find anything on the spinning rods. Anybody have any feedback on the spinning rods.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Diawa Tatula Spinning Rods

Post by big_gee » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:53 am

The Tatula spinning rods I think are great. I have several of them that I use. I use them for tubes, light jigs, jerkbaits (hard and soft), and dropshotting. I'm actually starting to add the Cronos to my line up as well. I'm liking the lengths on Cronos for casting light baits a long distance.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Tats for the price.

joe chum
Angler
Angler

Post by joe chum » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks! I'm thinking of p/u the 7'1" ML/XF.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:25 pm

I actually have the 7'1" ML that I used for dropshotting smallies on Erie. It performed great but my reel seat was too big or something from the factory because every reel that I put on it would shimmy. There was some play even with the reel locked down. Besides that, the gold thread used to wrap the guides looks like they are getting washed out from the UV. Purely cosmetic but it makes it feel rather cheap.

joe chum
Angler
Angler

Post by joe chum » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:15 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:I actually have the 7'1" ML that I used for dropshotting smallies on Erie. It performed great but my reel seat was too big or something from the factory because every reel that I put on it would shimmy. There was some play even with the reel locked down. Besides that, the gold thread used to wrap the guides looks like they are getting washed out from the UV. Purely cosmetic but it makes it feel rather cheap.
Don't like the sound of that. I was going to put a Stradic 2500 on it.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:46 pm

interesting. i've had three tatula spinning rods (two of the 6'11" ML/XF and a 7'2" MH/XF) and the reel seats were all tight on mine...in fact, too tight with various daiwa and shimano spinning reels...even when tightened down as much as i dared, it left a 1/16" to 1/8" gap between the locking nut (rear part) and the rest of the handle that drove me nuts. i'd rather have it loose because it's super easy to shim it with paper and thin sheets of plastic for a perfect fit.

as for the gold trim, that was another area that drove me nuts because it didn't all match. the thread used was kind of a greenish gold while the trim on the handle is an orangey gold.

but, as for the rods, i liked 'em a lot. light and sensitive and the handles are actually very comfy. i would, however, avoid the 6'11" ML model unless you like stinger (solid graphite) tips.
Last edited by 21farms on Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

joe chum
Angler
Angler

Post by joe chum » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:49 pm

21farms wrote:interesting. i've had three tatula spinning rods (two of the 6'11" ML/XF and a 7'2" MH/XF) and the reel seats were all tight on mine...in fact, too tight with various daiwa and shimano spinning reels...it left a 1/16" to 1/8" gap that drove me nuts. i'd rather have it loose because it's super easy to shim it with paper and thin sheets of plastic for a perfect fit.

as for the gold trim, that was another area that drove me nuts because it didn't all match. the thread used was kind of a greenish gold while the trim on the handle is an orangey gold.

but, as for the rods, i liked 'em a lot. light and sensitive and the handles are actually very comfy. i would, however, avoid the 6'11" ML model unless you like stinger (solid graphite) tips.
I didn't realize it was a stinger tip. Not what I'm looking for. Thanks for the heads up.

jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jte54 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:33 am

Have any of you used the 7' medium? How is it for skipping shakeyheads and wacky jigheads?

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:47 am

I have the 7'M and the 7'1"ML and like them both. As I said previously I like my tatulas unfortunately I did not say which ones I have. I don't have the 6'11" because of the tip. The 7'1"ML I use for dropshotting, jighead wacky, small jerkbaits (hard and soft) I do also use it for skipping light baits. I really like this rod for these techniques. The 7'M I use for tubes, light C-rigs, jig and jekrbaits (hard and soft). It does have a good tip for skippinig baits and has plenty of backbone.

I recently started switching over to the Cronos as I'm really liking the Cronos. They are lighter and more sensitive. I also like the looks of them better. I will keep my Tats for back ups.